KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I went for a ride to Spain yesterday to get some breaking in mileage, and I had several time a dead spot between 5th and 6th gear.
Has anyone experienced that before, or is it just that I need to get used to this gear box.
Also, the neutral is often hard to get from 1st gear.
Thanks
Philippe

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gear box and quick-shifter experiences

Hi everyone

I went for a ride to Spain yesterday to get some breaking in mileage, and I had several time a dead spot between 5th and 6th gear.
Has anyone experienced that before, or is it just that I need to get used to this gear box.
Thanks
Philippe
Have had the exact same problem during a lot of my trips. Between 5th and 6th gear, if you don't give it a decent kick you will sometimes get them false neutrals.
Same goes for 2nd and 3rd gear. Those might give you false neutrals as well in my experience if you don't get them a like strong kick upwards.

Another thing to keep in mind is that on longer trips (Just did one through Europe 4000 km) you will find that the quick-shifter deteriorates throughout the trip. Couldn't even use it properly and wouldn't want to go from 4th to 5th. Just needed some lubrication according to my dealer so don't worry if that happens to you.

·
bought a 1290 SDR
87 Posts
Hi everyone

Thanks
Philippe
Hi mate,had the same problem with mine but not all the time.Put it on a thread previously.
The bike would go into a neutral between 5th and 6th then bang itself into gear,not a nice sound:(
Stopped using shifter a lot for 5th to 6th.Took mine to my dealer the other week.They plugged it in to the diagnostics machine and let that do its thing.
Did seem to be a bit better if slightly stiffer on ride home.Havent really had the weather:( to give it a good run but well see how it goes.Hopefully the Gremlins had been sorted.
Good luck with yours mate.Enjoy.
Ride Safe:smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts