KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

Engine failure

16K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Pgm 
#1 ·
Hi, I have the following problem, maybe some of you can shed some light on it Or experienced the same. My Duke is now at the dealer trying to locate the problem. A couple of months ago the engine started to make a ratling mechanical sound. The dealer said this is normal for the 790, at least it is known that more 790 engines have the same sound. Last week at the Zandvoort track (Duke is 2 years and 4 days old with 8400 km) in my second lap I heard a “poof“ sound and the engine went dead. The engine rotates when the starter button is applied but won’t start. Computer read out at the dealer indicates no electronic issue. They measured the under-pressure in the bottom part of the engine (not sure if this is the correct phrase for it) it read 8.4 and this Should be 11 they said, so something is leaking (loosing pressure)? Anyone knows what that means? Beside the usual sweating of a bit of oil and coolant (levels were never low) I had no issues at all. I’ll post an update when I have more information, if you have encountered the same then please share, thanks.

#2 ·
I’m not sure I it is right but I know that some 790 have timing chain tensioner issue, that could explain the rattling sound ? And the poof could be the tensioner that broke and/or the chain to jump a few teeth?
4 days after the 2 years warranty !!
Are they going to fix it for free ?

keep us informed and good luck

#9 ·
Hi all,
I was at the dealer today, they showed me the damage. Beside the broken parts a lot of metal from the broken spring, camshaft etc. went into the engine. So we had a good talk and a cup of coffee resulting in a fair deal with me being the owner of a new 2020 790 Duke in black. I‘ll pick it up next Friday. Lesson learned: a rattling 790 engine is something not to ignore.

#10 ·
Wow lucky you, you said your bike was 2 years and 4 days old which means it was out of warranty and you still got a brand new bike, really happy for you :) . But than again you mentioned to the dealer about the problems few month earlier and they ignored it.
Are you getting 2 years warranty on the new bike as well ? If so make sure you take it to the track as soon as possible to make sure you dont get any problems later on :D
Enjoy your new bike :D

#11 ·
Wow lucky you, you said your bike was 2 years and 4 days old which means it was out of warranty and you still got a brand new bike, really happy for you :) . But than again you mentioned to the dealer about the problems few month earlier and they ignored it.
Are you getting 2 years warranty on the new bike as well ? If so make sure you take it to the track as soon as possible to make sure you dont get any problems later on :D
Enjoy your new bike :D
I’m sure if he’s getting a new bike he’s getting the warranty to go with The VIN.

Congratulations indeed!

#12 ·
I didn‘t get it for free but made a good deal in trading in my old broken Duke for the new one. KTM did however stated that they would repair the old Duke under guarantee. Yes I’m going to the Dutch TT circuit end of August, before that I must have the first 1000 km and service done. Bad job but someone have to do it 😁.

#13 ·
Had a similar thing happen on an old Kawi Z1-R engine, when the timing chain skipped teeth. In my case, valves were bent...

Engine turns but will not start and compression is low.

Glad to hear it is sorted out.

#32 ·
Today, i finally ended my nightmare ownership of 790 Duke. I sold it after 2 engine replacements and right after selling it i decided to calculate my actual days with it and this crazy statistics has blown my mind; I bought the bike 409 days ago and the first engine replacement took 102 days, the second one took 169 days. Which means i've only got to see my bike for 138 days during this period. It's just mind boggling, i'm sorry i only write about the problems i had but i really want other readers to realize potential down sides of having a KTM and avoid them if possible by any means.

I wish all the riders safety and problem free ownership experiences in the future. This is the end of my KTM journey and hopefully the next one would be flawless, otherwise i may consider calling it quits. : )

Lastly, i would love to hear from the riders who have experienced Panigale V2 in long term, i have just did a test ride and wow, i'm speechless. Nothing like any other race bike i've tried before. Weirdly, quite comfortable yet sporty. Unbelievable machinery! 😁

#33 ·
Today, i finally ended my nightmare ownership of 790 Duke. I sold it after 2 engine replacements and right after selling it i decided to calculate my actual days with it and this crazy statistics has blown my mind; I bought the bike 409 days ago and the first engine replacement took 102 days, the second one took 169 days. Which means i've only got to see my bike for 138 days during this period. It's just mind boggling, i'm sorry i only write about the problems i had but i really want other readers to realize potential down sides of having a KTM and avoid them if possible by any means.

I wish all the riders safety and problem free ownership experiences in the future. This is the end of my KTM journey and hopefully the next one would be flawless, otherwise i may consider calling it quits. : )

Lastly, i would love to hear from the riders who have experienced Panigale V2 in long term, i have just did a test ride and wow, i'm speechless. Nothing like any other race bike i've tried before. Weirdly, quite comfortable yet sporty. Unbelievable machinery! 😁
Completely understand your feelings it’s a shame as they really are a good bike if you get a good one.
ive had 2 with no issues (fingers crossed)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.