KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have the following problem, maybe some of you can shed some light on it Or experienced the same. My Duke is now at the dealer trying to locate the problem. A couple of months ago the engine started to make a ratling mechanical sound. The dealer said this is normal for the 790, at least it is known that more 790 engines have the same sound. Last week at the Zandvoort track (Duke is 2 years and 4 days old with 8400 km) in my second lap I heard a “poof“ sound and the engine went dead. The engine rotates when the starter button is applied but won’t start. Computer read out at the dealer indicates no electronic issue. They measured the under-pressure in the bottom part of the engine (not sure if this is the correct phrase for it) it read 8.4 and this Should be 11 they said, so something is leaking (loosing pressure)? Anyone knows what that means? Beside the usual sweating of a bit of oil and coolant (levels were never low) I had no issues at all. I’ll post an update when I have more information, if you have encountered the same then please share, thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I’m not sure I it is right but I know that some 790 have timing chain tensioner issue, that could explain the rattling sound ? And the poof could be the tensioner that broke and/or the chain to jump a few teeth?
4 days after the 2 years warranty !!
Are they going to fix it for free ?

keep us informed and good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not sure I it is right but I know that some 790 have timing chain tensioner issue, that could explain the rattling sound ? And the poof could be the tensioner that broke and/or the chain to jump a few teeth?
4 days after the 2 years warranty !!
Are they going to fix it for free ?

keep us informed and good luck
Thanks for your reply, I’ll pass it on keep you informed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Received a call from the dealer today. Cylinder compression is also too low, bad news I’m afraid. They are going to examine further and contact KTM. I’ve postponed my next track sessions. I’ll keep you posted about the progress.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts