KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 3, went to local dealer and they installed the Tech Pack and CC.
I bought the switch and asked them to install the software and I'd do the switch myself (I hate paying people to do stuff I can do).

They said sure, took my $1100 and an hour or so later, off I went.
They told me CC light would blink because it doesn't have the multiswitch with the CC installed yet (assuming the blinking would stop once it was).
So I installed the switch and still blinky so need to go back and have them take a look, maybe reload the CC software?

I should have documented the switch install...
It's a little fiddly but pretty simple.
Since your going to lose your headlight elevation adjustment, point the bike at a wall or garage door and mark the cutoff so you can put it back in the same place.

Remove headlight (loosen 2 lower bolts, unscrew top adjustment screw, rotate forward, disconnect connector, remove lower bolts, remove headlight assembly)
Remove cover, 2 lower bolts, a center bold an upward facing bolt and one on each side near fork tubes.
You need to bend the turn signal stalks back slightly to release the top corners of the cover.

Once removed, cut the wire tie holding the stock harness in place. Disconnect connectors.
Remove 2 bolts at the top of the plastic base (near TFT).
Pull forward and lift up and the back half of the bracket comes loose, this will give you room to pull the connectors through the slot.

Unscrew switch assembly (2 JIS screws or maybe they're #1 phillips) and one Torx, remove.
Install new assembly and reverse the procedure.
The new assembly has an additional 4 conductor connector that connects to a plug that has plug cover -you'll see it. Tie stuff back down with wire ties (on the throttle side there's a slot to run the wire tie).
You really need to stuff the new harness into the base so the cover goes on cleanly.
I couldn't find a great place to put the new 4 conductor plug but it all went back together pretty well.

If the dealer says they charge an hour for this, that wouldn't be unreasonable.

Will report back after I go back to the dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There's a post install hokie pokie that must be performed to make this all work:
Stolen from Cruise Control Hack

Take the cruise switch on your left handlebar and push it to the left for 5 seconds, then immediately all the way forward for 5 seconds, then immediately all the way down. towards you, for 5 seconds. You're not done. Then you must roll the throttle forward (away from you). That will reset the blinking light and also "teach" the bike to recognize cruise control.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After my first time ever riding a bike with cruise control - holy crap it's amazing.
Main benefit for me anyway is keeping speeds down when you're going through a
What's a multi switch?
Left handlebar switch assembly:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've found that cruise control is like having a quickshifter. You don't know how amazing it is until you experience it.
:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
@jmardy - thanks for your instructions! Between your step by step writeup and pages 228-233 of the owner's manual, I successfully completed the install of the switch with cruise control.

Here are some pics of my process following the above instructions in case it helps anyone else.

Multiswitch with CC ready for install!

I ended up installing the new switch onto the handlebar first.

Popped off the existing switch and installed the new switch on the handlebar.

Loosened the headlight adjusting screw.

Completely unscrewed the adjusting screw, swiveled the headlight mask forwards, and disconnected the connector. (You can also loosen the two lower bolts first prior to this.)

Unscrewed both of the lower bolts.

Headlight is now disassembled. Here's the cover.

Removed all the bolts off the cover. Gently bent the turn signals back to pop the cover off.

Here's my stock wiring!

I cut this zip tie...

... and disconnected these connectors.

Unscrewed these two bolts to loosen the rack to get some room for sliding connectors in and out.

Pulled out the old connectors and threaded in the new connectors.

Found the required fourth connector and cut off this zip tie!

Threaded two new zip ties through the retainers.

It was easier than expected to stuff everything back. Fastened these two bolts to reattach the rack.

Reinstalled the cover (I spent some time fiddling around with positioning the ball head holder to make sure it faced the correct way.)

Reattached headlight... and confirmed it works!

Did the post install konami-like sequence as detailed above... cruise control light is now off and no longer blinking.

·
Registered
2020 890 R
13 Posts
Day 3, went to local dealer and they installed the Tech Pack and CC.
I bought the switch and asked them to install the software and I'd do the switch myself (I hate paying people to do stuff I can do).

