KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The SW Motech rack comes with an exhaust deflector, but the Powerparts rack does not and I bought that one based on looks and a slightly higher load capacity. I hoped the topcase was far enough from the exhaust stream that a deflector was not necessary, since KTM sells a topcase for that rack. Also, my 35l Coocase is considerably narrower than the much larger KTM model, but it gets too hot after an hour of riding. Does anyone sell an exhaust deflector for the Powerparts rack?

·
Registered
12 Posts
@wil780 Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

I've just ordered the KTM top rack + the luggage carrier plate. I would like to strap a dry bag or duffel to the top rack and am worried about the exhaust gasses. When you say that it would get too hot after an hour of riding, how hot are we talking? It is hot enough to melt a bag or hard case?

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The surface exposed to the exhaust gets uncomfortably warm, but not too hot to touch. The contents of the top box eventually get very warm - like sitting out in the sun on a hot day (my top box is black). My concerns are the seams of my rain gear, my tire plug cement and the batteries in my SPOT satellite tracker which rides in the top box. I made a shield out of aluminum that matches the profile of the top box and sandwiched it between the box and the rack. It's painted black and not really noticeable, and it drops the internal temperature substantially.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The surface exposed to the exhaust gets uncomfortably warm, but not too hot to touch. The contents of the top box eventually get very warm - like sitting out in the sun on a hot day (my top box is black). My concerns are the seams of my rain gear, my tire plug cement and the batteries in my SPOT satellite tracker which rides in the top box. I made a shield out of aluminum that matches the profile of the top box and sandwiched it between the box and the rack. It's painted black and not really noticeable, and it drops the internal temperature substantially.
That's very helpful, thank you! I'll need to try out the top rack with a soft bag to see how it goes. I'm OK with contents getting very warm, as long as it's not enough to damage the bag itself. If it does, I'll need to look into some way to fab up a heat deflector similiar to the SW Motech or Hepco Becker ones, but able to work with the PP luggage system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts