KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Trying to get a cleaner look and remove the seat hand grips surrounding the seat. Problem is the bolts are now too long,
Anyone solved that somehow?
Thanks
Sam

·
Registered
271 Posts
The 890 does not have the bolts in the tool bag. I took off the hand grip. What’s with the torx bolts everywhere? These galvanized torx bolts look cheap. The one torx head started to strip out a bit. I had to be very careful removing the bolts. I’ll replace with stainless hex cap bolts, unless I can find the torx heads.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
272 Posts
To each his own but I really like the tail hand grip. I use it when pushing the bike around in the garage.

Also it's a great hand hold when dropping the bike off the paddock stand.

It also provides a strap attachment point when I take my duffel bag on a trip.

Folks often ask my why guys own a jet...my reply is "Cuz they can." Guess this same logic applies to removing unwanted pieces on the bike.

·
Registered
271 Posts
To each his own but I really like the tail hand grip. I use it when pushing the bike around in the garage.

Also it's a great hand hold when dropping the bike off the paddock stand.

It also provides a strap attachment point when I take my duffel bag on a trip.

Folks often ask my why guys own a jet...my reply is "Cuz they can." Guess this same logic applies to removing unwanted pieces on the bike.
Yes. I like the cleaner look. I’m still debating about the passenger foot pegs. The bike would have a much more streamlined look without them. But I would lose the slide protection they have.

Allmost all the pictures on the bike are missing the hand grip and passenger pegs. I did not know it came with them till I got on this forum.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
272 Posts
I’m still debating about the passenger foot pegs. The bike would have a much more streamlined look without them. But I would lose the slide protection they have.
I was thinking about removing my rear pegs. Then I started looking at the protection they would provide if the bike went down and decided to keep them.

Plus they also provide a great place to secure a luggage strap.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If not doing 2 up dump the rear pegs and handrail. Rear pegs are more likely to cause subframe the bend than offer any protection.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If not doing 2 up dump the rear pegs and handrail. Rear pegs are more likely to cause subframe the bend than offer any protection.
I’m more likely to drop it in my driveway or during slow parking lot maneuver. I think. On the right side they will protect the pipe. On the left side the subframe. I have not dropped a bike riding slow in over 20 years. The last crash was having the front end wash out on a some slime covered driveway entrance.
Sometimes it’s better to just say f... it let the chips fall where they fall. :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
imo - If you're going to ride with the hump and never have luggage - Grab rail off. With rear seat on I see no reason to remove it - unless it's to fit a luggage rack.

The footrest hangers - Well KTM offer special sliders for for the rear hangers. At least they did - I have them fitted.
Personally I would leave the hangers on a road bike and get a set of the sliders - they're cheap. God knows why KTM do not promote them more.

I doubt a Duke rear subframe will bend. Being Cast Alloy it will SNAP - if you've done that I doubt the rest of the bike is intact.

·
Registered
271 Posts
imo - If you're going to ride with the hump and never have luggage - Grab rail off. With rear seat on I see no reason to remove it - unless it's to fit a luggage rack.

The footrest hangers - Well KTM offer special sliders for for the rear hangers. At least they did - I have them fitted.
Personally I would leave the hangers on a road bike and get a set of the sliders - they're cheap. God knows why KTM do not promote them more.

I doubt a Duke rear subframe will bend. Being Cast Alloy it will SNAP - if you've done that I doubt the rest of the bike is intact.
KTM PP foot peg sliders part number is 61303946044

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I’m more likely to drop it in my driveway or during slow parking lot maneuver. I think.
Last bike I dropped - About a decade ago. I was in the garage. Just putting the bikes to bed.
Trouser leg caught on the propstand - I fell over - bike fell on me - cracked my left radius.
First day of a 2 week holiday too. Was on pain killers and had to let the missus drive.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke, 2006 SV 650, 2008 Hot rodded KLR, 1991 Honda Hawk NT 650
61 Posts
I took the passenger pegs off on the first day.
Was going to keep the grab rail till I did the tail tidy and got the solo sear cowling, but, as someone said, I could so I took it off already.
It is handy for moving the bike around ......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts