KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before all y'all jump to say I am a cheap b**tard, I apologize in advance. @fredaroony, please reserve judgement for this poor cheap CNC parts addict.

Well, had a small mishap on the track, very low speed. Nothing that required major surgery. The rear passenger foot pegs saved the bike's ass. Literally. That's exactly why I never took them off.

Some Cheap repairs later...

Painting the rear foot pegs and a few other scratches with black nail polish, until next time:
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Crankset Bicycle frame

Adding some cheap amazon bar-end sliders:
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread Wheel

Some front eBay axle sliders:
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Case sliders/savers/covers I got from @colombo :
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle brake

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust

And finally, I decided to replace the rearsets, as the left was slightly damaged:
Tool Bicycle part Font Auto part Metal

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Went to eBay and purchased what looked to be a nice copy of the Gilles rearsets. When it arrived from China, about a week later, I was very surprised to see the quality or the kit. It is really nicely built and put together. I will not be surprised if it came from the same production facility. That said, it does not have the Gilles name on it, which for me is better. Cost is about 1/3 of the real thing.

Please note that I do not, in any way, encourage any of you to buy imitation parts. I have been buying, installing and riding Chinese CNC parts for years, with success. This is the first time I am getting something that seems like it has a very clear non-chinese origin.

Here are pics of the kit:
Grey Floor Flooring Font Art

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Installation was a breeze. I took my time, but it was not difficult:

Starting with the right(brake side) I took everything off, placed the new peg, using OEM fasteners and blue Loctite. I used the PP rearsets instructions for steps, torque, etc. I attach it below. I had no issues removing the larger bolt with a 19mm socket and a breaker bar.

When re-installing and torqueing the pivot bolts, you will need to hold the opposite side in order to be able to torque to spec. Easily done with a breaker bar an a T50.

Here are some pics:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motorcycle
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Attachments

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And then the other side. Sam story. Not too complicated:

Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I put everything on #2 setting, which is about +7.5mm higher and +8 mm back. May readjust after riding.
Slope Font Parallel Rectangle Circle

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And, finally, retired my trusted Arai Corsair that got banged up in the crash.
Body jewelry Natural material Creative arts Jewellery Gemstone

Registered
2020 790 Duke
First, I am glad nothing happened to you and not much to the bike.
About Chinese knock offs: I have also been buying more cost effective alternatives, and have done well with them. As you said, some are hard to tell from the name brand parts and I figured, as you did, that some of these parts might be the very same without the brand stamped on it. Some of the exhaust even give you option to have a brand logo or not.
Now, sometimes you might get something that seems sub-par or doesn't fit right or you just don't like. I have never had a problem returning things, so there is no loss.
I am thinking about getting those rearsets myself. I'll be interested in learning how well you like them. They do look legit.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am thinking about getting those rearsets myself. I'll be interested in learning how well you like them. They do look legit.
They look very well made and seem to be working well. Will take a longer ride tomorrow and report back. It was too hot when I finished installing them, for anything longer than a ride around the block. Will let you know.

Registered
I've said my piece in other threads...perhaps too much haha

I had to use an impact wrench to get one side of the swingarm pivot bolt off as one side came off easy but the other would just spin. Would have been easier if KTM keyed the ends of the swingarm pivot

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've said my piece in other threads...perhaps too much haha

I had to use an impact wrench to get one side of the swingarm pivot bolt off as one side came off easy but the other would just spin. Would have been easier if KTM keyed the ends of the swingarm pivot
No worries. I truly respect your position. I use similar logic when it comes to more sophisticated parts. Just have a hard time justifying some of the prices when it's just machining, which is probably subcontracted to China anyway. I do think that some very nice engineering/design went into these rearsets, so that is definitely cost.

Both sides came out easily with a 19mm socket and a breaker bar. Whan I tried to torque back to 100NM, both sides were spinning, so I held one with a breaker bar and a T50, while torqueing the other with the torque wrench and the 19mm.

After reading some of the comments, I was concerned that I will need use an impact. I decided to try without first and it worked just fine. I may have been lucky. Worst case, I would have had to pull out a few more (power) tools.

Will report back after I ride it.

Registered
No worries. I truly respect your position. I use similar logic when it comes to more sophisticated parts. Just have a hard time justifying some of the prices when it's just machining, which is probably subcontracted to China anyway. I do think that some very nice engineering/design went into these rearsets, so that is definitely cost.

Both sides came out easily with a 19mm socket and a breaker bar. Whan I tried to torque back to 100NM, both sides were spinning, so I held one with a breaker bar and a T50, while torqueing the other with the torque wrench and the 19mm.

After reading some of the comments, I was concerned that I will need use an impact. I decided to try without first and it worked just fine. I may have been lucky. Worst case, I would have had to pull out a few more (power) tools.

Will report back after I ride it.
Lets just say the last few years changed my views on many things...

I ended up buying an impact wrench just to get the damn bolt off lol. I wanted one anyway so was an easy excuse

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My father, who had a very impressive ability to fix almost anything, told me that there are never too many tools and that the right tool for a job will make all the difference in the world.

These days, I buy tools before I buy parts. Enjoy the new impact wrench!

Registered
My father, who had a very impressive ability to fix almost anything, told me that there are never too many tools and that the right tool for a job will make all the difference in the world.

These days, I buy tools before I buy parts. Enjoy the new impact wrench!
Your father is a very smart man! Having the right tool of the job sure makes life easier.

Registered
careful, i buy chinesium crap all the time, read into the squabble on here when I posted up about the $125 evotech sheetmetal radiator guard that you can get for $20 bucks where everyone was lol this is a joke - its not even mounted on - when I didnt even mount it lol and just shoved it there for a pic

Buuuut I wouldnt put rearsets on, ive had bad vortex and driven rearsets and that is namebrand made in usa ****, rearsets are not something i would get knockoffs for, radiator guard is fine since it will never see any load on it other then air, thats just my 2cents

Registered
2020 790 Duke
careful, i buy chinesium crap all the time, read into the squabble on here when I posted up about the $125 evotech sheetmetal radiator guard that you can get for $20 bucks where everyone was lol this is a joke - its not even mounted on - when I didnt even mount it lol and just shoved it there for a pic

Buuuut I wouldnt put rearsets on, ive had bad vortex and driven rearsets and that is namebrand made in usa ****, rearsets are not something i would get knockoffs for, radiator guard is fine since it will never see any load on it other then air, thats just my 2cents
I had some 'made in USA' Dan Moto rearsets. Nice cnc and carbon. Reasonably priced compared with Vortex. I lost the shifter rod and ordered a replacement from them. The part was shipped to me directly. From China.

It makes me laugh when people say 'Chinese junk' as if at least 80% of what they have were not Chinese junk. You know, your Nikon or Cannon, your tv, your S1000 BMW, your phone, your chicken .... lol. Cracks me up. I located the Galfer factory even.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Went to eBay and purchased what looked to be a nice copy of the Gilles rearsets. When it arrived from China, about a week later, I was very surprised to see the quality or the kit. It is really nicely built and put together. I will not be surprised if it came from the same production facility. That said, it does not have the Gilles name on it, which for me is better. Cost is about 1/3 of the real thing.

Please note that I do not, in any way, encourage any of you to buy imitation parts. I have been buying, installing and riding Chinese CNC parts for years, with success. This is the first time I am getting something that seems like it has a very clear non-chinese origin.

Here are pics of the kit:
View attachment 9577
So how much were those on Amazon? Ali has them for $120 U.S. It does take about a month to get them.

Registered
Just have a hard time justifying some of the prices when it's just machining, which is probably subcontracted to China anyway. I do think that some very nice engineering/design went into these rearsets, so that is definitely cost.
Gilles Tooling factory is in Luxembourg, and who can say what quality of aluminum or grade of hardware was supplied with these counterfeit rearsets. I know when I鈥榤 riding hard all my body weight is transferred through the pegs, I鈥檇 be concerned about hitting a pothole and snapping a peg bolt off. I know I鈥檝e said it b4, if you can afford a premium toy like an ktm you can afford to support living wages and fair labour practices.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So how much were those on Amazon? Ali has them for $120 U.S. It does take about a month to get them.
Said Amazon, but meant eBay. Corrected the first post. I paid more. For $120 I would go Ali.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gilles Tooling factory is in Luxembourg, and who can say what quality of aluminum or grade of hardware was supplied with these counterfeit rearsets. I know when I鈥榤 riding hard all my body weight is transferred through the pegs, I鈥檇 be concerned about hitting a pothole and snapping a peg bolt off. I know I鈥檝e said it b4, if you can afford a premium toy like an ktm you can afford to support living wages and fair labour practices.
Fair comments.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts