KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls, firstly a big hello from the UK, new to the forum and I bring bad news!

Picked up my 790 just over 2 weeks ago and due to the weather of late hardly rode it other than a few short outings. As the weather was better this Saturday I went for a ride of approx 50 miles, A & B roads and a short stretch of Motorway.

I was a good boy and kept the revs down and arrived and all was good. Started my return home some 2 hours later and noticed when I pulled up at a junction a "Low Oil Pressure" warning and light. As soon as I raised the revs from idle it went away, faulty sensor thought I and took a gentle ride home keeping the revs over 2K.

Let the bike cool and while inspecting it noticed a small amount of clean oil along the left hand side lower crankcase area, output shaft faulty? Whipped the sprocket cover off and found it full of grease, I can only assume from the chain, as it was thick and gungy, anyway cleaned that off and once the bike had completely cooled started her up and no low oil pressure light. No further sign of oil so not sure where that had come from?

Took her out and within about 10 mins the light came back on and this time it wasn't clearing until over about 3K revs. Managed to get home (big long hill so thankfully rolled a good distance), shoved it in the garage and decided a beer would calm me - soon forgot all about my worries until Sunday morning!

Had a look at the bike and noticed a coolant drip on the floor, traced this back and it was leaking from the right hand Pre-Cat O2 sensor in the exhaust downpipe, not a lot but enough to tell me that the Head gasket has at least blown and I hate to think what else. Started it up and the oil pressure was OK for about 30 secs then Low Oil Pressure warning again :sad:

Bike has been recovered to my local supplying KTM dealer today and am awaiting a phone call:crying:

I'll wait and see what their stance is, but given the bike only has 320 miles on it I am not wanting a rebuilt engine at this stage of the game. I'd expect at the very least a complete lump and would imagine KTM would want the old one to find out what has gone so wrong in just 300 miles!

Please feel free to chip in and give me your thoughts

Thanks, Mike

·
a d m i n .
151,023 Posts
Welcome to 790DukeForum Mike!

That's crazy, and prolly super-frustrating to get a brand new bike and have an engine failure. I'd be pretty irritated as well. On the bright side, as you mentioned, hopefully KTM wants the engine to analyze and installs a new mill, and compensates you some. Keep us informed, hombre.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the bike back finally last Thursday, after conversations with my dealer and KTM UK I was told that the low oil pressure message was due to a leaking oil pressure switch, this was ordered and then road tested and they then discovered a coolant leak (like I told them) from the top rad hose.

This was on a 2 week lead time, hence the lengthy wait... Raised a concern with KTM UK that I was concerned that top end damage could have been caused by the low pressure so the dealer pulled the cam box and checked everything was ok, which apparently it was.

Got to say I'm not buying the faulty switch story as looking at the service manual the oil pressure at normal engine speeds is such that if the switch was leaking enough to flag an error I would have expected to see plenty of oil over the top end (and probably my leg). They dismissed this and said it's fixed, take it away and see how it goes!

Clocked up 550 miles now and all seems fine so I guess it's a case of time will tell!

·
Super-Member
595 Posts
Got the bike back finally last Thursday, after conversations with my dealer and KTM UK I was told that the low oil pressure message was due to a leaking oil pressure switch, this was ordered and then road tested and they then discovered a coolant leak (like I told them) from the top rad hose.

This was on a 2 week lead time, hence the lengthy wait... Raised a concern with KTM UK that I was concerned that top end damage could have been caused by the low pressure so the dealer pulled the cam box and checked everything was ok, which apparently it was.

Got to say I'm not buying the faulty switch story as looking at the service manual the oil pressure at normal engine speeds is such that if the switch was leaking enough to flag an error I would have expected to see plenty of oil over the top end (and probably my leg). They dismissed this and said it's fixed, take it away and see how it goes!

Clocked up 550 miles now and all seems fine so I guess it's a case of time will tell!
Hopefully time tells the right hour later!! Glad it's "fixed." I'd be absolutely pissed if this happened to me, not to mention wary about riding! I'd place a call to the dealer first sign of anything!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts