KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So thought I would review my experience.

I bought the ergo seat standard hight from a UK company and they sent me the +20mm seat by mistake. I took the opportunity to try it out before I returned it.

Initially the +20 seat felt a good bit comfier than the standard seat and it was clear to see the extra height and padding in it. However it totally changed the riding position for me and I just couldn't get used to it. Felt more tilted forward and more pressure on the wrists. (I'm 5'8 and just shy of 13 stone)

Once that was gone and my standard height seat arrived I went for a 4+ hour ride and honestly I am not really that impressed.

The standard height ergo seat does look way better in my opinion, and the riding position remains the same... however I was expecting more comfort and its barely any different to the stock seat. I still had a sore butt at the end of the ride, just maybe not as sore.

Maybe I got a dud but I think im going to wait for another company to come up with something better and send this back.

Any suggestions welcome if someone has tried something else. Seen a few on the web but mostly American companies

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. :( Ergonomics are quite subjective.

I got my +20 ergo seat when I bought my bike, so the stock seat's been sitting in storage since day 1. My DR came with a 2x4, and even on a Seat Concepts replacement my butt can't stand more than a few hours of riding. I can ride all day on the 790 and not have a sore backside. @YoungLion has a lot of km with the stock seat before going +20 ergo, he seemed to like it so hopefully he's got some feedback.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So thought I would review my experience.

I bought the ergo seat standard hight from a UK company and they sent me the +20mm seat by mistake. I took the opportunity to try it out before I returned it.

Initially the +20 seat felt a good bit comfier than the standard seat and it was clear to see the extra height and padding in it. However it totally changed the riding position for me and I just couldn't get used to it. Felt more tilted forward and more pressure on the wrists. (I'm 5'8 and just shy of 13 stone)Once that was gone and my standard height seat arrived I went for a 4+ hour ride and honestly I am not really that impressed.

The standard height ergo seat does look way better in my opinion, and the riding position remains the same... however I was expecting more comfort and its barely any different to the stock seat. I still had a sore butt at the end of the ride, just maybe not as sore.

Maybe I got a dud but I think im going to wait for another company to come up with something better and send this back.

Any suggestions welcome if someone has tried something else. Seen a few on the web but mostly American companies

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi

Got the ergo +20mm seat & ergo pillion seat.
Finding it really comfortable.
You didn’t mention whether or not you tried changing the handlebar position to suit the extra height.
Personally I didn’t need to , but it may solve your problem ( if you havnt tried it ).

·
Registered
31 Posts
this is my experience with a different bike, my old one, a 690 Duke R.
I had a sore butt with the standard seat, so I went with the ergo one, same height.
I still had a sore butt after the change, but it was better.
The issue, for me, was the riding position. With the 690R all the weight is on the butt, because of the riding position, you are upright/straight, all your weight is on the butt, and almost nothing on the wrist.

With the 790/890 the weight is a little more on the wrists and less on the butt, which is nice, for me :)
In fact I I haven't had yet the desire to change the standard seat.
I instead moved the bar on the other holes on the clamp, so my riding position is a little bit more forward, but still totally manageable, with more weight on the wrists.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like a result.
Love KTM , but have had to buy ergo seats for my last 3 KTM s as standard seats are shocking !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah maybe in hindsight I should of kept the +20mm and tried to get used to it for the comfort. It probably would of broke in a little. But it really did feel like night and day differenxe when riding andI had got so used to the standard seat and position it just felt weird.

I'm just going to return it and get something else... or maybe sell it on here if anyones interest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts