KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK this one has been playing on my mind a bit.

Dilemma 1 - Engine mount or frame mount.? ----- I prefer (trust) Frame more I think. Seen too many knackered engine castings where threads or bits have "popped"

Dilemma 2 - Steel Bars or pug slider doodad thingies.? ----- I prefer (trust) Bars more I think. This maybe entirely irrational.

Dilemma 3 - What's there and do I like it?

Apart from Chines copies - which (so far) I've discounted because they generally seem to be thinner tube - I've come across

1) R&G - I like it - but I can see something lower front engine that looks wrong - can't explain it.

2) Givi - Major price advantage - The aesthetics are a bit odd.

3) SW-Motech - Simply looks incomplete - no lower engine protection.

4) Hepco and Becker. - Both tube and slider! - weird rear fitting?

Any others out there? - I'm new to KTM parts hunting. Of the above 4 I am more inclined to H&B or Givi. But I am open to all advice here.

This is the last piece of my "MUST HAVE" puzzle.

·
Registered
98 Posts
H&B I have the luggage carrier that replaces the pillion seat.
It's very heavy, I dare to call it bulky. Hopefully is sturdy too: I would expect the crash bars to share the same approach.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is a good question @barbagris - I have much the same thoughts.

EvoTech make good looking frame mounted crash bobbins that look like the will protect the top half of the bike:
https://evotech-performance.com/collections/all/products/ep-ktm-790-duke-crash-bobbins-2018

These have a bar that goes through the space above / in front of the top of the engine to connect both sides for more rigidity - they connect to two frame mounts on each side of the bike.

Barracuda (and others) make a much simpler (and considerably cheaper) version that's just a single bolt into the frame each side with a bung on each end:
https://www.barracudamoto.co.uk/motorbike/ktm/duke-790/crash-bungs-ktm-duke-790-2018.html

But like you say you need to protect the engine casings lower down too.

I added the KTM PP engine case covers - the small orange things that cover the clutch / stator areas - they aren't massive but they would be the point of contact if the bike went over.

There are others that might give a bit more protection down there like the ones from SW-Motech.

I've left the rear foot peg hangers on my bike as they would be the point of contact at the rear, along with axle bobbins at both ends.

Like you I haven't decided on a frame mounted option yet.

I like the simplicity of the EvoTech ones as they match the minimal look of the bike.

But I've had bars on other bikes before and they are reassuring to have, probably give more protection, probably are more forgiving to the bike in a crash - plus they are handy for mounting things - lights / cameras and such.

I just worry that large bars would look out of place on such a svelte bike like the Duke!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a good question @barbagris - I have much the same thoughts.

I've left the rear foot peg hangers on my bike as they would be the point of contact at the rear, along with axle bobbins at both ends.
Have you fitted the PP sliders in the rear footpegs.?

Install guide https://www.ktm.com/globalassets/products-pim-data/ke2-ktmwspp/protection/chassis-street/slide-pad-kit/61303946044/dok_pp_bed.pdf

I was going to go single seat and pegs - but I am rethinking a bit

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
242 Posts
You forgot woodcraft, I wouldn’t trust my bike protection to any other brand. They are very well known and trusted in the USA. You can find them at most trackdays and races ready with replacements too. The best part is they build their stuff to be functional. A good example is the quick release sliders for easy replacement and the fact they built a slider for the water pump since that is what would make contact and not the right engine case.

https://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/

My whole bike is kitted with their stuff and I plan to use their rearsets too.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just worry that large bars would look out of place on such a svelte bike like the Duke!
Me too - but .....................

I feel less hampered now too as my local KTM dealer gave me an across the board 15% discount on the PP stuff I collected today. :grin:

·
Registered
307 Posts
You forgot woodcraft, I wouldn’t trust my bike protection to any other brand. They are very well known and trusted in the USA. You can find them at most trackdays and races ready with replacements too. The best part is they build their stuff to be functional. A good example is the quick release sliders for easy replacement and the fact they built a slider for the water pump since that is what would make contact and not the right engine case.

+1 - just ordered a set of frame and rear swingarm sliders from them.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Good to know - but buying outside the EU is a non-starter for me. BREXIT could turn out to be a PITA for some of us.

Shipping and import taxes hike the prices to beyond silly. Finding parts almost certainly will be a hassle too.

R&G do a pump slider

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice one - do let us know if they fit ok @barbagris.

I didn't see the 790 listed as compatible when I checked, though I could have missed it. Pegs are pegs - a foot rest on a bar pivot and they mount on the bar pivot.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Nice one - do let us know if they fit ok @barbagris .

imo they are a very tidy solution - And cheap. Fitting them requires a little patience - parallel pin punch and small hammer to back the peg pins out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts