KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I managed to make some progress fitting my Evotech tail tidy this morning on my Australian delivered 790, (euro led blinker model).
I noticed, when cutting the stock indicator wires, what looks like a small resistor, (its wrapped in heat shrink so cant really tell), on the factory loom, 1 each side.
I decided to retain this part of the wiring.
Im now getting the indicator warning on the dash, using these ebay led indicators and the stock heatshrunk bits.

Anyone know what those lumps in the loom are?
Do I need to remove them and just run a ceramic type resistor?
Any help would be hugely appreciated.

(edit: Just to clear things up, Im fitting aftermarket indicators)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have smaller aluminium ones that I am pretty determined to use.

Time to cut open these mysterious lumps I suppose.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, theres a small circuit board in there which is probably related to the Oem indicators

(pretty sure cree led's need at least a couple of microchips)

·
Registered
'19 790Duke, '20 RC 390
14 Posts
If you have the 790, you need to pop into your dealer and get them to set the system to led mode. I had a problem with one signal not working, but that is the fix.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have the 790, you need to pop into your dealer and get them to set the system to led mode. I had a problem with one signal not working, but that is the fix.
Did your 790 come with incandescent turn signals? If so I dont think this is relevant to my situation

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Things Ive tried ao far:

Circuit board included
Circuit board left out
1 x 10 ohm resistor
2 x 10 ohm resistor

Is it really that hard to put aftermarket indicators on this thing?

(edit: also tried 1x 12v led added, wanted to not give the warning at first, but then gave the warning.)

·
Registered
'19 790Duke, '20 RC 390
14 Posts
Did your 790 come with incandescent turn signals? If so I dont think this is relevant to my situation
Yes, as seen on my profile. The rear set is led (stock euro models). I found one didn't work when we tried to install the fronts, therefore, never did. When I finally get the one signal fixed, I will have to take it into the shop and get the system switched to led on the computer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah so obviously Ive already got LED mode.

I got it to work with no warning by wiring up 3 white 12v led's in parallel with the ebay indicator, no circuit board.
The led's have 470 ohm resistors attached.
Im off to the electronics shop to try and match the resistance with ceramic wire wound resistors, which I will wire in parallel.

So it looks like it really depends on which led indicator you are using.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, electronics shop said they dont have any resistors with wattage high enough, go to autoparts/motorbike shop.
Autoparts shop said they dont have anything with low enough ohms, as the ones they sell are meant for incandescent to led conversion.
I ended up coming home and wiring up the three led's for each side, and they will be hidden in the housing of the Evotech.

Not the result I was aiming for, but one of the benefits of the Evotech I suppose - its an aluminium housing.

·
Registered
'19 790Duke, '20 RC 390
14 Posts
Yes, as seen on my profile. The rear set is led (stock euro models). I found one didn't work when we tried to install the fronts, therefore, never did. When I finally get the one signal fixed, I will have to take it into the shop and get the system switched to led on the computer.
Adding on, I didn't know what the bikes are down there are in regards to the default setting on the dash. Just saying it could have triggered the bike to the default setting. I see you have found a solution. Sorry my thoughts didn't help with your problem, but you gave me ideas for mine. Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts