KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a lightly used tank bag that can also be mounted on the SW-MOTECH passenger seat replacement. It requires a Givi BF37 tank ring, about $19 from Twisted Throttle. My pictures show the bag fully compressd and fully expanded. One nice feature is the space between the inner liner and the hard shell. It is large enough to store the rain cover and safety/shoulder strap as shown in the third picture.

I'm asking $60 plus actual shipping from Knoxville, TN. I'm selling because I couldn't get used to it shielding my GPS that is mounted to the KTM GPS mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
GOTJ-

Can I see more pics of your GPS setup? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on that same mount I believe. How easy is it to mount the GPS to? Then it I have to decide TomTom or Garmin....?

·
Registered
307 Posts
GOTJ-

Can I see more pics of your GPS setup? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on that same mount I believe. How easy is it to mount the GPS to? Then it I have to decide TomTom or Garmin....?
I've always been curious why folks buy Garmin/TomTom when you get the same functions on your smartphone?

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always been curious why folks buy Garmin/TomTom when you get the same functions on your smartphone?
I do custom routing on my PC and then load the route onto my GPS. Very seldom do I simply enter a destination and let the unit take me there. Is there a way to do custom routing for a phone?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I do custom routing on my PC and then load the route onto my GPS. Very seldom do I simply enter a destination and let the unit take me there. Is there a way to do custom routing for a phone?
You can do custom routes on Google maps. Just create the route on a PC and send it to your phone. You just pick a starting point and then pick successive waypoints on the map. There is a limitation of 10 waypoints though :(

I'm sure there are other simple ways to do what you're doing and just import it as a GPX file into some mapping app (e.g. ViewRanger).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Colombo-

I like having a dedicated GPS device as it does that job well but, it can also do on-bike audio (audio files on memory card which also frees up valuable storage on phone) and phone calls (as an interface).

Where I live it gets VERY hot during the day and my phone will typically overheat (and shut off) when mounted on the bike (plugged in especially). I do field work and rely on my phone extensively, so I like keeping it for work and have the dedicated GPS for the other duties.

Plus I just like dedicated GPS devices, I feel they are a good value add for what they were designed for (especially if your a tech geek like myself). :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Colombo-

I like having a dedicated GPS device as it does that job well but, it can also do on-bike audio (audio files on memory card which also frees up valuable storage on phone) and phone calls (as an interface).

Where I live it gets VERY hot during the day and my phone will typically overheat (and shut off) when mounted on the bike (plugged in especially). I do field work and rely on my phone extensively, so I like keeping it for work and have the dedicated GPS for the other duties.

Plus I just like dedicated GPS devices, I feel they are a good value add for what they were designed for (especially if your a tech geek like myself). :)
All good points, and they're tougher/waterproof/etc., but I just don't get the prices for something that's essentially a single-purpose device:

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GOTJ-

The PP GPS mount is designed to accommodate the brackets for at least the Garmin and Tom Tom GPSs. The first picture is the bracket for a Zumo 660 and the second is with the Zumo mounted. I find the PP bracket to be a neat, clean way of mounting a GPS.

I would caution against any Tom Tom unit as it is totally frustrating to use with custom routes. After you have prepared your route to follow specific roads, the Tom Tom will take your way points and route you the way it wants to. That can be very different from what you planned. Second, if you DO get the route in the TT the way you want it and deviate from it in such a way that you skip a way point, it NEVER will ignore it the way Garmin does. It continuously is rerouting you back to pick it up. You have to stop and find that way point and delete it.
IMG_20200408_151018586_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200408_150939078_HDR.jpg

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts