KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, was giving the bike a good clean (as I normally do) and noticed this engine rust starting to bubble. I'm generally a fair weather biker and have kept the bike off the road through the winter. It's only 11 months old and still under warranty. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
438 Posts
You’re not the first person to have noticed this, good luck getting any joy out of KTM.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did do a search but had no joy. Is this really common? I'm actually a bit shocked to be honest.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine did it a bit, left hand sump and barely been through a puddle. It's the KTM patina, much desired...😀

·
Registered
338 Posts
Common on BMW bikes in the UK too and usually found in newer models. One of the theories is the paint that must be used due to Euro regulations offers less protection than in previous years.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wonder if the warranty covers you for any corrosion. It's been know for cars but not sure about bikes

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not like I let the thing sit in a salty bath for the last 11 months. Never even seen a salty road! They can blame me all they want but the rest of the bike is immaculate and hardly done any miles. So it speaks for itself. I have to say with all the problems I've had since day one this may be the icing on the cake. Between leaking oil, coolant and brake fluid, randomly stalling/cutting out, settings resetting and now rust forming on the engine. I'm about ready to hand it back.

·
a d m i n .
151,032 Posts
Its not like I let the thing sit in a salty bath for the last 11 months. Never even seen a salty road! They can blame me all they want but the rest of the bike is immaculate and hardly done any miles. So it speaks for itself. I have to say with all the problems I've had since day one this may be the icing on the cake. Between leaking oil, coolant and brake fluid, randomly stalling/cutting out, settings resetting and now rust forming on the engine. I'm about ready to hand it back.
Nooo, those are all the things that give it a soul.. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Common on BMW bikes in the UK too and usually found in newer models. One of the theories is the paint that must be used due to Euro regulations offers less protection than in previous years.
BMW, as you know, are quick to replace engines when this occurs. I'll be interested to see how and how quickly KTM respond.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't these cases aluminum? I would guess if anything it is just paint bubbling off of the cases?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, was giving the bike a good clean (as I normally do) and noticed this engine rust starting to bubble. I'm generally a fair weather biker and have kept the bike off the road through the winter. It's only 11 months old and still under warranty. Anyone else experiencing this?

View attachment 6932
Same thing happened to mine. KTM replaced all the cases and other parts but it was a fight.
A friend of mine has had the same issue and KTM have blamed him for not looking after it properly and tha with England being an island the salty air is to blame. Which is total crap.
KTM have made a great bike and ruined it with sub standard build quality.
The after sales service from KTM is a joke.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Same thing happened to mine. KTM replaced all the cases and other parts but it was a fight.
A friend of mine has had the same issue and KTM have blamed him for not looking after it properly and tha with England being an island the salty air is to blame. Which is total crap.
KTM have made a great bike and ruined it with sub standard build quality.
The after sales service from KTM is a joke.
I have to say I've had quite good after sales service when it comes to warranty. Very little effort to get KTM to replace major components of the bike.

Thinking it might be a regional/country thing?

·
Registered
338 Posts
BMW, as you know, are quick to replace engines when this occurs. I'll be interested to see how and how quickly KTM respond.
Yep, 100% and lots of posts in the UK based BMW forums about corrosion. I lived two streets away from the beach and never had an issue with my bikes though.

·
Super-Member
609 Posts
I've seen that happen, not on mine (luckily) but usually a bad prep for paint job. If KTM fixes it, that would be awesome, but I would definitely start that conversation and arguement asap. Being it is so new, hopefully they will do something about it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quick update. Took the bike to dealers and letthr warranty guy photograph the bike and the rust. He agreed is was very strange considering It's only 11 months old and was not ridden through the winter etc. And that the rest of the bike was immaculate.

Glad to hear there has been cases of KTM actually doing something about it on occasion.

An off-tack question. Do you use a Jetwash?
No just a hose to soak everything once its cooled down, some form of spray on cleaner then a wipe and rinse off with the hose again. Once dry usually a coating off xcp clear coat or something similar. Wd40 if I'm feeling tight haha.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts