KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Mark from the Seattle area, my current bikes are 2012 Tiger Roadie, Ducati Diavel and Triumph Bobber. I'm thinking of trading the Tiger in for a Duke 790.

I love the Tiger, but it is tall and heavy and carries its weight high. I'd really like to know what existing owners think of the seat height particularly, and the long-distance comfort.

Given how much lighter the 790 is than the Tiger, seat height is not such a huge issue, and I know there is a lowering kit available. I'm still curious what shorter-legged riders think.

Cheers,

- Pasta

·
Registered
18 Posts
G'day Pasta

Welcome to the forum. Just did a long ride, and I felt comfort wise the stock seat although firm, is fine comfort wise. Probably not as comfortable as your Tiger, but okay all the same.

You might find the standard height already low enough. I am 6ft, but very flat footed on this bike. You can get 3 ergo seat options, and I am going the other way, 20mm higher.

I just read a blog of a rider who commented on the -20mm version. His opinion was as the seat is fairly wide, it felt 5mm lower not 20mm lower. But you can get lowering kits as well.

The low weight and geometry make this bike very easy to ride in tight traffic; but even better on the open road in twisties, the ability to change direction in and through bends; it is excellent.

All the best.

Zank

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome to the forum Pasta. And I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the ergonomics and handling of the Duke. I'd suggest taking it for a test ride though, as your preferences may be a bit different.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi. Greetings from Spokane.
Owner of a 1299 Super Duke R. Considering selling it ( love it ) for a 790.
At 78 I find myself thinking a lighter smaller bike might be the ticket.

I’ve ownes a lot of KTM’s. Haven’t been disappointed in any of them.

·
Wish You Were Here
619 Posts
I used to bike with standard seat but found 3 hours was enough
went for the +20mm seat its now the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden 6 hours no problems

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi. Greetings from Spokane.
Owner of a 1299 Super Duke R. Considering selling it ( love it ) for a 790.
At 78 I find myself thinking a lighter smaller bike might be the ticket.

I’ve owned a lot of KTM’s. Haven’t been disappointed in any of them.

78, that's great, yes I can understand wanting a lighter bike, the mind thinks it is still 40 but the body just gets weaker.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sold the 1290 got the 790. Course just in time for winter so its covered up and hooked up to the battery tender till spring.
Managed a very short ride and wow it is fun. I loved the 1290 and had it for almost 5 years. But this bad boy is going to be fun.

regarding the Diavel - I had occasion this past fall to meet up with a group of sport riders. One of them had a Ducati Hypermoto and I was on my 1290. There was a guy who was on the Diavel. He wasn't a very capable rider but that bike is fast. Every time he had a straight stretch he'd wind that thing up and make a run but sure as **** I'd stay with him but could never quite pass him because it was our favorite twistie road. He'd hit the brakes and slow way up, so I'd be right on his ass.
It took me a little while to figure him out but I eventually had to pass him on the inside on a curve - that bike hauls ass and sounds great, too. Riding behind it and looking at that big ass rear wheel is very cool.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I swopped a tiger 800 for the 790. I am 5 foot 9 so seat height no issue. It's way more torquey and quicker than the tiger. I'm not bothered about comfort, a small price to pay...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm only 5'5" with a 29" inseam. I'm also letting my Tiger 800 go in exchange for a 790 Duke. My Tiger is the XCx low version which is about the same height as a Roadie. I am waiting on my 790 to arrive so I've only sat on one that was already sold. I touched the ground just fine, better than I did on my 1290 Super Duke or my 690 Duke. Having owned and loved both of those bikes, I'm hoping the 790 will be my Goldilocks. I also plan to travel on mine. I've owned many of the "proper" touring bikes over the years but these days I prefer to exchange some of the luxury of tourers for the enjoyment of light weight performance...and I mostly avoid Interstates.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am doing a tour around Spain on mine next year with a group who are also going to the MotoGP in Jerez. Just had an outline itinerary and we will be done about 2.5K miles in ten days over the fantastic roads over there.
Just a screen needed next, awaiting the Givi one due soon.

·
Wish You Were Here
619 Posts
I am doing a tour around Spain on mine next year with a group who are also going to the MotoGP in Jerez. Just had an outline itinerary and we will be done about 2.5K miles in ten days over the fantastic roads over there.
Just a screen needed next, awaiting the Givi one due soon.
That's a serious ride out :grin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts