KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New Forum member here from Australia (will post in new member forum when I purchase)

I have many years riding experience and about to purchase a 790 Duke when I sell my current bike, 2008 Guzzi Breva 1200

I have one question, what RPM does the 790 Duke sit on at 100 kmh (62 mph) ?

Cheers from Oz
Magoo

I'm assuming you are asking about sixth gear. If so, you won't want to ride at that speed in sixth. The engine isn't comfortable under load below about 4500 rpm.

Super-Member
4th gear - about 5500
5th gear - about 5000
6th gear - about 4500

Agreed with GOTJ. I usually stick around in 4th gear at that speed for just rolling down the road. Sometimes I will hit 5th if it's a real steady roll and I am trying to conserve some bit of gas, but I like 4th for that speed. The power is there at a moment. At 4500 RPM. it takes a lot of throttle and a good amount of time to hit that power band. I usually don't even use 6th unless I am over 70 MPH on the highway and cruising.....which all equates to the RPM and where I like to ride.

Premium Member
If I'm sticking to the open road speed limit on straight roads in NZ (100 or 110 km/hr depending on the road), I normally stay in 5th gear for the reasons other posters have mentioned. It's actually less sensitive in Rain Mode if you're just out for a cruise rather than a fang. Welcome to another "mature" rider - I started riding in 1964 :smile_big:

Super-Moderator
Both informational AND educational.

Reactions: J D

Registered
When I checked this I am sure that the RPM at 100kph (62mph) was around 4200. To me that is much the same gearing as my VFR 800. But the VFR would rev and rev, so at 10,000rpm in 6th the speed would be 238kph, at 11000 and peak power the bike was near 260kph- and it would do this speed! The Duke 790 seems a lot more relaxed having only half the number of bangs per minute. I find the gearing quite tall, having to notch 1st for all hairpin type bends and even some roundabouts. I am trying to discipline myself to keep to 2nd gear for roundabouts and feather the clutch MX style if needed. No criticism meant. I prefer tall gearing so am very happy with this bike.

Super-Member
Yea, I have been checking this every time I ride now just to see. I was a bit off, the RPMs are actually a bit lower than I originally post (which was from rough memory). I'd say they are about 350 RPMs lower.

Super-Moderator
'20 890R
I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket and now gearing is ideal for my riding style. Increased cruising rpm on the highway by about 400rpm but it's still dead smooth at 65-75mph cruising speeds.

Young Lion, just curious about your decision to go down one tooth on the countershaft versus going up 2 or 3 teeth in the rear. Were there any particular factors that influenced you?

Super-Moderator
'20 890R
Young Lion, just curious about your decision to go down one tooth on the countershaft versus going up 2 or 3 teeth in the rear. Were there any particular factors that influenced you?
Absolutely!

- cost. $24 versus $70+ for a rear sprocket
- no need for a new chain - consulted my mechanic and he said a +3 rear MIGHT need a new/longer chain
- swingarm angle - much less effected by front swap than the rear and I love the oem geometry so didn't wanna mess around with that and then have to play with ride height.

I wanted to drop a pound by going aluminum rear sprocket but in the end the above factors far outweighed the meager weight savings on an already super light bike. I know the angle is great on the smaller front sprocket so chain life might be compromised slightly but I usually get 20,000+kms from a chain so its a minute cost if I only get 15,000-18,000kms from the stock chain.

Chic - it's noticeably snappier for sure - I use the "how easy does it lift the front wheel in 2nd gear?" test and it's now crazy easy - so much so that I have to pull it up too far, then snick into 3rd gear immediately as I run into the limiter right away if not but in 3rd can carry it at roughly 90-120kph for indefinite periods - well, until my talent or straight roads run out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts