KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
A d m i n .
151,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was riding my ZX-14R, met up with a handful of riders at a local Ocean front bar/bbq joint. We were laughing, having a beer, good times.

Looking skyward, I noticed the impending rain blotting out the current sunny conditions. I decided to leave, proceeded over a few bridges, averaging the proverbial 'ton', amidst a heavy downpour, but all was fine.

So as I'm maintaining this sweet cruising speed, I notice the rear getting out of shape, steering suddenly became a stranger, haha.

Pulled over, flat tire in the rear..

Which inflating device do you prefer?

Thankfully a good friend with a Repo flat bed was nearby. :angel:

SEE foto of Repair kit:

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Right from the get-go I'm going to tell you that the flat tire I experienced a few days ago, didn't happen on my 790D.

I was riding my ZX-14R, met up with a handful of riders at a local Ocean front bar/bbq place. We were joking, having a beer, good times.

Looking skyward, I noticed the impending rain blotting out the current sunny conditions. I decided to leave, proceeded over a few bridges, averaging the proverbial 'ton', amidst a heavy downpour, but it was warrrm.

So as I'm maintaining this sweet cruising speed, I notice the rear getting out of shape, steering suddenly became a stranger, haha.

Pulled over, flat tire in the rear.. I have a plug kit, but what inflating device do you prefer?

Thankfully a good friend with a Repo flat bed was nearby. :angel:
I always carry a puncture repair kit with 6 small air canisters. Ive repaired 4 punctures, 3 on my own bikes (all on the multistrada, and twice when 2up) and a stranded guys puncture i came across out riding.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
This is why I love forums! Another idea I haven't thought of, but probably one of the better ones. I need to look into a plug kit and air fill. Always a good item to have on hand!

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Just following on from my post above, I've also got a repair kit called the Stop and Go Tyre Plugger. I've never had occasion to use it but a friend has used one successfully, which is why I bought it. Referring to the photo, the puncture is repaired with a rubber mushroom. The head of the mushroom is undercut so that it compresses and can be forced through the puncture hole after being loaded into the cylinder. It works a bit like a grease gun. Apparently very easy to use and great for regular holes caused by nails and the like.

Spoiled for choice with the stuff I carry! :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just following on from my post above, I've also got a repair kit called the Stop and Go Tyre Plugger. I've never had occasion to use it but a friend has used one successfully, which is why I bought it. Referring to the photo, the puncture is repaired with a rubber mushroom. The head of the mushroom is undercut so that it compresses and can be forced through the puncture hole after being loaded into the cylinder. It works a bit like a grease gun. Apparently very easy to use and great for regular holes caused by nails and the like.

Spoiled for choice with the stuff I carry! :grin:
Would this fit in where the tool kit lives Geoff? Obviously with the tool kit removed that is 😁

·
Registered
283 Posts
I keep mine in the tail pack along with tools, first aid kit and electric pump etc. If you want to check, here is the kit dimension in mm: 200x80x30
Thanks Geoff, if I go any distance I usually have the tail pack on so I suppose there’s the answer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sticky string kit with (bodkin and auger) and miniature tyre pump from local 4wd shop. Works a treat and as long as the plug is not in the sidewall will last the life of the tyre !

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
They call them dog turds in NZ (must be a small dog :smile_big:). I had to use 3 last year to plug a puncture which was more of a slit than a hole but they worked just fine. In the photo, you can just see the ends sticking out below my hand. This was just before I found that my existing turds had lost their stickiness after 3 or 4 years of being in my pack. Fortunately, there was a motor accessories place close by that had new ones for under $5. Must remember to occasionally replace them.

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm getting older and lazier. The insurance comes with 0km free recovery - i.e. they'll come even if you're not on the road. If I were anywhere close to home I'd have it trailered to my mate's tyre place. Regular customers get free repairs ;-)

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
I’ve used the stop & go mushroom plugs before, as long as the puncture is straight-ish and not at a strange angle not had an issue. You do need to make sure you give the hole a good rimming though :devil:

Fortunately it’s never been too far from home, there’s an electric tyre pump in our car boot and missus is usually on standby for emergencies.

Touring/travelling depending on where it happens, probably a call to recovery services and a long wait :sad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts