KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says everything.
Earlier today on the highway around 120Km/h the front calipers did not release the pressure, turned the disks blue and stopped the bike in the middle lane.
I was able to run to safety, but after many cars that dodged one finally hit the 790 at high speed sending it to the graveyard.
It never happened to me with any of my earlier very old motorbikes.

Thanks God the driver of the car is unharmed albeit a bit shaken.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The title says everything.
Earlier today on the highway around 120Km/h the front calipers did not release the pressure, turned the disks blue and stopped the bike in the middle lane.
I was able to run to safety, but after many cars that dodged one finally hit the 790 at high speed sending it to the graveyard.
It never happened to me with any of my earlier very old motorbikes.

Thanks God the driver of the car is unharmed albeit a bit shaken.
Oh my goodness - that must have been terrifying!

So glad that you and others are ok.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the outcome

Attachments

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Holy $hit man!! Yea really, glad it wasn't you!! Good on ya for being able to dodge traffic and get out of the way!! That could have been a lot worse!! Sorry just seeing this now after I posted up the other questions.

So looks like the stock brakes? Did you have anything done to them or this is just a fluke thing that happened? That makes me really worry!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy $hit man!! Yea really, glad it wasn't you!! Good on ya for being able to dodge traffic and get out of the way!! That could have been a lot worse!! Sorry just seeing this now after I posted up the other questions.

So looks like the stock brakes? Did you have anything done to them or this is just a fluke thing that happened? That makes me really worry!!
I'm really glad too I was not on the bike anymore.

It felt unreal, like a movie where the incoming cars dodge the hero riding wrong way. Until one didn't dodge.
Stock everything, only change was the MC that broke in Franciacorta and that got replaced with another OEM MC.
Thanks God I didn't keep in place the Braking one that I had to come back home from the track: it could have resulted in a potentially freaking nightmare insurance-wise in Italy.

·
Registered
848 Posts
'kinell!

1) You're OK which is the main thing. And as you say - the driver is OK too.
2) Looks like the Police turned up - which is good. I hope they are going to do a brakes autopsy.

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
I'd be emailing KTM direct and asking them how this could have happened, not sure you'll get an answer but they should at least know about it.

Looking back now was there any signs of the discs warping before this happened or any other odd happenings with the brakes?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The mechanic (official KTM dealer) thinks it was because of the VTrec lever not having enough play thus keeping the pads pressed.
When they got the bike 3 days after the accident the front wheel was free again; it was not 2 hours after the crash.

Frankly it seems odd to me to get a lever problem after several kilometers with some braking in the middle.
A problematic master cylinder seems more likely to me, but I don't have time to get this investigated.

The dealer offered me 2K for the crashed bike and I guess I'll accept because I don't have much time before I leave for a different country.
Sure enough I'm not going to ride on public roads again in Italy (maybe in Singapore I will); track days instead are not ruled out (at least not yet).

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm betting the KTM mechanic is correct. If the lever was not allowing the master cylinder piston to retract completely, opening the relief port, it was not allowing fluid to expand into the reservoir when the fluid began to heat up and expand. When this happens, the fluid expands into the calipers, binding the pads against the disks. More heat is developed, fluid expands even more; brakes lock up.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I would have thought this would have been evident at fitting.
Back in the early days of Discs - we set the free gap ourselves with a feeler gauge.
I always make the assumption that folks understand what they're playing with.
Still surprises me that occasionally - folk do not.

I'd liked to have seen for myself - And I'd roast V-Trec if this was the case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow.
Good luck to you for not getting hit mate.
Whole thing sounds like a can of worms, so that is never a good scenario.
Like others, I will be interested to see how you get on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts