KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my advanced rider's safety course here in Italy only to find out my new Arai Signet X from the US isn't ECE rated!? Great. Now I need a new lid. What's good for a long oval fit? I'm reading up on Icon helmets. The Airflite looks goofy with the visor going all the way to the bottom of the chin bar. The airframe pro looks good, but I'm worried about the "sport bike stance" build of the helmet- I need to be able to look down and see my gauges and phone for navigation while in a more "duke 790" upright stance. I could get the Euro version of my helmet, the "QV Pro", but it's nearly $700.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This probably isn't the best advice, but I'd personally just find an ECE sticker and slap it on there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That could work... I'm sure some shady ebay person has 'em for sale. Or I can get a new lid and then I'll have 2 helmets.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a pretty oval shaped head... AGV fit really nicely, but you don't like the sport bike look and they're very sharp and aerodynamic looking.
My latest lid is a Shoei NXR (RF-1200 in the US) and it is the best thing I've ever put on my head.
Not only does it fit better than the AGV's I've had previously, it's got a much better quality lining, the vents actually work, it's significantly lighter and less noisy, the finish and quality is miles ahead and the shell is smaller. I have a very small head and I'm quite slim so most helmets make me look like a bobble-head. This new Shoei is phenomenal. Plus the shape is relatively round and not overly aggressive. Not as round as an Arai, but the next best thing.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
In the EU there are lids available that are NOT found in the US.

Most Dual-Road lids have a huge angle of view - vertical and horizontal. Just take the sun-peak off if you don't like it. Also - generally - they vent well.

And there is the CABERG LEVO/HORUS option which does have an extended eyeport. Caberg usually gets 4 or 5 stars in the SHARP tests. I am a big fan, but for me in summer they're a bit warm.

The Airflite is HEAVY - I went to try one on.

If they are whinging about the ECE sticker - then be VERY careful there with tinted visors. I know that the Italian police do make random stops for all sorts of stuff. And if they don't like the bike <whatever> then you do NOT get to ride home.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I used arais before moving to the shoei nxr great fit, on my second one now and some bargains to be had as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well since I'm in Italy, I'm going to give AGV a try. I like the K5S and K6. There's lot of moto shops, so hopefully I can try some on in person. It'll cost more in Euro vs. buying on Revilla, but I won't have to wait a month for it to arrive and find out the size is wrong.

The K5 has the built in sun visor- so if it works, that would be nice. Normally I run a smoked visor and pack a clear if I'll be out past sunset.

I heard a horror story of some harley guys getting stopped up by Rome and the Garbarini wouldn't let one guy ride because his helmet wasn't ECE rated. I guess he had to walk to a place to buy a helmet to continue on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a K3 and hated the internal sun visor. Warped my vision and I would look at the bottom edge of the sunvisor distracting me from the road.
I bought a Transitions visor for my Shoei NXR and it's one of the best things I've ever bought...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to hear, I was going to wonder if the internal visor would be annoying. The more I think about it, the more I think I'll just ride with my Arai. The chance of getting stopped for it are pretty remote. I have a limo black visor and that will probably get me in more trouble...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Good to hear, I was going to wonder if the internal visor would be annoying. The more I think about it, the more I think I'll just ride with my Arai. The chance of getting stopped for it are pretty remote. I have a limo black visor and that will probably get me in more trouble...
Ask somebody about insurance implications!

Nobody expects it. But if a car clipped you and you get concussion - they may be able to escape 3rd Party liability because it's not an approved lid. I'm dead serious - I was clipped by a car in German many years ago. And they tried to avoid all sorts of things because the bike wasn't German. Luckily my then colleague was son to an insurance lawyer.

Mate there are good (maybe not per se stunning) ECE lids out there for under 100Euros. For choice set limit at 200€. I will be trying an LS2 next week. Not because they're Spanish, but because I have yet to hear anybody with one say anything negative.

As you will have seen - ECE lids should have a clear visor. But fit a Photochromatic Pinlock - it's legal - and a drop down shield too. It's dark inside. They don't look as bitchin' of course.
I see no reason EVER to attract the attention of Law Officers.

Also - and I say this from experience - If you will be riding many tunnels or Alpine galleries in Italy - Riding with a Dark visor (or sunglasses) becomes "interesting". They are not always lit. Just saying, OK!. This is when the internal visor really becomes useful - Just flip it up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm covered by US military for medical. I actually have to have required gear on for them to cover any medical bills. Boots, gloves, reflective vest or belt, etc.

The Arai is actually rated higher than ECE (Snell and DOT) but because it was bought in the US, it's not ECE rated. Good point on the visor, in the US a dark visor is fine during the daytime. I have a pinlock clear visor, I can find a tinted or photochromatic liner for that. I'm pretty sensitive to sunlight, I can't stand being outside without sunglasses.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm covered by US military for medical. I actually have to have required gear on for them to cover any medical bills. Boots, gloves, reflective vest or belt, etc.

The Arai is actually rated higher than ECE (Snell and DOT) but because it was bought in the US, it's not ECE rated. Good point on the visor, in the US a dark visor is fine during the daytime. I have a pinlock clear visor, I can find a tinted or photochromatic liner for that. I'm pretty sensitive to sunlight, I can't stand being outside without sunglasses.
I thought DOT was the lowest rating? Photochromatic is amazing... They change so fast and my Shoei Transitions visor gets basically as dark as a full tint.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
but because it was bought in the US, it's not ECE rated.
Other marques seem to manage to make lids that meet all criteria.

Purely as an example

Not criticizing YOU - rather a helmet mfr that frankly, given the price, should be more considerate.
I KNOW why they do it. It's petty.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Other marques seem to manage to make lids that meet all criteria.

Purely as an example

View attachment 5386

Not criticizing YOU - rather a helmet mfr that frankly, given the price, should be more considerate.
I KNOW why they do it. It's petty.

IIRC in Arai's case, they sell DOT and ECE specific helmets in the applicable regions with only a couple dual cert helmets available in Europe.
For the overwhelming majority of purchasers, I'd imagine this probably doesn't present an issue as they're getting a helmet compliant with where they ride.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Photochromatic pinlock just cost me $67 :eek:
But - ime - they work really well. I have one in my "due for replacement" Caberg. tbh - I think Pinlock should make ONLY the P-C version. Seems crazy to me to supply a helmet with the normal one - would rather pay a bit more and have the P-C from day one than have to pay AGAIN. Or sell lid without the insert which is starting to become more common.

I know one or two "secrets" about one or two helmet mfrs and "compliance testing" - including attempting to supply non "shop quality" lids for the tests and lobbying to get poor tests quashed.
No! - I will not betray the trust of my source - but suffice it to say that all that glitters is usually NOT gold.

ECE 22.06 is seriously going to upset one or two brands. I doubt anything SNELL certified will have many issues. But lateral blow tests are going to make some carbon fibre lids A LOT heavier.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts