KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite grips are the
Pro Grip 719 RVGS Gel Grips
I have run these on most of my street bikes and love how they feel and perform. The stock KTM grips are a bit on the hard side.

Got a question for those of you who have changed their grips to something aftermarket.

Changing left side grip is a no brainer but the throttle side has that big fat enlarged area on the inboard portion of throttle tube. Was wondering how that area works with an aftermarket grip.

Would love to hear and see what you guys have done with the throttle side to install your new grip. Pictures would be appreciated too.

Cheers.

Technology Line Carbon Violet Cylinder

Registered
I have run these on most of my street bikes and love how they feel and perform. The stock KTM grips are a bit on the hard side.

Got a question for those of you who have changed their grips to something aftermarket.

Changing left side grip is a no brainer but the throttle side has that big fat enlarged area on the inboard portion of throttle tube. Was wondering how that area works with an aftermarket grip.

Would love to hear and see what you guys have done with the throttle side to install your new grip. Pictures would be appreciated too.

Cheers.

View attachment 5844

Cheers.

View attachment 5844
Buy 2 sets this is what I did on my Duke and Husqvarna when installing heat wraps.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did remove OEM grips with razor and used the larger grips of the 2 sets to go over shaved OEM tubes.
I understand this process but the point of my question deals with inboard end of the throttle tube where it fattens up to almost the diameter of the actuation housing. You cannot cut this fat section off so I am thinking the new grip with its narrow fat end will look funny pushed up against the throttle tube fat section. Also the new grip is aprox 5 inches long but the throttle tube fat area reduces this to 4.5 inches. Did you have to cut off about 1/2 an inch to fit?

Could you post a close up picture of your grip installed on the throttle side?

Thanks.

Registered
I understand this process but the point of my question deals with inboard end of the throttle tube where it fattens up to almost the diameter of the actuation housing. You cannot cut this fat section off so I am thinking the new grip with its narrow fat end will look funny pushed up against the throttle tube fat section. Also the new grip is aprox 5 inches long but the throttle tube fat area reduces this to 4.5 inches. Did you have to cut off about 1/2 an inch to fit?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Husky man. Thanks for the quick reply with pics!

Looks like the grip is hanging over the bar end weight. Does the grip rub on it?

Registered
No it is not hanging over might be the black tape your seeing on heated pads. I have hand guards on and everything works as it should.

Registered
I fit Grip Puppies to my bikes. I like the fatter, softer grip, as hard grips make my arthritic hands ache sooner. Heated grips still work fine through Grip Puppies. They are easy to fit with a bit of soapy water, but will need a bit of trimming. The Missenden Flier has a thing on you tube about fitting them.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I fit Grip Puppies to my bikes. I like the fatter, softer grip, as hard grips make my arthritic hands ache sooner. Heated grips still work fine through Grip Puppies. They are easy to fit with a bit of soapy water, but will need a bit of trimming. The Missenden Flier has a thing on you tube about fitting them.
Thanks Bristol for chiming in. Grip Puppies are a very simple solution but with one caveat. If you have small hands like I do their diameter is just a bit too large.

I have used them on a couple of bikes. Connie 14 and 1190 Adventure. While using them I found that my hands would fatigue much faster than with smaller diameter grips.

Registered
Thanks Bristol for chiming in. Grip Puppies are a very simple solution but with one caveat. If you have small hands like I do their diameter is just a bit too large.

I have used them on a couple of bikes. Connie 14 and 1190 Adventure. While using them I found that my hands would fatigue much faster than with smaller diameter grips.
I thought I had smallish hands ( size 9). And find Grip Puppies are brilliant on the 790D.
I have found them too big over grips on 1" bar cruiser types grips.

Registered
790 Duke 2020
Grip Puppies enable my slightly arthritic hands to remain more 'open', which relaxes my grip and eases the eventual pains that set into my wrists and thumbs. When I was younger I never gave it a thought and could ride any old thing. But getting older has lots of unexpected and unwelcome surprises. 馃

Registered
For us "oldies" who do get the tingles - Oxford Palm Rest. I have one on the R3.
Glove choice does (ime) make a difference too.

Registered
790 Duke 2020
I found the similar 'Crampbuster' very relaxing on nice smooth tarmac roads or motorways.
However, our rough choppy UK 'B' roads can create other problems. On my Kawasaki Z900, which had good fuelling, instant throttle response and plenty of grunt, I banked into a tight left-hander in a spirited way, hit a bump which caused my hand to jolt on the throttle, which in turn caused the rear tyre to immediately lose grip. A nasty tank-slapper nearly threw me into the scenery. Luckily the inherent stability of the Z's geometry saved the day and I powered out of the bend unscathed, but it was scary.
Maybe if I had not had the Crampbuster, the bump would not have translated into my moving the throttle and causing the rear tyre to lose traction. Who knows? But for most of the time they definitely ease the arm-pump and help to relax the right hand.

Registered
Maybe if I had not had the Crampbuster, the bump would not have translated into my moving the throttle and causing the rear tyre to lose traction. Who knows? But for most of the time they definitely ease the arm-pump and help to relax the right hand.
My findings over "sleeping Policemen" etc is you're just as likely to blip the throttle whether a palm rest is there or not. For distance I have a rest on the left side of the R3 as well.

Arm pump can be made really bad if you have gloves with a loose liner in the palm. I'd forgotten all about this until I recently purchased some 4-season gloves. Fine on the R3 with Palm Shelves. but the grip would rotate shut a bit on the 790D without you really being aware of it. They are nice and warm though!.

Registered
Gloves deserve a thread of their own, but here are my thoughts.

I like unlined summer gloves all year round, although I don't ride when it's too cold. Winter gloves are just too thick for me. I'd rather turn the heated grips to maximum and use summer gloves. I carry a spare pair in case a pair get wet. They fit nicely in the tank bag. I like short gloves tucked under the sleeve.

Summer gloves allow me to retain maximum feel and I never have a problem with liners moving inside the glove.

Registered
I like unlined summer gloves all year round, although I don't ride when it's too cold. Winter gloves are just too thick for me.
I use summer gloves too in preference (including laminated waterproof). Halvarssons summer gloves are lined with aramid put it's stitched to the leather palm. I am a big fan.
On my Spain-UK runs which have often been the border of cool/too cool I like to have a warm waterproof set handy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.