KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just wanted to share my experience with you regarding installing a fender eliminator and front turn signals on my Duke.

I bought some Amazon LED turn signals and one of the better eBay fender eliminators. The turn signals mimic the EU spec signals but at a much better price. The fender eliminator is a LED strip that splits in half with amber lights for the turn signals.

I read the thread talking about the struggles of doing LED stuff on this bike and how much of a pain it is for some reason. With that being said, I wanted to do this install correctly with the proper flash rate and no dash error message. I have to say that after everything is put in, I have no error message and the lights blink at the correct rate!

I installed four resistors from SicassRacing (one on each turn signal) that make the computer happy with no error message. If anyone is interested on doing a full LED conversion the proper way, this is how you do it!! I’ll be happy to provide links if anyone is interested.

·
a d m i n .
151,068 Posts
Hey fellow NY’r, getting in much riding?

The FE looks good!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey! Thanks, I appreciate it. I got out a couple times, but my winter gear is lacking. Too damn cold!

Since someone asked, I’ll provide the links to what I bought:
Fender eliminator: KTM 2019-2020 790 Duke Integrated SP Fender Eliminator Light Bar Kit Tail Tidy | eBay (they also have a tucked license plate option)
Resistors: KTM 690 LED Turn Signal Resistor Kit [22-690] - $30.96 : sicassracing.com (One set comes with two resistors, so if you’re doing LED front and back you need to buy two sets. If you’re only doing the tail tidy then one set is all you need)
Front signals: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07R42F8C4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

a couple other notes, there are small holes behind the bigger holes where the turn signals mount on the front. It’s like a centering pin for the stock turn signals so they are level when you install them. The front turn signals do not cover up that hole, so if you want to cover it up to make sure water doesn’t come in there’s a few ways to do it. I had some body filler and some black paint laying around so I went that route, but you could probably fab up a plastic plate and mount it in between, but a screw with a nut on the other end, or even put in a little rubber plug. The diameter of the hole is about 5mm. I’ll include a picture here.

also, I don’t know how to solder or use a soldering iron. I picked up some butt connectors that ha solder in the middle and it releases it when heated up with a heat gun. Here are those:https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DPS8DPM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

hope this helps anyone who is interested in doing this!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all, just wanted to share my experience with you regarding installing a fender eliminator and front turn signals on my Duke.

I bought some Amazon LED turn signals and one of the better eBay fender eliminators. The turn signals mimic the EU spec signals but at a much better price. The fender eliminator is a LED strip that splits in half with amber lights for the turn signals.

I read the thread talking about the struggles of doing LED stuff on this bike and how much of a pain it is for some reason. With that being said, I wanted to do this install correctly with the proper flash rate and no dash error message. I have to say that after everything is put in, I have no error message and the lights blink at the correct rate!

I installed four resistors from SicassRacing (one on each turn signal) that make the computer happy with no error message. If anyone is interested on doing a full LED conversion the proper way, this is how you do it!! I’ll be happy to provide links if anyone is interested. View attachment 6162

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the detail and links. I assume you also needed the flash rate module from sicassracing to correct flasher speed? What did you need the solder connectors from Amazon for? Looks like the sicass resistors are plug 'n play aren't they? Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You do not need the flash rate module to get the correct flash rate. This is because the turn signals on the 790 are not controlled by a relay, but rather the bike’s ECU.

the resistors are plug and play, however on the turn signals and the tail tidy they don’t have oem connectors on them. Rather than cutting the harness on the bike, I cut the female end off the resistors and then butt soldered the tail tidy and turn signals to the resistors. The only thing I had to cut was the factory tail light, as I needed the connector off of that.

any other questions feel free to ask

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke, 2006 SV 650, 2008 Hot rodded KLR, 1991 Honda Hawk NT 650
53 Posts
Hey! Thanks, I appreciate it. I got out a couple times, but my winter gear is lacking. Too damn cold!

Since someone asked, I’ll provide the links to what I bought:
Fender eliminator: KTM 2019-2020 790 Duke Integrated SP Fender Eliminator Light Bar Kit Tail Tidy | eBay (they also have a tucked license plate option)
Resistors: KTM 690 LED Turn Signal Resistor Kit [22-690] - $30.96 : sicassracing.com (One set comes with two resistors, so if you’re doing LED front and back you need to buy two sets. If you’re only doing the tail tidy then one set is all you need)
Front signals: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07R42F8C4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

a couple other notes, there are small holes behind the bigger holes where the turn signals mount on the front. It’s like a centering pin for the stock turn signals so they are level when you install them. The front turn signals do not cover up that hole, so if you want to cover it up to make sure water doesn’t come in there’s a few ways to do it. I had some body filler and some black paint laying around so I went that route, but you could probably fab up a plastic plate and mount it in between, but a screw with a nut on the other end, or even put in a little rubber plug. The diameter of the hole is about 5mm. I’ll include a picture here.

also, I don’t know how to solder or use a soldering iron. I picked up some butt connectors that ha solder in the middle and it releases it when heated up with a heat gun. Here are those:https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DPS8DPM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

hope this helps anyone who is interested in doing this!

View attachment 6166
Are you happy with the fit and finish of the tail tidy? I'm considering the unit with the dual led strips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you happy with the fit and finish of the tail tidy? I'm considering the unit with the dual led strips.
It’s a decently constructed unit. I went with this one because, for one, the reviews I read about the NRG cycles tidy said the fit and finish wasn’t the greatest and the one made by MNTHBX was too expensive. This fit my idea with a decent price. In all, it’s built pretty well. Bare in mind that it is ABS plastic so it has a bit of a texture on it, but then again it’s small and the color matches the rest of the black on the bike. The LED is bright enough and I’m happy with the look!! Which is what I was concerned with the most.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke, 2006 SV 650, 2008 Hot rodded KLR, 1991 Honda Hawk NT 650
53 Posts
Thanks. Out of all I've seen it's the one I like best as well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I went with the Yoshimura's because the Tail tidy mount was all metal. The turn signals were anodized aluminum housings and good quality optical plastic. Sometimes ya get what you pay for. I only wanted to do this one time. I also wanted the brake light and turn signals to be separate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts