KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

Eliminate throttle slop for free!

24K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  Onf1re 
#1 ·
Got this idea from the Ducati guys. The ride-by-wire throttle on our bikes are built with a bunch of play from the factory and can make off-on throttle transitions jumpy and a bit awkward. This mod simply takes up the slack between the grip and the control unit on the handlebar.

First remove your bar-end and then remove the two screws on the bottom of the control unit. Luckily for us, we don't even need a security bit to do this mod like the Ducati guys do.

Auto part Windshield Automotive window part

Remove the top of the control unit and you'll be able to slide the grip straight off.

Vehicle Bicycle part Auto part Tire Wheel

Auto part Tire Vehicle Bicycle part Suspension

Now find yourself something to use as spacers approximately 1mm in thickness. I used the plastic off this wire tap I had laying around.

Trigger Finger Revolver Hand Magenta

Technology Electronic device Hand Electronics Measuring instrument

Cut the spacers to fit on the grip like this and use some super glue to secure them in place. Test fit the grip on the control unit and (if needed) file the spacers down so it fits snug. If you prefer a little play, you can file this to your liking. I have mine set with no play at all.

Product Bearing Circle

Re-assemble everything and test it out. Bike should idle just like it did before and the grip should turn smoothly throughout its range of motion. Enjoy a less sloppy ride!

Cheers!

See less See more
#9 ·
I just never liked that dead spot in the throttle from off to on and since riding the bike a few hundred miles now with the spacers in, I can say I'm much happier with the action now. I tend to run my throttle-by-cable bikes with very little play so maybe I'm just used to it that way.

#15 ·
Got this idea from the Ducati guys. The ride-by-wire throttle on our bikes are built with a bunch of play from the factory and can make off-on throttle transitions jumpy and a bit awkward. This mod simply takes up the slack between the grip and the control unit on the handlebar.

First remove your bar-end and then remove the two screws on the bottom of the control unit. Luckily for us, we don't even need a security bit to do this mod like the Ducati guys do.

View attachment 1828

Remove the top of the control unit and you'll be able to slide the grip straight off.

View attachment 1830
View attachment 1832

Now find yourself something to use as spacers approximately 1mm in thickness. I used the plastic off this wire tap I had laying around.

View attachment 1836
View attachment 1838

Cut the spacers to fit on the grip like this and use some super glue to secure them in place. Test fit the grip on the control unit and (if needed) file the spacers down so it fits snug. If you prefer a little play, you can file this to your liking. I have mine set with no play at all.

View attachment 1834

Re-assemble everything and test it out. Bike should idle just like it did before and the grip should turn smoothly throughout its range of motion. Enjoy a less sloppy ride!

Cheers!
Great post! I haven't collected the bike, but similarly I usually run pretty little free play on the throttle. Will definitely be doing this!

#21 ·
Was aiming to do this little mod today, had my plastic bits all cut to size, and superglue at the ready! Then tried to get the two screws out holding the twist grip onto the bars, and damn it, one of them just would not budge. I'm surprised, because I had them undone to fit my heated grips a few months ago, but not a chance this time. And in the process of trying, I've chewed the damn screw head now, so there's no chance of removing it without hacksawing a groove and trying to use a flat blade screwdriver, or some other similar surgery. With so little space to move around those screws, that's not something I'm going try myself - probably end up buggering something else up! Why the hell they use a Philips head screw for that job, and not a bolt, is beyond me. Kinda pissed off, there's definite slack in the throttle, and I was looking forward to eliminating it.

#22 ·
Thanks for the write up. I HATE the slop. I have a Booster Plug and I believe that it has helped the surging, but the throttle slop makes the bike hard to ride when going from no throttle to some throttle - it is not lean surging that I'm talking about. Even on cable throttle bike, I always adjust almost all the free play out. I will do your mod this weekend. Did I mention how much I HATE throttle slop? Thanks for the post!

#24 ·

View attachment 1828

View attachment 1830
View attachment 1832

View attachment 1836
View attachment 1838

View attachment 1834

Cheers!
Cheers for this info, will be doing this as soon as possible!

#25 ·

View attachment 1828

View attachment 1830
View attachment 1832

View attachment 1836
View attachment 1838

View attachment 1834

Cheers!
ive done the mod today, though with a white cable tie, the width of the tie was the exact size for the depth of the throttle stop, then cut tie to the exact size, superglued in place, then it fitted like a dream , no slack at all, waiting for the weather to clear up before i test it out, lets hope it stops the snatchy/surging ride below 3000 rpm!

#26 ·
Went for a ride out today, first time had warmer weather sunshine the mod seems to have worked much better at lower revs, must be due to no freeplay on throttle, it ride lovely in street mode, quickshifter a lot smoother also..
On my return trip home it hammered down rain and Hale, stuck it in rain mode as you would be a have Maddo riding in any other mode the roads were flooding and visibility was very poor, got home soaked to the skin but with a big smile on my mush, thanks Duke xx

#28 ·

View attachment 1828

View attachment 1830
View attachment 1832

View attachment 1836
View attachment 1838

View attachment 1834

Cheers!

#35 ·

View attachment 1828

View attachment 1830
View attachment 1832

View attachment 1836
View attachment 1838

View attachment 1834

Cheers!
The ideal plastic to make these spacers are your old plastic bank card just cut to size with scissors and just sand down if too thick ,just depends how much wear you have

#36 ·

View attachment 1828

View attachment 1830
View attachment 1832

View attachment 1836
View attachment 1838

View attachment 1834

Cheers!
2003 model throttle assembly fixings are not the same looks like a security fitment tool is required?
Carbon Auto part Engineering Bicycle part Camera accessory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.