KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone managed to get close to the claimed approx 14ltr fuel capacity ??, I have only managed to measure 13.3 ltr"s on two attempts from running the tank dry and overfilling to maximum of the tank . I went through the exercise as I do a run to a friends place 174Klm from home , Iwanted to see if it could be done without a refuel .

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
174k's each way is pushing it I think. 348 round trip. Braver than me.

But I am now a weak old git too - and can't bide the thought of having to push even a feather weight like the KTM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

But I am now a weak old git too - and can't bide the thought of having to push even a feather weight like the KTM.
Thanks for the post barbagris , I mis quoted the round trip ,it is actually 328klm , I shall find out today as I am old enough and foolish enough to try :) ,I'm a couple of weeks away from 79yrs so I have an excuse , and a ltr in the back pack will ease the strain . I also have a 390 Duke giving me 31klm to the ltr or 3.22ltrs to 100klm against the 790's 3.98 ltr to 100klm's .cant trust the readout at all .

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Thanks for the post barbagris , I mis quoted the round trip ,it is actually 328klm , I shall find out today as I am old enough and foolish enough to try :) ,I'm a couple of weeks away from 79yrs so I have an excuse , and a ltr in the back pack will ease the strain . I also have a 390 Duke giving me 31klm to the ltr or 3.22ltrs to 100klm against the 790's 3.98 ltr to 100klm's .cant trust the readout at all .
The right wrist makes a big difference on the 790 :D. On an average ride at mixed pace, I normally rely on 270 km. I think maybe 300 km riding fairly gently so will be interested to see how you go. Good luck!

P.S I'm just a week away from 73 so a young 'un compared with you (y)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sydney to Yass 318km, took 13.32 litres to the top. Last 10km dash was suggesting the tank was empty and had 0km range.
Phone app I use indicated 4.19L/100km

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The right wrist makes a big difference on the 790 :D. On an average ride at mixed pace, I normally rely on 270 km. I think maybe 300 km riding fairly gently so will be interested to see how you go. Good luck!

P.S I'm just a week away from 73 so a young 'un compared with you (y)
Thanks Geoff , I have done the tests on capacity and was surprised to find tank capacity is only 13.3ltrs , .7LTR short OF 14L of 14 t

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mine ran out of fuel at 40km remaining, I had to push it back to my shop (luckily I was only a block away). My fuel warning comes on at 200km of fun twisties, I get approx 8.8L in when the warning comes on.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I still find the 790 marvelously economical.

Just about every bike I have had averaged 5-5.5L/100. Then came the shock of the Rocket - which is closer to 8.2L/100. The 790 under 4 easily. And that on shorter gearing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I get about 270km. I suppose it doesn’t help having an Akro pipe and the Akro fuel map. It seems to burn gas like it’s going out of fashion! My 2018 Street RS got at least 330, different beasts though..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.