KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Sunday I attended an 'intro' session at our local track The Bend (Tailem Bend, South Australia). The intro sessions are the first two 20 minute sessions in the Red (slow) group, designed as a taster for those wanting some track time without committing a full day. For me it was perfect - I wanted to ride The Bend; I wanted to sample the 890 on track; I didnt want to commit a full day; I didnt want to spend too many $$ & I didnt want to spend much time on prep (tyres / tyre warmers / trailer / etc).
I rode from home to track & return (a bit over an hour each way), with my only prep on the day being tyre pressure, fuel, & removing the mirrors. Tyres were Michelin Road 5's with about 8000km use, & these were fine for this day.

I have done a few track days in the past (Daytona 675 track bike) on various tracks, but nothing in last few years (sold the 675). The Bend is a relatively new track (3 or 4 years?) & is described as being quite technical. We rode the International circuit, 4.85km long with 18 corners. The day was dry, sunny, & warmish around 32C. I was a bit suprised how slow our first session started-for me it was very cruisy & below road pace, but it did get a bit faster as slower riders were passed. The second session was much better - now some idea where the track went (a large number of blind corners) & 'who was who in the zoo'. I took it pretty easy but it was great to play & explore the bikes capabilities more than possible on road.

Absolutely loved the bike on the track - no problems or surprises, handling was superb as were the brakes, & it certainly gets along pretty well. Have to say it does get a bit windy a long the main staight - I saw 225kmh & then stopped looking at the speedo.Tyres held up fine, with 32psi front & 34psi rear. Suspension set to Sport as per the specifications - very handy having that info under the seat!

I will definitley attend another intro day - I like riding to the track & the minimal fuss, & it was good to meet some like minded souls without the 'trackday jockey' mindset & pressure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That sounds perfect mate, I'm now wondering if they do anything similar in the UK, worth a look! Cheers for the write up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
That sounds perfect mate, I'm now wondering if they do anything similar in the UK, worth a look! Cheers for the write up.
Watching Bennett insurances YouTube channel seems to indicate they do some great track days for the interested but more casual crowd. Would be great if we had more "track day" culture here in Canada.

·
Registered
7 Posts
'Bike' magazine UK used to do something called 'reclaim our tracks' which was various tracks around the UK where you had to ride the bike to the track, had to have valid MOT, no tyre warmers etc. to allow for a very casual atmosphere and get people interested in track days. I don't think they run them anymore though.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
34 Posts
What tools did you bring to change the suspension to sport at the track? I still don't even know the correct tool to adjust the rear preload. It looks like a socket and u-joint are needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tools - should be everything you need in the tool kit that comes with the bike.
Forks are simple - external adjusters on fork caps.
Shock - small screwdriver for adjusting damping, & an allen key (5mm?) For adjusting preload.

I had heard about the UK 'road bike track days' previously & think its a great idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts