KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some mates and I attended a conference last weekend and we incorporated it into a tour, covering mainly twisty country roads around the north island of NZ. I kept detailed records of fuel consumption over the 2100 km so thought I'd share them for interest.

We weren't hammering along but were making "good progress". Very light traffic throughout, except for a relatively short time in the Wellington region. My highest consumption between fills was 4.24 lt/100 km. This coincided with some exceptionally winding roads which are a rider's paradise. The most economical consumption was 3.96 lt/100 km on a relatively open road section where a fairly constant throttle could be maintained. The average for the whole journey was 4.09 lt/100 km. I think the lack of traffic was a telling factor too. If I've done my maths correctly, the average consumption equates to 65 Imperial mpg, 55 US mpg and 23 km/lt. From past rides, I know that the odometer is in the region of 6% fast compared with GPS data. That probably means my true average consumption of 4.3 lt/100 km.

It was a magnificent trip and I'll post lots of photos and narrative on my blog in about a week. The Duke made a very competent tourer with about 10 kg of luggage on the rear seat and a back pack. At 8000 km, the Bridgestone T31 front tyre has large flats on its sides and the rear is in excellent condition. I've attached a photo or two as a taster :grin: We really are blessed in NZ for great motorcycling roads and comparatively little traffic!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Whats the significance of the second pic with a guy pushing his MT-10?
I'll write about it with more photos in the blog but we came upon a small slip (landslip) a long way from from anywhere. We decided to ride through it which was fine but immediately after the slip, the road surface had a cf of teflon with fine clay particles mixed with water as it had recently rained. I was first through and simply couldn't hold it up. Tyres went with the camber on the road. Only damage was to dignity. Picking it up was a major problem as we could hardly keep our feet. Second bike through had the same problem. By the time my mate on the MT10 SP was ready to cross, a road crew had arrived and they all kept him upright (with some difficulty). He was just pushing it to a clear spot to get the tyres cleaned up. That's me in the background using a stick to get the gunge out of the rain grooves. An 18 wheel truck skated off too so that shows you just how bad it was. We rode off at walking pace for a mile or so and gradually increased pace and lean angle. Stopped at the next town about 30 km away and hosed everything down at a gas station.

An Aussie tour party from Adelaide arrived not long before we left and first through suffered the same fate (on adventure tyres). The photo is some of the remainder waiting to be steadied through.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Close Dave! That one is the Moki tunnel!
Arrr ****, I've been through that one a few times, did you do the Kiwi road and come out on the Okoki road or Uruti Road?? we have some great country gravel back roads. Perfect for the 790 Adventurer. Thats only a couple of miles away from my place.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Arrr ****, I've been through that one a few times, did you do the Kiwi road and come out on the Okoki road or Uruti Road?? we have some great country gravel back roads. Perfect for the 790 Adventurer. Thats only a couple of miles away from my place.
Nope, straight through to Stratford and on to Porirua the next morning. Some photos and narrative here: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-green-badge-tour-part-1.html . More photos on the blog later this week.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Nope, straight through to Stratford and on to Porirua the next morning. Some photos and narrative here: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-green-badge-tour-part-1.html . More photos on the blog later this week.
The Forgotten highway, I call it the Tahora tunnel as its on the Tahora Saddle, but of course its the Moki tunnel. Its my loop road from Urenui, Artiti to Tahora to Wanga pub then out towards Stratford and back home through Tarata, 220 km of back roads, but no gas stations. Looked at your ride map, that looks a very good ride. PS Geoff don't forget the KTM track day at Taupo, I'm booked in with a mate, have a garage, its the 23rd of March on a monday. Its a great day. They said they will have the new 1290R and 890R demo bikes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nice. I have spent a bit of time up around the east cape and there are some great roads there (not to mention fishing).
And I was bought up in Taranaki where I spent every spare minute of my teens riding the back country roads with my mate Shawn Harris on our RD400s. Good times.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice. I have spent a bit of time up around the east cape and there are some great roads there (not to mention fishing).
And I was bought up in Taranaki where I spent every spare minute of my teens riding the back country roads with my mate Shawn Harris on our RD400s. Good times.
I hadn't been to East Cape for a few years so it was a great return. They were catching some nice fish out of Waihau Bay, including Marlin. Part 2 of the trip is now up: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-green-badge-tour-pt-2.html and I might have time to put up photos of the Cape tomorrow in part 3.

One of my shift engineers at the Kinleith pulp and paper mill had an RD400 with unsilenced expansion chambers. It's noise was wonderful but it made your teeth ache! :grin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts