KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!! Thank you for all your comments on my last discussion about the 890 and the 2021 mt09 SP! I just made a deposit for the 2021 890 duke r here in quebec, Canada!!! The dealer only had 4 of them delivered in March and only two were still available so I’m super happy and cannot wait to try this beauty!!

The Akrapovic at the dealer is more than 2k! Should i go for it? How does the stock exhaust souds like? And which exhaust isn’t too loud that i can’t fire up the bike at 6:30 am to go to work!
Thank you !!!

·
Registered
'20 890R
48 Posts
Congrats with the 890 👍
I went with the Wings slip-on and can only recommend it. With the baffle out the sound level is just right.

There's a couple of sound clips in this video (in the middle and at the end).

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Frankly - The stock pipe has quite a nice burble to it. It was part of what drew me to the 790 on the test ride,

I too have the Wings pipe and tbh with the dB killer in it is , I think, quieter than the stock one. With dB killer out - it's not TOO loud.
In full disclaimer mode - I also added the COOBER box with it which came with a WINGS sticker on.
Any €-approved pipe will be OK sound wise as it's the Cat-Box that really mutes the zorst.
There is a video on youtube of an Italian guy who was running his with just the cat box.

BUT - be cautious of the short low volume tail pipes. Many have shown to have a marked effect on torque and power.
Some of them are really nice looking mind you.

If it were me - I'd run it in with the stock pipe first.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frankly - The stock pipe has quite a nice burble to it. It was part of what drew me to the 790 on the test ride,

I too have the Wings pipe and tbh with the dB killer in it is , I think, quieter than the stock one. With dB killer out - it's not TOO loud.
In full disclaimer mode - I also added the COOBER box with it which came with a WINGS sticker on.
Any €-approved pipe will be OK sound wise as it's the Cat-Box that really mutes the zorst.
There is a video on youtube of an Italian guy who was running his with just the cat box.

BUT - be cautious of the short low volume tail pipes. Many have shown to have a marked effect on torque and power.
Some of them are really nice looking mind you.

If it were me - I'd run it in with the stock pipe first.
So you would recommend a slip on instead of full system?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats with the 890 👍
I went with the Wings slip-on and can only recommend it. With the baffle out the sound level is just right.

There's a couple of sound clips in this video (in the middle and at the end).
Alright cool!!! So a full system is not a must?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
So you would recommend a slip on instead of full system?
What are you looking for? - A full system will almost certainly involve other modifications. The rabbit hole can get very very deep.
Hand on heart - If I had not already bought the WINGS/COOBER as a set - I'd stay with the OEM.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm one that can't leave well enough alone. I didn't care for the sound with the stock pipe (nor the looks really, not that it matters). I like having a louder pipe, but also a smooth running bike. I went with an Austin Racing slip on, and most folks here warned me it would be too loud. It's absolutely not, and honestly it's not loud enough. Not to mention, I think it might have a slight impact to the bike. So I'm now looking at getting an AR decat pipe, and loading up the Akra map. I want more sound and more smoothness. We'll see if I get that with this next set of exhaust upgrades.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are you looking for? - A full system will almost certainly involve other modifications. The rabbit hole can get very very deep.
Hand on heart - If I had not already bought the WINGS/COOBER as a set - I'd stay with the OEM.
Okay thank you!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm one that can't leave well enough alone. I didn't care for the sound with the stock pipe (nor the looks really, not that it matters). I like having a louder pipe, but also a smooth running bike. I went with an Austin Racing slip on, and most folks here warned me it would be too loud. It's absolutely not, and honestly it's not loud enough. Not to mention, I think it might have a slight impact to the bike. So I'm now looking at getting an AR decat pipe, and loading up the Akra map. I want more sound and more smoothness. We'll see if I get that with this next set of exhaust upgrades.
Keep us posted!! What did you pay for the austin slip on? And when you say slight impact you mean negative impact?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey everyone!! Thank you for all your comments on my last discussion about the 890 and the 2021 mt09 SP! I just made a deposit for the 2021 890 duke r here in quebec, Canada!!! The dealer only had 4 of them delivered in March and only two were still available so I’m super happy and cannot wait to try this beauty!!

The Akrapovic at the dealer is more than 2k! Should i go for it? How does the stock exhaust souds like? And which exhaust isn’t too loud that i can’t fire up the bike at 6:30 am to go to work!
Thank you !!!
Stock exhaust sounds great I think actually. However I have a SW Mototech Speedpack I'm going to use and the stock pipe gets in the way. As such I went and bought a Delkevic pipe for mine so my Speedpack will work. Save your money on the Akro. Slip ons are totally overpriced for what they are. However I find the Delkevic a great deal. Paid 375.00 Canadian for mine delivered to my door. I had a set on my last bike a 2015 Zx14r and the quality of them is as good as any other pipe I have owned and they are not overpriced, great value!

Thank you !!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stock exhaust sounds great I think actually. However I have a SW Mototech Speedpack I'm going to use and the stock pipe gets in the way. As such I went and bought a Delkevic pipe for mine so my Speedpack will work. Save your money on the Akro. Slip ons are totally overpriced for what they are. However I find the Delkevic a great deal. Paid 375.00 Canadian for mine delivered to my door. I had a set on my last bike a 2015 Zx14r and the quality of them is as good as any other pipe I have owned and they are not overpriced, great value! View attachment 6040
Well well this seems a very good compromise!!! Thank you very much!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well well this seems a very good compromise!!! Thank you very much!!!
It sure is. I'm not willing to spend 2 grand for a perferated piece of pipe! Sure there is a little r and d that they put in but realistically you get very little extra performance if any at all now with just a slip on. I buy them just for the sound and esthetics, save your cash boss. Check out Delkevic USA, they have a ton of options for the Duke and I'm sure you can find something you like. Cheers from Leduc Alberta.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It sure is. I'm not willing to spend 2 grand for a perferated piece of pipe! Sure there is a little r and d that they put in but realistically you get very little extra performance if any at all now with just a slip on. I buy them just for the sound and esthetics, save your cash boss. Check out Delkevic USA, they have a ton of options for the Duke and I'm sure you can find something you like. Cheers from Leduc Alberta.
I’ve already look on the website haha!! Which one dis you buy? And i assume they all fit on the 890 as well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve already look on the website haha!! Which one dis you buy? And i assume they all fit on the 890 as well?
I went with this version, I'm sure it will fit the 890 as well as the frame is the same but you may want to message them just to double check.
Screenshot_20210108-110540.png
Screenshot_20210108-110529.png

1 - 20 of 43 Posts