KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
A d m i n .
151,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Street bikes I've always left stock (until now) or replaced with basic EBC HH's but on my race bikes I ran Vesrah SRJL's - mainly because they were available for sale trackside by a vendor and of course they were awesome pads for a reasonable price.

I heard from a few friends who still race that the EPFA's aren't quite as immediate in their bite as the top spec race pads are but overall offer similar performance with a better lever feel - that works for me! Only tradeoff is they need a tad bit of heat to get up to proper working temps versus crappy oem pads - I can handle that.
Vesrah's were available trackside, at Loudon, NH for me as well, most raved about them. You're spot on about letting a lil bit o heat get in 'em.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think the EBC EPFA are any better than original pads nor any other ROAD sintered pads. I can not believe how many people believe that they improved the brakes with changing pads. Those brakes need new master cylinder and the disks from the Powerparts catalogue

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't think the EBC EPFA are any better than original pads nor any other ROAD sintered pads. I can not believe how many people believe that they improved the brakes with changing pads. Those brakes need new master cylinder and the disks from the Powerparts catalogue
If with "road" you mean "road legal" I have to strongly disagree.
I have had 4 different set of pads on my CBR600F2 in a year doing some track days in the meanwhile and I could tell the difference even with the old and lousy calipers and master cylinder connected with new lines in place.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Changing the pads from the original does and did help, however you are right in saying a new master cylinder is the biggest step for improved braking.
That’s why I fitted a new Brembo RCS master cylinder, and now my braking is great, but I would be happier if they fitted Brembo’s as standard, even if it did mean paying a bit more for the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great thread.

Might be a dumb question; haven't got to the rear brake pads yet.

But I was wondering if any merit in going a less agressive pad for the rear eg for trail braking?
Eg. Sintered on the front, and organic or semi-sintered on the rear?

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I had no reason to replace the OE in the rear. Does a good job as is.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Great thread.

Might be a dumb question; haven't got to the rear brake pads yet.

But I was wondering if any merit in going a less agressive pad for the rear eg for trail braking?
Eg. Sintered on the front, and organic or semi-sintered on the rear?
Be carefull. Trail braking should be done with a light, precise use of the FRONT brake. This is happening when the bike is already leaned over. Using the rear could end badly

·
Registered
18 Posts
My understanding is that trail braking can be done with front brake only, or rear brake only, or both?

For general riding, I find I trail the rear brake more often, tight low speed corners or maneuvering, which puts a lot of wear on disc and pads; hence I was seeking opinions.

Is there any merit using a less aggressive rear brake pad like organic or semi-sintered; and sintered pads on the front.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ordered (eBay) a set of EBC HH brake pads on the recommendation from a few on here, Getting them from the UK, doing my bit for the mother land (Brexit).

·
A d m i n .
151,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Ordered (eBay) a set of EBC HH brake pads on the recommendation from a few on here, Getting them from the UK, doing my bit for the mother land (Brexit).
Nice!

To be straight, others mentioned additional brands of HH pads, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

The EBC's worked really well on my race bike, as well as street bikes, so I just continue to use that brand. :smile:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Nice!

To be straight, others mentioned additional brands of HH pads, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

The EBC's worked really well on my race bike, as well as street bikes, so I just continue to use that brand. :smile:
Cool, I've been using Vesrah on my last 6 or so bikes, so looking forward to see how the EBCs perform, at 10,000kms and 5 trackdays the pads are down to around 2.5mm, so time to change them out. The factory pads were ok, but had a weak initial bite, but progressively stronger with heat.

·
136 Posts
Fitted the EBC FA244HH. Same as installed on Evans' bike and not the EPFA. Did not ride it yet. Will do tomorrow and report back.

BTW, one interesting thing I saw when pulling the old (practically new) original pads out: they say SBS 24HH Sintered. So it is not a junk pad to begin with. Looking forward to wee what the EBC will feel like.
As noted by QCS, the stock ones are already HH, just not the brand of choice. I noted the same thing when I installed the EBCs.

·
A d m i n .
151,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
As noted by QCS, the stock ones are already HH, just not the brand of choice. I noted the same thing when I installed the EBCs.
Seemingly a handful of items on the 790D were not the best quality bits, front hh pads being one of them.

I've felt meh about nearly every stock tire that appeared on a new moto of mine, couldn't wait to replace 'em. :wink:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Many companies like EBC and Galfer have 3 or 4 different type of HH pad, they each have carbon and ceramic percentage recording to the utilisation they are ment for. It goes from stock to more aggressive drive to sporty and track day to superbike track only ones. Now what do you really need and/or what you are welling to pay. For me i know that with new rubber and a warmer weather I’ll be squeezing the lever fairly hard. Remember that Rok can do brake wheelie as he which with stock pad !!!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts