KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So you mean use an impact wrench on both sides to loosen both bolts before you completely take one side off?
One comes off easy but the other side can get stuck. They use green loctite on the bolts so fairly strong stuff. Very difficult to get the opposite side off when only one loosens as it will just spin

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am having a hell of a time with the second bolt. Either my impact wrench isn’t working right or I’m doing it wrong cause I can’t get it to budge. I may have to install one side and bring it to the shop to do the other side before I ruin the bolt.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I am having a hell of a time with the second bolt. Either my impact wrench isn’t working right or I’m doing it wrong cause I can’t get it to budge. I may have to install one side and bring it to the shop to do the other side before I ruin the bolt.
You could pull the whole swingarm pivot out but you will need to support the bike properly. They use 2701 green loctite on the bolts so fairly strong stuff.

Alternatively, pull the swingarm pivot out enough so you can put some heat on the bolt but away from the swingarm bearing. Just enough to melt some of the loctite

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hmm, seems drastic but you may be right. I have a rod the right thickness, I could feed that through to push the pivot bolt out and also jack up the engine to hold it in place until I can swap the rearsets out.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hmm, seems drastic but you may be right. I have a rod the right thickness, I could feed that through to push the pivot bolt out and also jack up the engine to hold it in place until I can swap the rearsets out.
Shame they didn't key the ends of the swingarm pivot so you can put a wrench on it

·
Registered
188 Posts
So I mounted the left side and at position 6 (adjustment slider all the way out at 6 with the footpeg in the lower hole) it’s pretty much identical to the stock pegs on the 890. The Gilles manual says it should be 17.5 up and 25mm back compared to stock. Is that based on the 790 then? This means anything less than halfway to max is less ground clearance and further forward than the stock pegs, the opposite of what I want to achieve

is this what others are seeing too? I did a height measurement to the top of the peg and how far from a point on the swing arm to make my unscientific comparison.

That said they are very well made and really easy to adjust and I like how I can pivot the shifter toe piece to adjust for the footpeg instead of having to mess with the shift rod each time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well I’m an idiot. Once I installed the left side I was able to break the right side loose pretty easily. D’oh.
Turns out they’re about 25mm back as advertised but still at stock height in position 6, so that’s pretty good after all.

·
Registered
188 Posts
They look really good I think, and it’s nice that the rear brake light still works, which wasn’t the case with the Woodcraft on my previous Street Triple. (That’s thanks to the master cylinder design on this bike, much better).

·
Registered
363 Posts
They look really good I think, and it’s nice that the rear brake light still works, which wasn’t the case with the Woodcraft on my previous Street Triple. (That’s thanks to the master cylinder design on this bike, much better).
You have these with the Wings Exhaust? any heal contact with the pipe/guard? Riding the 890r a while and Swapping between my ZX6r, my dads Street triple, the peg position feels on the low side and I'd like a bit more weight on the feet. Plan on a Wings exhaust as soon as the tax return is in!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You have these with the Wings Exhaust? any heal contact with the pipe/guard? Riding the 890r a while and Swapping between my ZX6r, my dads Street triple, the peg position feels on the low side and I'd like a bit more weight on the feet. Plan on a Wings exhaust as soon as the tax return is in!!
Doesn't answer your question but I get a lot of heel contact on my 790 with the stock pegs and Akra slipon. I find it quite annoying in right hand corners as my right heel is kicked out to the right quite a bit, it's very awkward.

I recently sat on a stock 890 and it felt similar! I also have thought about the Wings pipe to help with this

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes I have the Wings exhaust. With the Gilles peg set at the max #12 position and the balls of my feet on the peg my heel is just under the heat shield. If I turn my foot in the heel touches but sitting up there’s no interference and on the track I’d be pivoting on the end of the peg so that should be ok too.

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
684 Posts
Yes I have the Wings exhaust. With the Gilles peg set at the max #12 position and the balls of my feet on the peg my heel is just under the heat shield. If I turn my foot in the heel touches but sitting up there’s no interference and on the track I’d be pivoting on the end of the peg so that should be ok too.
That's with tennis shoes's. A proper riding boot is a lot bulkier.

·
Registered
188 Posts

First two photos are with ball of foot on peg like I’m riding straight. Third photo is simulating hanging off in a corner and pivoting on the tip of the peg. Boots are EU43. The heel does rest on the carbon shield of the Wings but it doesn’t protrude or put my foot in a weird position, it just naturally touches lightly the way my foot sits on its own. In the corner there’s a small gap so I don’t think it will hit. I will say for sure once I go for a ride in the race boots, but seems ok.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 56 Posts