KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was nearing the end of a short local ride when all of a sudden, the gear shifter went all loosey goosey. I had to hunt with my foot to find the spot that it would upshift or downshift. I don't recall this issue having risen before. My logic tells me that that the return spring is broken. Does that make sense? If so, is that an internal or external issue. A quick inspection didn't find an external spring.

Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It does sound like a spring issue, which would be internal. Off to the dealer for warranty work. I think this is the first we've heard of this problem.

Assuming nothing has come loose on the linkage.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Upon further review...

As I was preparing to take the bike to the dealer, for some reason I started to loosen the screws on the shifter rod. Just on a whim, I moved the shift lever and it immediately re-centered itself. So I took the shifter rod off and discovered that the front heim joint was almost frozen up. I cleaned and lubed it for a while and got it working for now.

Do you think I could take just the shifter rod to the dealer for a warranty inquiry? There is no KTM part for either the bearing or the heim joint; just $45 for the complete shifter rod.

The bearing itself has no part number on it but a bearing house might be able to match it. Alternatively, I might be able to find a metric heim joint on the web.

I'm not sure whether to be happy or disappointed about this new situation.

·
VIP member
417 Posts
Be happy and check the Heim joint frequently until you're certain it's fully functional.

Good sleuthing!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would call Mountain Motorsports and tell them what happened. Maybe they can get it replaced under warranty. Very good news that it's not an internal problem.

Hey, by the way, let's meet for coffee again soon. Perfect riding weather will soon be upon us. I rode foothills parkway and the dragon on Sunday and it was beautiful.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a very good suggestion. I'm always trying to make things more complicated.

On the other matter, I'll drop you an email.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts