KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally picked one up. Last night I painted it per Geoff's recommendation. After I tested it, the light glare from the headlamp is unbearable. Since I got the smoked one, I wanted it slightly transparent, so I taped off from the top bolt holes to the corners. See pics. I will take some pics at night with the headlamp on once I fit it tonight. I will also let you guys know what I think of it once I take a ride with it installed.

No clue why they keep on turning sideways!! Sorry!

Attachments

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I had a week with it installed and it absolutely deflects a lot of the wind to the chest, but yes Geoff, agreed, it is all at the shoulders and head. In a crouch though it is beautiful. Wind right over my lid.

The light reflecting is still bad, though not nearly as bad as as if I didn't paint it. I still get the reflection from on the matte black, and it does transfer up to the unpainted section, but there isn't any glare. It as absolutely bearable at night, and actually now that I am used to it, I pay no attention to it. I also taped off the DRL behind the screen like Geoff did. That helped a lot more.

You would think the manufacturers would design a bit better to help eliminate the glare behind the shield. I understand though that extending it lower probably helps a lot with wind flow around the rider and catches the wind at the right angle.....at least I hope they tested for this!

·
Registered
307 Posts
So I had a week with it installed and it absolutely deflects a lot of the wind to the chest, but yes Geoff, agreed, it is all at the shoulders and head.
How is the wind turbulence/noise at your helmet? I had a bat puig that I returned because the wind noise was so much worse with it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
How is the wind turbulence/noise at your helmet? I had a bat puig that I returned because the wind noise was so much worse with it.
I am 1.82m Tall, there is less wind on my body and most of the wind passes over my shoulder without creating turbulence on my helmet.
when I exceed the speed limit, I always tend to go a little on the fuel tank.
All good for me. I wanted to remove it and put it back only for long journeys and finally I like the small comfort that it brings so I keep it in place

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't noticed any turbulence at all, as a matter of fact, it seems like it reduced the turbulence around my helmet. The wind seems to hit at the shoulders and head area, but noise doesn't seem any more or less inside. If I do a half tuck, lean forward a bit, the wind goes right over me. I am 6'4".

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
439 Posts
Maybe it's winter boredom fueling these thoughts but I have the Ermax screen in dark tint and also hate the glare reflected back but even more so I think it really takes away from the aesthetics, so....

Has anyone trimmed up one of these?

I'd like to keep a similar top profile just marbe 3" shaved off the top and the bottom as well goes too low IMO so maybe trim off 1.5-2" off that area as well to minimize the overall bulk of the unit.

My main reason for installing it was to protect the back of the TFT dash - one stray rock into that thing could cause headaches and cleaning it would be a nightmare as opposed to the flat screen surface.

Thoughts - would a dremmel melt the Ermax plastic? What could be used?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts