KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my 790 Duke today. Man it sure was a good ride for two years and 12k miles. I had more fun on the Duke than all the previous bikes. Bought it Halloween day 2020 for $9000 OTD and sold it today for $8500. 2 years and 12k miles for $500, not too shabby.

Riding it over to the buyers house for delivery this morning I kept thinking, what a fantastic bike this is. But as I said in a previous post the time has come for an OMB...old man bike. So now it's me and the KLR.

When I took the Duke off my insurance policy my premium went from $550 a year down to $164. Registration went from $215 a year to $67. Definitely easier of the old wallet.

But Kawasaki parts are much more expensive than KTM??? Go figure. So I will have to be careful and not break it.

I will stop by the forum from time to time. Oh and don't forget my Seth Laam Custom seat is still for sale on this forum.

Cheers mates.

Registered
I sold my 790 Duke today. Man it sure was a good ride for two years and 12k miles. I had more fun on the Duke than all the previous bikes. Bought it Halloween day 2020 for $9000 OTD and sold it today for $8500. 2 years and 12k miles for $500, not too shabby.

Riding it over to the buyers house for delivery this morning I kept thinking, what a fantastic bike this is. But as I said in a previous post the time has come for an OMB...old man bike. So now it's me and the KLR.

When I took the Duke off my insurance policy my premium went from $550 a year down to $164. Registration went from $215 a year to $67. Definitely easier of the old wallet.

But Kawasaki parts are much more expensive than KTM??? Go figure. So I will have to be careful and not break it.

I will stop by the forum from time to time. Oh and don't forget my Seth Laam Custom seat is still for sale on this forum.

Cheers mates.
Stay on the forum just in case you change your mind after riding the Kwaka for a while馃榾馃榾.

Super Moderator
Good luck with you new adventure! Please stay in touch. You insights remain very valuable.

Reactions: Hawkerjet

Registered
Enjoy the KLR, they are pretty solid anyroad machines. Once you get off the tarseal a whole new world opens. I've had a 640 Adventure for 17 years, it's like the Duke of the big single adventure market, awesome fun responsive machine.

Re: parts prices, it's an interesting myth that all KTM parts are expensive. Due to long-ish model family runs, and lots of common ancillary parts, many are surprisingly cheap. Whereas the Japs are proud of "over 300 new parts" year-on-year for the same model. They might get the savings on volume vs KTM but they create an inventory nightmare.

In this part of the world, any part that is available through third parties be it OEM (most bearings and seals) or copied (most dirt bike consumables) are very reasonably priced. Any part only available through KTM is horrific! Bend over and spread 'em!! Like they are 2-3x the price ex-USA including retail freight. It's like they deliberately multiply the price of some parts to cover the discount on others.

Super Moderator
2018 Duke 790
Enjoy! I'm selling my 790 too as I'm in Japan and I can't take it with me. I'm eyeing a Honda CRF300L as a run-around when I get to the US. Can't justify a KTM EXC for some gravel roads and running to the gas station for a 6 pack.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Echar茅 de menos sus relatos e instalaciones que hizo artesanalmente en su KTM, lo importante es nunca dejar de rodar, sea cual sea su montura...
Buen viaje all谩 donde vaya con su klr
Gracias por sus amables palabras. Tienes raz贸n, nunca dejes de montar. Me estoy haciendo viejo pero todav铆a no estoy listo para retirarme a la mecedora. Salud.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the kind words. I will pop in from time to time to check on ya'll.

Got the OMB KLR all apart doing the necessary upgrades and mods. Doo Hickey and Thermo Bob are a couple of mods. JD jetting kit is a big piece of the puzzle too.

One would think during a 35 year production run these issues would have been addressed. Oh well I guess they provide things for an old guy to tinker with.

Hey at least this bike is super easy to work on, and I do mean super easy. It embodies the Kiss philosophy...Keep it Simple Stupid. So simple even Forest Gump could work on it.

First mod was adding 2 inch Rox risers and fat bars. Vibration increased quite a bit. So I modified and installed the stock bar end weights. Now the bars are smoother than the factory setup.

Cheers mates.

Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Registered
A guy I used to work with has had a mid 2000鈥檚 KLR since probably close to new. I think that one had issues with wires getting pinched in the kill switch assembly, don鈥檛 think that鈥檚 an issue on the newer ones, but he did not baby that bike and he never complained about it. Sad to see you go, haven鈥檛 been here long myself but I鈥檝e enjoyed your posts and commentary.

Registered
I think we old guys need two bikes. The Daily Rider OMB which basically just works.
And a Tinka Toy. This can be as simple or as exotic as free time allows.
I was thinking the Daily Rider would have to be an adventure bike, pure road bike is too limiting.

Then I realised how many Old Pharts I know with R1200GS's....

I'm not there yet, but dammit you got me thinking, and I'm struggling to find an answer!

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think we old guys need two bikes. The Daily Rider OMB which basically just works.
And a Tinka Toy. This can be as simple or as exotic as free time allows.
I would love to have 2 or more bikes, but I suffer from LBS...Limited Budget Syndrome.

The onset of this disease happened at retirement. :rolleyes:

Registered
I was thinking the Daily Rider would have to be an adventure bike, pure road bike is too limiting.

Then I realised how many Old Pharts I know with R1200GS's....

I'm not there yet, but dammit you got me thinking, and I'm struggling to find an answer!
This is exactly the dilemma I have been through. Though I would never have bought a BMW.
The ADV riding position - is - simply - comfy. I know Guzzis are "exotic" - but the shaft drive is (for me) a no-brainer.
Though for a long time the KTM890ADV was an alternative. And almost won the battle.

But I was also looking at the major Budget options - Benelli, Morini, CFMOTO.

Here we don't have the wide expanses of "dirt" roads that OZ/USA etc have. So Pure Road is more of an option.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The ADV riding position - is - simply - comfy.
Though for a long time the KTM890ADV was an alternative. And almost won the battle.
The adventure bike riding position is very comfy especially compared to a naked sport bike.

Last year a did a 2 day trans-Sierra trip on my Duke. One mountain pass going over and a different one on the way back. Each day was just shy of 300 miles.

My Duke was pretty comfy for 100 mile days, especially if you took a few breaks, but two back to back 300 mile days were a killer. A couple of hours into day 2 I was one hurting pup and the last couple of hours was total agony. Everything hurt. Neck, hands, back, butt.

Another big reason I went to an OMB like the KLR.

KLR... King of Leisure and Relaxation? Humm...could be. ;)

Registered
The adventure bike riding position is very comfy especially compared to a naked sport bike.

Last year a did a 2 day trans-Sierra trip on my Duke. One mountain pass going over and a different one on the way back. Each day was just shy of 300 miles.

My Duke was pretty comfy for 100 mile days, especially if you took a few breaks, but two back to back 300 mile days were a killer. A couple of hours into day 2 I was one hurting pup and the last couple of hours was total agony. Everything hurt. Neck, hands, back, butt.

Another big reason I went to an OMB like the KLR.

KLR... King of Leisure and Relaxation? Humm...could be. ;)
While I appreciate your enthusiasm I'm not sure it's 100% accurate. I had a 1000 km+ ride each way to deliver my 790 Adventure RS and pick up my 790 Duke. It was very obvious the Duke was less tiring to ride. It doesn't have an extreme riding position despite the more forward lean. It doesn't lock you in to one position. It's lighter and steers with less effort.

Sorry but I doubt changing bike styles is going to make that much difference to your aches and pains. Having said that, the KLR is a heavy, soft pig in the adventure single class. At lower speeds it will soak up and shield you from more of the bumps than something lighter, more responsive and generally more performant, at the expense of not being so chuckable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts