KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions which are loosely connected if anyone would care to comment on their experience please! I don't have an issue, just wanting to get a bit of perspective.

1. How many bars does your temperature gauge normally display on normal road riding? Mine shows 3 on the open road and 4 in heavy traffic or town which seems fine. Ambient air temperature is in the mid-20's C at present where I'm riding.

2. Has anyone noticed whether a radiator guard causes their motor to run any hotter? The only reason I ask is that the brand I had on my Blackbird definitely made the fans come on earlier but I noticed no difference on my Street Triple. Didn't have one on my GSX-S 1000. Haven't got one on the 790 at present, but do have a front guard extension.

·
Registered
435 Posts
General running with the radiator guard on is 3 bars, city traffic 4 bars then sometimes the fans kick in, prob went its climbing in temp in the over 4 bar range but not 5 bar. Theres a good make from China, good 1mm thick aloy, sits off the radiator and lets plenty of air circulate.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
General running with the radiator guard on is 3 bars, city traffic 4 bars then sometimes the fans kick in, prob went its climbing in temp in the over 4 bar range but not 5 bar. Theres a good make from China, good 1mm thick aloy, sits off the radiator and lets plenty of air circulate.
Thanks for that Dave - eBay for the guard, approx NZ$70? Have seen them and wondered what they are like. Incidentally, what oil are you using? Mine is Motorex 10W-60 full synthetic. Expensive stuff but just like tyres, I've never worried about cost of key components. In my past few bikes, I've always used Motul 5100 semi-synthetic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Haven’t seen more than 4 bars through summer in Sydney - even in heavy traffic. Never below 3 after warming up. That fan pushes out a lot of heat though.

Tom in Sydney

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven’t seen more than 4 bars through summer in Sydney - even in heavy traffic. Never below 3 after warming up. That fan pushes out a lot of heat though.

Tom in Sydney
Thanks Tom,
That pretty much confirms that 3-4bars is standard irrespective of ambient air temperature. Got to agree with you about the fan pushing out real heat though!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks for that Dave - eBay for the guard, approx NZ$70? Have seen them and wondered what they are like. Incidentally, what oil are you using? Mine is Motorex 10W-60 full synthetic. Expensive stuff but just like tyres, I've never worried about cost of key components. In my past few bikes, I've always used Motul 5100 semi-synthetic.
I did an oil and filter change after the track day and put in 10W50 Motorex, Multistrada its 10W50 5100, and the 1290GT its 10W60 (red Motul) forget its grade name but its fully Synthetic. Im taking the GT up to Boyds on Wednesday for its 30K service. My guard i git off Ebay wes $72 delivered, its the one that comes with little orange stickers to fit in the side panels (but they don't stick, through away) its a very good quality and fit Rad guard, 1mm aloy.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did an oil and filter change after the track day and put in 10W50 Motorex, Multistrada its 10W50 5100, and the 1290GT its 10W60 (red Motul) forget its grade name but its fully Synthetic. Im taking the GT up to Boyds on Wednesday for its 30K service. My guard i git off Ebay wes $72 delivered, its the one that comes with little orange stickers to fit in the side panels (but they don't stick, through away) its a very good quality and fit Rad guard, 1mm aloy.
I'm not as far away as you but David who runs the workshop always goes out of his way to make sure they start on the bike as soon as I arrive as it's a 320 km round trip.

Thanks for the heads up about the rad guard. Have found one that sounds the same and ordered it this afternoon. Cheers!

·
Super-Member
600 Posts
3 bars when riding and 4 bars sitting. I have only gone over 4 bars once.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Power Bronze Rad Grille

I've installed the Power Bronze Rad Guard and both before and after I get 3 Bars normally and then 4 if it's a hot day or stuck in traffic - at which point the fan kicks in and then goes off after reducing down to 3 Bars again.
Hope that helps generally.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In Australia there is a KTM program (possibly world wide) to replace the thermostat at service time, dealer was unable to explain why, new item is a 75C thermostat (opens at 75C) but I don't know the opening temp of the original thermostat. Most people have probably had it done but havent been told by their dealer.
The air box lid is also replaced, again don't know why as OEM seems fine to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Two questions which are loosely connected if anyone would care to comment on their experience please! I don't have an issue, just wanting to get a bit of perspective.

1. How many bars does your temperature gauge normally display on normal road riding? Mine shows 3 on the open road and 4 in heavy traffic or town which seems fine. Ambient air temperature is in the mid-20's C at present where I'm riding.

2. Has anyone noticed whether a radiator guard causes their motor to run any hotter? The only reason I ask is that the brand I had on my Blackbird definitely made the fans come on earlier but I noticed no difference on my Street Triple. Didn't have one on my GSX-S 1000. Haven't got one on the 790 at present, but do have a front guard extension.
I am from India, and its usually Hot here. Considering that here is my observation.

Normal Traffic -> 4 bars
Highways -> 3-4 bars
Heavy Traffic -> Can go upto 7 bars

This is not a bike meant to be ridden during peak hours, at least not where i live.

Reactions: Geoff

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I will be keeping a close eye on my temps here in the Valley of the Sun and report my observations.

Once I get her broken in (and the quarantine is over), I plan on riding her daily on my (minimum 80 mile round trip) commute.

The temp bar graph has been fine so far, but I wish they had the option to see the actual temp. Like how you can go in to the bikes menu and see the actual battery voltage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts