KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my first issue was the coolant leak. Sorted that out at home.

Next came the immobiliser failure. Was stranded 200 miles from home. Dealer replaced the key barrel.

Since then, there has been an intermittent fault where the engine just cuts out when I pull the clutch in to change down as approaching a junction. Dealer couldn’t make it happen and even (get this) suggested my husband should try riding it to see if it’s something I’m doing wrong!!! Wondered if anyone else has had issues since the immobiliser failure has been fixed? Or whether this might not be related to that fix. The problem is, it’s rare. It happened only four times in a weekend doing 650 miles. Which makes it pretty hard for the dealer to find and fix. But it’s still dangerous when it cuts out.

·
A d m i n .
151,126 Posts
Most people here, (as well as posts I read on facebook pages), suggest they replaced the ignition system, and then some. Check out some other the other ImmobFail posts in this section, sounds like an epidemic, KTM..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it’s no longer an immobiliser failure, as they fixed that by replacing the entire key barrel. This is just a stalling issue since that fix.

·
A d m i n .
151,126 Posts
Yeah it’s no longer an immobiliser failure, as they fixed that by replacing the entire key barrel. This is just a stalling issue since that fix.
Ah, ok. Hopefully they will be able to duplicate the issue in the future. Effin horrible that you were broken down so far from home.:surprise:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Does it just happen randomly ? Mine did it once but I put that down to not being warmed up properly as it happened early in my ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes completely randomly and very rarely. But always on a roundabout or a busy junction. Last couple of times I’ve managed to start it on the button and keep moving. I’ll update if they manage to find anything. They’ve already replaced the clutch switch as they thought it might be that. It wasn’t!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes completely randomly and very rarely. But always on a roundabout or a busy junction.
This is quite a common complaint, one which I had sporadically for a while, although not recently. It happens when you get on the gas - I realized I had a habit of blipping the throttle quickly before pulling away from a standstill, and that quick blip caused it to cut out. I tried to get out of the blipping habit, and it hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It happened to me twice since I serviced my bike at the dealer. They actually told me it was common on the bikes when they first set them up. I still have to figure out why it happens. I know that it happened to me between 2nd and third gear and always slowing down to an intersection. I use the quickshifter too.

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
This is a response a dealer got from ktm when sent some footage of it happening

I have been speaking with my KTM tech on this video. Your bike has got an automatic idle control and the only way that this is could be happening is by not using the engine braking and rolling along with the clutch in.
I wasn't rolling with clutch in, but I was slipping it which may have been causing the problem. Since the firmware update and being more aware of it, it hasn't happened for some time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it’s when the clutch is in, definitely not when I’m getting on the gas. I do use engine braking and the dealer asked if I was coasting up to junctions with the clutch in. I’m not, but perhaps I’m dipping the clutch too early. It actually hasn’t done it at all in the last two rides I’ve done, of about 150 miles each. Dealer said they’ll change the side stand switch next and check all the connections in the new barrel they fitted. I’m hoping it’s just resolved itself!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update after visit to the dealer... they communicated with KTM and made a few tweaks they suggested. There were a couple of small faults but nothing that would’ve caused the cutting out. All connections checked. It just seems to have stopped happening on its own. A little frustrating but if it continues not to do it then I’m happy!

Now I shall just get in with enjoying the best bike I’ve ever had!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

Its happened to me 4-5 times over the last 10 days of ownership. My bike is brand new and has 250 miles to date.

very interested to know what the tweaks and alterations were in full to remedy your situation?

thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Happened to me today. I was rolling along. The bike began jerking and stumbling.
Pretty soon it simply quit. Turned over but no start. After sitting for half hour it started but I still towed it to the dealer. Hopeful they’ll find the problem with faults in the computer system.

Let the bike sit half hour started right up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
No the immobilized has not been replaced.
This episode is the first issue I’ve had with the bike.

My question is- specifically what is the immobilizer and what does it do?
I’m familiar with the word and term but not certain in connection with the bike.

Also does the bike throw any codes when this occurs so the dealers can diagnose and determine what happened? Without codes it’s a shot in the dark. I sure as **** don’t look forward to being stranded somewhere. My rides are usually well out there of cellular service range. Not thrilling to think that it’s random and we need to worry about it recurring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No the immobilized has not been replaced.
This episode is the first issue I’ve had with the bike.

My question is- specifically what is the immobilizer and what does it do?
I’m familiar with the word and term but not certain in connection with the bike.

Also does the bike throw any codes when this occurs so the dealers can diagnose and determine what happened? Without codes it’s a shot in the dark. I sure as **** don’t look forward to being stranded somewhere. My rides are usually well out there of cellular service range. Not thrilling to think that it’s random and we need to worry about it recurring.
The immobilizer is for security, the bike wont start without the key being in range. There is usually a chip in the key that communicates with the bike when starting, and if the key is not near by, i.e. in the lock than the ecu wont allow the bike to start or cutting out in your case.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks. I figured as much. However unlike 1290 the 790 key doesn’t appear to have any chip. Perhaps I’m wrong but I don’t see any signs of s chip in the key.

The issue happened again this morning. It’s at the dealer now. Hopefully it’ll show a code though it’s a phantom issue like so much with electronics these days.

·
Registered
140 Posts
here in Australia i believe the immobilizer is an option and doesn't come as standard.

Stephano, have you checked the battery voltage? if it has been sitting in the showroom for a while the battery might be low.

I found mine was very low when it got delivered.

My old bike is a v-strom and i noticed at low revs or idling it is not charging the battery.

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
from another thread

Spent some time looking into this the other day, found this spec sheet

https://www.ktmshop.se/documents/F9603R5_EN.pdf

Page 32 lists

64111021000 IMMOBILIZER

It will likely be the stock standard factory immobiliser, like LC8 says for the advanced features like twin circuit etc you'll need the alarm system.

When it comes to security the less information available about it on the internet the better as there's less for criminals to use.

If for insurance purposes, just specify factory fitted immobiliser.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts