KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that in Sport mode, the front wheel lifts a bit during hard acceleration. How high will the computer let the wheel come up? Do any of you wheelie masters know? I'm too much of a chicken to find out.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
With anti-wheelie mode engaged - not much and not for long. My guess is that as soon as the front wheel begins to slow down, the nose will drop.
Happens a fair amount on the 1290SDR from what I've been told.

I am a chicken too btw. ;) - It's exactly that kind of "excitement" from the 890R that worries me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It will lift slightly, but only for a second and then it drops back down while still accelerating hard. It has happened to me on several occasions regardless of what riding mode I'm in (except for rain, never accelerated hard in rain). It's a very good system that works well and is so smooth.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Stupid question - what does the system do to keep the wheel down? Apply rear brake, or throttle down the engine? Or something else?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If wheelie control is turned off, is it possible to loop the bike? In what mode will the electronics allow the bike to only wheelie to a maximum of seven degrees?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I noticed that in Sport mode, the front wheel lifts a bit during hard acceleration. How high will the computer let the wheel come up? Do any of you wheelie masters know? I'm too much of a chicken to find out.

About a foot. AWM will not allow you to loop the bike. If AWM is off, you can easily loop it. Here's some wheelies thrown in this video with AWM off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies! I have a pinched nerve in my neck so I can’t ride my new bike. I’ve resorted to just reading about it. :D

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
I wonder if AW senses the wheel coming up via the IMU or through detecting that the front wheel is rotating slower than the rear wheel.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Gyros. Not the greek sandwich either.

Reactions: YoungLion

·
Super Moderator
'20 Street Triple 765
639 Posts
I wonder if AW senses the wheel coming up via the IMU or through detecting that the front wheel is rotating slower than the rear wheel.

I bet it is wheel speed. Too many reasons other than a wheelie for the front wheel to be moving vertically.
IMU allows the bike to reach 7 degrees of loft on an 890R with AWM turned ON - off, I think the math say about 150 degrees loft before it's fully on its belly skating down the road in a torrent of sparks and awful sounds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts