KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an issue with the front shocks bottoming out? I weigh 200lb and am 5ft 11. On normal roads its not so bad but hitting minor bumps it bottoms out. Any ideas for a resolution?

·
Registered
164 Posts
stiffer fork springs? Racetech has a good online calculator for determining the right spring rate for rider weight and type of riding.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I find it interesting that you're bottoming the forks, I'm about 240 lbs @ 6'2" and don't bottom the forks out even on harsher bumps... I hate that my only opinion is to take it to the dealership to work it out but that does not seem right to me. The only thing I can think is the sag is set very poorly and all your weight is on the front of the bike? Have you tried adjusting the rear sag at all?

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
Does anyone have an issue with the front shocks bottoming out? I weigh 200lb and am 5ft 11. On normal roads its not so bad but hitting minor bumps it bottoms out. Any ideas for a resolution?
Find it hard to believe. Did you measure?

You may think it does, but it doesn't. Front can get very harsh on sharp bumps. It feels like it's bottoming out, even if it doesn't.

Reactions: Stewart

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Find it hard to believe. Did you measure?

You may think it does, but it doesn't. Front can get very harsh on sharp bumps. It feels like it's bottoming out, even if it doesn't.

Put a cable tie on the fork leg and took it for a run on smooth roads with the odd harsh bump and there's about 12mm before the bottom of the leg.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Put a cable tie on the fork leg and took it for a run on smooth roads with the odd harsh bump and there's about 12mm before the bottom of the leg.
I have the same issue on my 890R. I bottom out on harsh bumps other than that the suspension is good. But I'm 260 so I plan to put the hard springs on the bike which is currently my only reasonably priced option.

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
View attachment 7045
That does seem pretty low. Can't say I experienced this. I did some front end work that included different springs. So we are not comparing apples to apples. I can't say I remember the OEM front bottoming like this, though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
They were probably a bit short that day and put some 390 springs in it, keep the production line going. They probably don't bottom out beyond there. Stiffer springs for sure.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Progressive springs on the front are pretty harsh. I am 150 i know i am not bottomed them out but i sure can feel it.

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
212 Posts
Are the bikes shipped with oil in the forks? Maybe the dealer neglected to fill your forks with oil.
I don't know just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Call Maxton or Nitron or ............... Have a Suspension guy look at it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What is wrong with the forks bottoming out now and then. Any properly set up suspension should bottom out now nd then

1 - 14 of 14 Posts