KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats, you'll be really happy with the bike. :)

If you like loud you may want to go with decat then, because my Wings pipe without a db killer still isn't overly loud. My Street Triple with an M4 shorty was much louder, too much for me. And as you see in the dyno graphs you do gain some nice bottom end with the decat. If you mostly ride on the street it could be a good option.

I hope to do more track days this year, and I already feel like the powerband ends early and forces frequent shifting vs. the triples I'm used to, so I didn't want to lose any power on top. I'm also hoping to hit Laguna Seca once COVID restrictions ease up, and the noise levels there are so restrictive I'll have to at a minimum put the DB killer back in, and probably bring the stock exhaust as a backup, so a decat would definitely get me black flagged.
I see where you're coming from......for me, this bike is going to be a mountain twisties road commuter sprinkled with some small town riding. It likely won't see the track as I'm planning on building a track-specific fairing'd bike next. I think I'll run the slip-on first and make the decision from there....

·
MotoGP Moderator
906 Posts
nothing here convinces me to sell my pcv set up and go for an ecu flash.
It's another option and it looks pretty good. No necessarily that someone who already has a PCV and likes the result needs to ditch it for an ECU flash. That said, propole who are looking to improve fueling and power have the ECU path as another alternative. Easy to install, no CEL and at a great price. Makes me happy!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Whaaaaaat? --- Yo cannot be serious, Shirley!.
Absolutely, the pcv is doing a better job than this offers at the moment.
I'm not against ecu flashing in fact I’d prefer it even tho the woolich variant fried the ecu on a fireblade I once owned.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
266 Posts
I haven't tested an 890 with the full Akra exhaust. It's possible that they did some clever things with the header design to restore the top end that would otherwise be lost by deleting the cat. Just speculation until I test one :)
On the FZ09 Yamaha Akra did something magic with a 360 degree circle bend to lengthen the mid pipe length. I don't see anything like on their 890 Duke rendition.

51mxn6+AqkL._AC_SL1275_.jpg
pho_pp_nmon_64105999000_akrapovic_kit_evolution_line__sall__awsg__v1_1000x577.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Absolutely, the pcv is doing a better job than this offers at the moment.
I'm not against ecu flashing in fact I’d prefer it even tho the woolich variant fried the ecu on a fireblade I once owned.
The PCV isn't doing a better job because it cannot adjust 1/3 of the engine parameters than are adjusted with a proper ECU flash. It cannot adjust torque limits, AFR targets during closed loop conditions, throttle mapping, rev limiter/hysteresis, etc,. It's a very crude tuning solution. If anyone local (SF Bay Area) has a PCV on their 890 (or 790) and wants to do an A/B comparison between it and an ECU flash, let me know. I'd be happy to show the difference on and off the dyno.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Can you comment on how removing weight can offset horsepower loss, and how that can't be seen on a dyno? Or am I way off base here? (example: my 250 pound/80 hp RD400 that embarrasses 400+ pound/125 hp modern 600's.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can you comment on how removing weight can offset horsepower loss, and how that can't be seen on a dyno? Or am I way off base here? (example: my 250 pound/80 hp RD400 that embarrasses 400+ pound/125 hp modern 600's.)
Dyno results won't take into account the power to weight ratio. It just measures power at the tire which is independent of vehicle+rider weight. But if the rider+bike weight drops say 10%, it would accelerate like it had gained 10% power.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I posted up the results myself after some pretty extensive dyno testing. Regardless of how aggressively I tuned my bike with the cat delete, it was always a few hp down on my tuned bike with the stock cat. It made more power in the midrange but suffered above 9k RPM which isn't ideal for the track since you end up wanting to short shift all the time. That's no fun. But it would pull nice wheelies coming out of 2nd and 3rd gear corners. It was quite loud though so it may not be to everyone's liking.
Shiv----very cool to know I'm only a few hours away over in NV. How booked out are you typically if I wanted to head your way at some point? Or is it easier to pull the ECU and send it to you? Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shiv----very cool to know I'm only a few hours away over in NV. How booked out are you typically if I wanted to head your way at some point? Or is it easier to pull the ECU and send it to you? Thanks!
If you wanted to get on the dyno and see before/after results, then it would be great to have you visit us. But if you just want the results and don't want to spend a day on the road, you can mail us your ECU and we can ship it back to you the next day. Pulling the ECU is quite easy. 5-10min job :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you wanted to get on the dyno and see before/after results, then it would be great to have you visit us. But if you just want the results and don't want to spend a day on the road, you can mail us your ECU and we can ship it back to you the next day. Pulling the ECU is quite easy. 5-10min job :)
Excellent. I'm having the bike delivered this week but I'm still recovering from surgery so I won't be riding for another month or two (other than just around the neighborhood a bit to work through the break-in). I'll be adding all of my upgrades etc in the interim so that'd be perfect for me to just pull it and send it to you. Not planning on installing the slip-on until after I finish the break-in so do you need to know which one I'm planning to install or does it even matter for your purposes? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Whaaaaaat? --- Yo cannot be serious, Shirley!.
That was supposed to be irony! - Oh well.
The PCV isn't doing a better job because it cannot adjust 1/3 of the engine parameters than are adjusted with a proper ECU flash. It cannot adjust torque limits, AFR targets during closed loop conditions, throttle mapping, rev limiter/hysteresis, etc,. It's a very crude tuning solution. If anyone local (SF Bay Area) has a PCV on their 890 (or 790) and wants to do an A/B comparison between it and an ECU flash, let me know. I'd be happy to show the difference on and off the dyno.
One key word there is "local". The other is DYNO. I agree though. If I had EASY LOCAL access to a good tuner - I'd use them.

I have a question for you. How well (in your experience) does the Bosch/KTM setup adjust for altitude? - I ask, as I have seen (on a different bike) how poorly some mapping (OEM and aftermarket) copes with altitude adjustments.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Excellent. I'm having the bike delivered this week but I'm still recovering from surgery so I won't be riding for another month or two (other than just around the neighborhood a bit to work through the break-in). I'll be adding all of my upgrades etc in the interim so that'd be perfect for me to just pull it and send it to you. Not planning on installing the slip-on until after I finish the break-in so do you need to know which one I'm planning to install or does it even matter for your purposes? Thanks again!
Different slip-ons will behave the same so the brand really won't make a difference. Good luck on your recovery!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a question for you. How well (in your experience) does the Bosch/KTM setup adjust for altitude? - I ask, as I have seen (on a different bike) how poorly some mapping (OEM and aftermarket) copes with altitude adjustments.
Modern KTM ECUs (Keihin or Bosch) reference barometric pressure using on-bard manifold absolutely pressure sensors. So they compensate for altitude just fine. This is typically the case with most modern EFI engine control systems though.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Modern KTM ECUs (Keihin or Bosch) reference barometric pressure using on-bard manifold absolutely pressure sensors. So they compensate for altitude just fine. This is typically the case with most modern EFI engine control systems though.
Thanks for the reply. My experience is a wee bit different. I have some experience of Keihin - I run usually at about 800-1000metres. Drop down to sea level and it all goes weird for a good 100kms. Tried reflashing and it was so so. PCV with AutoTune and mapping using MAP rather than TPS was able to get compensation close to real time. I will have to do a sea-level run on the KTM as soon as COVID allows. Shame you are SO far away from me here in Spain - or I'd pop over. I admit it's not a common issue for most.

Do you think you'll ever be able to offer a Tablet solution for the Bosch ECU?. I do understand the difficulties.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@OpenFlash Performance I'm really interested in sending my ECU over I just had a few questions first.
  • Will I still be able to change riding modes?
  • Does the flash keep all 890 features available (heated grips, cruise control, traction control, wheelie control, etc.)?
  • Will the bike still adjust for altitude?
  • If I need to change back to stock what is the process?
  • If my dealer plugs in will they be able to tell?
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My experience is a wee bit different. I have some experience of Keihin - I run usually at about 800-1000metres. Drop down to sea level and it all goes weird for a good 100kms. Tried reflashing and it was so so. PCV with AutoTune and mapping using MAP rather than TPS was able to get compensation close to real time. I will have to do a sea-level run on the KTM as soon as COVID allows. Shame you are SO far away from me here in Spain - or I'd pop over. I admit it's not a common issue for most.

Do you think you'll ever be able to offer a Tablet solution for the Bosch ECU?. I do understand the difficulties.
Eventually we expect to have a OpenFlash Tablet option for the Bosch ECU. It may take a while though since there is a lot of security to work through. So I expect bench flashing to be the only way to go for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@OpenFlash Performance I'm really interested in sending my ECU over I just had a few questions first.
  • Will I still be able to change riding modes?
  • Does the flash keep all 890 features available (heated grips, cruise control, traction control, wheelie control, etc.)?
  • Will the bike still adjust for altitude?
  • If I need to change back to stock what is the process?
  • If my dealer plugs in will they be able to tell?
Thanks for your time.
I'll be happy to answer your questions below:

-Yes, all riding modes will be retained
-Yes, all those features will be retained as well.
-Yes of course.
-We would have to flash the ECU back to stock ourselves. But there is little reason to do so since the ECU would appear to simply have the Akrapovic tune on it when queried by a KTM tech.

Hope that helps!

81 - 100 of 100 Posts