KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
@QCS, can I ask what crash protection you have on your bike and what do you think helped the most ?
I had very little crash protection installed, prior to the crash. I did have, though, the passenger pegs, which probably contributed a lot to the relatively small damage. I also have a wider bar. That helped protecting the tank. I should mention that the crash was at a very low speed.

Since the crash, I added engine case sliders/protectors, front axle protector and bar end protectors. Basically covering the points that did get scratched. Based on @barbagris recommendation, I ordered passenger peg sliders. The left foot peg and shifter tip were scratched as well. Not sure that could have been avoided. Gave me a reason to purchase rearests.

see more here: (Faux) Gilles rearsets

Registered
I had very little crash protection installed, prior to the crash. I did have, though, the passenger pegs, which probably contributed a lot to the relatively small damage. I also have a wider bar. That helped protecting the tank. I should mention that the crash was at a very low speed.

Since the crash, I added engine case sliders/protectors, front axle protector and bar end protectors. Basically covering the points that did get scratched. Based on @barbagris recommendation, I ordered passenger peg sliders. The left foot peg and shifter tip were scratched as well. Not sure that could have been avoided. Gave me a reason to purchase rearests.

see more here: (Faux) Gilles rearsets
Thanks. Good info. I also kept the passenger pegs for that reason but now considering some extra protection.
Did you go with solidly mounted case savers (where mounting bolts replace oem bolts) or the type mounted to a bracket? I was concerned that solidly mounted could damage threaded(engine) side on impact as opposed to bracket type, that would probably not help too much with impact, but still help with abrasion. Thoughts?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Did you go with solidly mounted case savers (where mounting bolts replace oem bolts) or the type mounted to a bracket? I was concerned that solidly mounted could damage threaded(engine) side on impact as opposed to bracket type, that would probably not help too much with impact, but still help with abrasion. Thoughts?
It's actually a combination. The ones I got from @colombo use some of the OEM bolts and a couple of longer bolts. They seem to be covering the right points. The left side looks better than the right, which is a bit big for my taste, but I think that they will both function well.

Reactions: MoHawk
41 - 43 of 43 Posts