KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your go to Motorcycle GPS app for route planning and turn by turn navigation?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
A TomTom 550 GPS which I'm very happy with after replacing my 15 year old Garmin. I do quite a bit of pre-route planning on my desktop PC using TomTom My Drive and also have it on my phone. Does everything I want of it.

·
Super-Moderator
679 Posts
I asked the same question here, a few months back. Based on recommendations tried calimoto, which is great, but will cost a lot for more than a single map, and Kurviger that does about the same but with a more basic UI. Ended up Buying the Pro version of Kurviger, for $10, lifetime. It's a nice app.

With all that said, purchased a Rider 550, for $279 on Amazon, before a longer road trip. Comes with lifetime maps, traffic and more. Good planner function, on PC, mobile or the device, for motorcycle riding, and all the hardware you can think of, for installation. Not looking back. For heavy duty MC navigation it is way better solution, imho.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Comes with lifetime maps, traffic and more.
Does it do the auto rerouting thing?

I have "built in" TomTom in the car with auto rerouting. On Sunday's drive to the coast it rerouted us down a service road for 2 miles - turns out the motorway had a helicopter on it. Traffic and the camera warnings are good too.

I am not a fan of SatNav on the bike tbh, And as I don't think I'll be doing many more long hauls (COVID has made me lazy - I admit), I don't really intend to get one.

But I confess that the rerouting thing is great.

·
Super-Moderator
679 Posts
It does. And it has the ability to route for motorcycles, based on level of "twisty-ness" and "hilly-ness". It does round trips, so great for weekend adventures. The routes it picked for us, over a few hundred miles over the past weekend, were great.

I also has a route library to choose from and a lot of other cool functions.

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
298 Posts
Im using rever with maps uploaded from Sign in - Google Accounts. Ill save my maps then convert them to a gpx file which I can upload to the app then follow the route on the phone. It worked well enough and saved me the $500 of a dedicated motorcycle GPS.

Ill check out the rider 550 though.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It does. And it has the ability to route for motorcycles, based on level of "twisty-ness" and "hilly-ness". It does round trips, so great for weekend adventures. The routes it picked for us, over a few hundred miles over the past weekend, were great.

I also has a route library to choose from and a lot of other cool functions.
But I miss folding paper maps dammit!.

·
Super-Moderator
679 Posts
I do too. But know I need to remember taking a nap, find my readers......

Getting old and lazy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts