KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
And I'm not sure what the range issue is? Both of my 890's ALWAYS got between 59 and 63 mpg.
That's awesome to hear. I need 150 miles of real life range. Not riding like a hooligan, but not like a grandma either. And that's what an SV650 gives me the way I ride (fairly relaxed), and it actually has a 3.8 gal tank (vs 3.7). So I thought a freaking 900cc engine is impossible to give the same mileage, but maybe it does? Will take your word for it, so better be true. Ha ha. Thank you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ve got a couple questions? What is this Rottweiler intake kit? Has anyone tried the Arrow decat pipe? Is that bump in it a resonator, or is it just for show? I don’t want to be too loud. Can open flash adjust the tune for more mid range? I rarely rev it to 9k on the street, but the extra torque would be nice. Any idea when the 790 flash will be available?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I’ve got a couple questions? What is this Rottweiler intake kit? Has anyone tried the Arrow decat pipe? Is that bump in it a resonator, or is it just for show? I don’t want to be too loud. Can open flash adjust the tune for more mid range? I rarely rev it to 9k on the street, but the extra torque would be nice. Any idea when the 790 flash will be available?
Rottweiler performance is developing a full intake/ airbox for the dukes like thier ADV intakes. I emailed Rottweiler about the arrow decat, and it is a resonator body so will make a small decrease in sound levels vs a ”normal” decat pipe (still much louder than the cat, lighter, no restriction). As for the tuning the tune, your gonna have to wait for the man who does the work to chime in!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I want all this stuff! I also intend to measure the cam timing when I do the 1st valve check. On my Speed Twin, which is also Euro5, there are big gains available through proper cam timing. The stock cam has -9 degrees of overlap. An aftermarket cam, with revised overlap, adds about 6-7hp. That is a single cam motor, so unlike the twin cam 890, the overlap can't be altered without changing the cam.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rottweiler performance is developing a full intake/ airbox for the dukes like thier ADV intakes. I emailed Rottweiler about the arrow decat, and it is a resonator body so will make a small decrease in sound levels vs a ”normal” decat pipe (still much louder than the cat, lighter, no restriction). As for the tuning the tune, your gonna have to wait for the man who does the work to chime in!
Thanks for the info, just out of warranty and looking to do some mods soon. I guess ill have to wait a little longer.......

·
Registered
274 Posts
I want all this stuff! I also intend to measure the cam timing when I do the 1st valve check. On my Speed Twin, which is also Euro5, there are big gains available through proper cam timing. The stock cam has -9 degrees of overlap. An aftermarket cam, with revised overlap, adds about 6-7hp. That is a single cam motor, so unlike the twin cam 890, the overlap can't be altered without changing the cam.
great point cam timing does often alter where peak power is made, and maybe this is why with a decat, and adjusting fuel (and ignition timing?) there’s no power to be found in the top end. My old ZRX was such a well known platform that all these tricks had been figured out in the racing world!

·
Registered
63 Posts
great point cam timing does often alter where peak power is made, and maybe this is why with a decat, and adjusting fuel (and ignition timing?) there’s no power to be found in the top end. My old ZRX was such a well known platform that all these tricks had been figured out in the racing world!
I have too many projects on the bench at the moment to open up the 890, but I suspect that it may also have negative overlap, which is common on low emission engines. The triumph picks up power at all rpms, with none of the noticeable trade-off which is typical when moving cam timing around. The Triumph picks up about 10-12hp (from 86 up to 97hp) when you swap the cam, and eliminate the cat. It will pick up another couple if I were to use open cans, but I don't want the noise.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
196 Posts
It does not make sense to me to buy piggy back devices when the ideal thing to do is reprogram the ECU. It’s all bypassing legal emissions requirements. So why is reprogramming the ECU not the preferred method?
Because the shop will reflash it when you take it in for service. They may also void the warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
so how many here have used open flash for the 890 now that this has been out for a while. I am getting ready to build an 890 to race and was thinking of using them and then adding a pc v for final tuning

121 - 131 of 131 Posts