They said sure, took my $1100 and an hour or so later, off I went.
They told me CC light would blink because it doesn't have the multiswitch with the CC installed yet (assuming the blinking would stop once it was).
So I installed the switch and still blinky so need to go back and have them take a look, maybe reload the CC software?

I should have documented the switch install...
It's a little fiddly but pretty simple.
Since your going to lose your headlight elevation adjustment, point the bike at a wall or garage door and mark the cutoff so you can put it back in the same place.

Remove headlight (loosen 2 lower bolts, unscrew top adjustment screw, rotate forward, disconnect connector, remove lower bolts, remove headlight assembly)
Remove cover, 2 lower bolts, a center bold an upward facing bolt and one on each side near fork tubes.
You need to bend the turn signal stalks back slightly to release the top corners of the cover.

Once removed, cut the wire tie holding the stock harness in place. Disconnect connectors.
Remove 2 bolts at the top of the plastic base (near TFT).
Pull forward and lift up and the back half of the bracket comes loose, this will give you room to pull the connectors through the slot.

Unscrew switch assembly (2 JIS screws or maybe they're #1 phillips) and one Torx, remove.
Install new assembly and reverse the procedure.
The new assembly has an additional 4 conductor connector that connects to a plug that has plug cover -you'll see it. Tie stuff back down with wire ties (on the throttle side there's a slot to run the wire tie).
You really need to stuff the new harness into the base so the cover goes on cleanly.
I couldn't find a great place to put the new 4 conductor plug but it all went back together pretty well.

If the dealer says they charge an hour for this, that wouldn't be unreasonable.

Will report back after I go back to the dealer.
Thanks for the tip!
I’ll do mine this weekend

·
Registered
2020 890 R
13 Posts
@jmardy - thanks for your instructions! Between your step by step writeup and pages 228-233 of the owner's manual, I successfully completed the install of the switch with cruise control.

Here are some pics of my process following the above instructions in case it helps anyone else.

Multiswitch with CC ready for install!

I ended up installing the new switch onto the handlebar first.

Popped off the existing switch and installed the new switch on the handlebar.

Loosened the headlight adjusting screw.

Completely unscrewed the adjusting screw, swiveled the headlight mask forwards, and disconnected the connector. (You can also loosen the two lower bolts first prior to this.)

Unscrewed both of the lower bolts.

Headlight is now disassembled. Here's the cover.

Removed all the bolts off the cover. Gently bent the turn signals back to pop the cover off.

Here's my stock wiring!

I cut this zip tie...

... and disconnected these connectors.

Unscrewed these two bolts to loosen the rack to get some room for sliding connectors in and out.

Pulled out the old connectors and threaded in the new connectors.

Found the required fourth connector and cut off this zip tie!

Threaded two new zip ties through the retainers.

It was easier than expected to stuff everything back. Fastened these two bolts to reattach the rack.

Reinstalled the cover (I spent some time fiddling around with positioning the ball head holder to make sure it faced the correct way.)

Reattached headlight... and confirmed it works!

Did the post install konami-like sequence as detailed above... cruise control light is now off and no longer blinking.

Good post. I can’t see any picture but should be able to figure it out. Curious as to not being able to see the photos though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good post. I can’t see any picture but should be able to figure it out. Curious as to not being able to see the photos though.
Oh weird! No prob though - yeah, I followed @jmardy 's awesome instructions and had no problems at all! I figured I'd help contribute with photos since I know I'm personally a visual learner, but the process wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
2020 890 R
13 Posts
Got my left control all hooked up. Put it back together. I didn’t get any flashing light indication of having to to the 5 second hokey Pokey with the cruise switch. i turned on MTC. Was already on. Went into second gear. Clutch in though. In my garage. Still snow outside! Bottom line, I have no indication that cruise is working. I did fine Heated Grips. Made them available. Found the settings low med high. Got all kinds of HCU errors. though I might of screwed something up! Went in. Made Heated grits unavailable. The error went away.

I just had the bike flashed yesterday so maybe the flashing light, you have to do the hokey pokey 5 sec switch action is no more? Everything else seems to work fine. In my garage!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts