KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Got the KTM clutch and ignition sliders and opened the box looked at the instruction manual and got to where it said "prepare to catch oil and lay bike on its side" and said nope to that part. Not sure if I'll had a standard frame slider or not
I’m thinking I will do the Hepco & Becker Engine bars. Only $260.

Engine protection bar incl. protectionpad - black for KTM 890 Duke R (2020-)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ordered the Yoshi stuff from Rottweiler. The tail tidy was pretty much plug and play. You have to cut the taillight/brake light before the harness but they send you heat shrink solder connectors for it, was easy as pie (well except I didn't like the way the instructions had you mount the stock taillights back up so I monkeyed with that some).

Got the tech pack and cruise control setup on it when I picked it up and have an apt Tuesday to get the factory heated grips installed on it. Broke it in on the Dyno yesterday so it's ready to ride now =)

And yeah already swapped out the stock tires, I live in Seattle and ride year-round and the stock tires were sketchy as heck in the rain and cold, so put a pair of Road 5's on there. Added a radiator guard, axle sliders etc.
Sick man !!! So lucky you can ride during all seasons man!! Drive safe and enjoy!!! And what do you mean when you say broke it in on the dyno? ( noob question haha)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I put mine on without ANY leakage. Carefully remove the mount bolts and install the sliders. If you are REALLY worried about it, tip the bike on it's side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey everyone!! Thank you for all your comments on my last discussion about the 890 and the 2021 mt09 SP! I just made a deposit for the 2021 890 duke r here in quebec, Canada!!! The dealer only had 4 of them delivered in March and only two were still available so I’m super happy and cannot wait to try this beauty!!

The Akrapovic at the dealer is more than 2k! Should i go for it? How does the stock exhaust souds like? And which exhaust isn’t too loud that i can’t fire up the bike at 6:30 am to go to work!
Thank you !!!
Hey everyone!! Thank you for all your comments on my last discussion about the 890 and the 2021 mt09 SP! I just made a deposit for the 2021 890 duke r here in quebec, Canada!!! The dealer only had 4 of them delivered in March and only two were still available so I’m super happy and cannot wait to try this beauty!!

The Akrapovic at the dealer is more than 2k! Should i go for it? How does the stock exhaust souds like? And which exhaust isn’t too loud that i can’t fire up the bike at 6:30 am to go to work!
Thank you !!!
i have the akra with a decat pipe and i leave at 4:30am....nieghbours have got used to it.😁

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hate the look of the stock exhaust. I know they spent money in other places so I'm fine with that. I previously had an SC Project exhaust on my NineT and I was very happy with the quality and the sound.

For the 890R I looked at a few options. The Akra is expensive and too big IMO. The Wings looks good and is a solid option although I find the logo to be a bit loud. The Yoshi is too bulbus and doesn't look good to me. Arrow has a variety of options, some of which are interesting and some which look too short or have an abrupt cutoff which doesn't flow with the lines of the bike. SC Project's GP is also a bit too stumpy for me. I ended up going with the S1 which appears, at least visually, to be smaller than the Wings but at the same time not too stumpy. It should arrive today.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hate the look of the stock exhaust. I know they spent money in other places so I'm fine with that. I previously had an SC Project exhaust on my NineT and I was very happy with the quality and the sound.

For the 890R I looked at a few options. The Akra is expensive and too big IMO. The Wings looks good and is a solid option although I find the logo to be a bit loud. The Yoshi is too bulbus and doesn't look good to me. Arrow has a variety of options, some of which are interesting and some which look too short or have an abrupt cutoff which doesn't flow with the lines of the bike. SC Project's GP is also a bit too stumpy for me. I ended up going with the S1 which appears, at least visually, to be smaller than the Wings but at the same time not too stumpy. It should arrive today.
i have an SC on my CBR1000rr SP2 but on the 890 its way to loud.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't mind that Yoshi, not a blobby and bulky looking as the other one. Can do without the chrome though but I guess that can be fixed. The Akra looks good but is a little big for my tastes. Any issues with melting turn signals with the tail tidy?

I have the stock cats and I ride with ear plugs so I'm hoping it is not too loud. We will see.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Pretty sure Wings will do a logo delete if you ask them to, they have very good customer service.

I have Wings on mine, hard to beat bang for buck wise. I replaced the stocker strictly because it was so fugly..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pretty sure Wings will do a logo delete if you ask them to, they have very good customer service.

I have Wings on mine, hard to beat bang for buck wise. I replaced the stocker strictly because it was so fugly..
I didn't think of that. If the SC Project doesn't work out, I'll look in to that. The SC came in today, I'll slip it on when I get some time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Slipon installed. I love the look and I think it works perfectly with the bike.

I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but I do not think it is too loud. It has a much lower grumble than stock and sounds amazing. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow. Here is a video of the first startup after I put it on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't mind that Yoshi, not a blobby and bulky looking as the other one. Can do without the chrome though but I guess that can be fixed. The Akra looks good but is a little big for my tastes. Any issues with melting turn signals with the tail tidy?

I have the stock cats and I ride with ear plugs so I'm hoping it is not too loud. We will see.
a mate had his turn signal melt, i made my fender eleminator and the turn signal is just high enough to not melt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Slipon installed. I love the look and I think it works perfectly with the bike.

I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but I do not think it is too loud. It has a much lower grumble than stock and sounds amazing. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow. Here is a video of the first startup after I put it on.

View attachment 7047 View attachment 7048

your SC looks great but if you remove your cat and DB killer for unrestricted flow it will be really loud....

·
Registered
30 Posts
your SC looks great but if you remove your cat and DB killer for unrestricted flow it will be really loud....
Finally took it for a ride today. Definitely not too loud and not much louder than stock. Lower for sure but surprisingly pretty tame. Love it!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
From Slovenia with Love.
Sounds like an ad for "Mail Order Brides" - Oh and Wings look better in Matte Carbon - so there :p;)

I know I may be in a minority with this - but imo, the wings has a plus. The killer/baffle thingie has a spark arrestor. Which here in summer-wildfire-land is a bit of a must really.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sounds like an ad for "Mail Order Brides" - Oh and Wings look better in Matte Carbon - so there :p;)
To each their own! I like the look of the ADV pipe finish, I bet it looks great.
If your running a catalytic converter your more likely to start a fire with that then with a spark.

·
Registered
74 Posts
[
Finally took it for a ride today. Definitely not too loud and not much louder than stock. Lower for sure but surprisingly pretty tame. Love it!
Any idea if torque and HP lessened by the Slip on? Did you Bevels in? where did your order and approx cost. Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Any idea if torque and HP lessened by the Slip on? Did you Bevels in? where did your order and approx cost. Thanks
For most bikes (including the 790/890) with a slip-on that doesn't replace the cat, you won't notice an appreciable gain/loss of power as almost all of the restriction of air flow comes from the cat. Replacing only the silencer should be done for weight, aesthetic, or aural improvement. Replacing the cat (a full system on the Duke, or the silencer on a 690/701 which integrates the cat into the silencer) will almost always require a re-tune to gain HP and/or avoid losing power. Also, a full system without a tune will cause most bikes to run lean, which means HOT. Heat is the bane of the ICE engine, so if you DO replace the cat, it's very, very important to get a tune to protect the longevity of your motor.

Source: Worked as the US distributor for LeoVince USA for a year then for Arrow Exhaust for 2 years.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts