KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes supposedly the calibration code is the same as the Akra dealership tune.
So I was planning on having the Akro Evo tune uploaded once I install my slip-on and decat......does the OpenFlash work in conjunction with the Akro flash or simply replace it altogether? (New to some of this tech, forgive my ignorance please!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
The OpenFlash map would replace the Akra one so there's no reason to do both if you intend to go with OpenFlash.

I would caution against the decat. You'll gain some power in the lower RPMs but lose power up top (even with a tune) and it's very loud. So far everyone I've talked to that went with a decat ended up swapping back to the stock setup.

OpenFlash offers 3 options - a flash/map for full stock, one for a slip-on, and one for a slip-on + decat. The one for a slip-on gains power everywhere and hits the sweet spot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok here's my early impressions of the OpenFlash tune.

On the experience itself
1. Shiv (the owner) is very fast to respond to emails and answered my questions late at night. Definitely not a 9-5 guy and we also communicated over text to coordinate the meet up, which was very handy.
2. Since I live a 30 minute ride from his home office he invited me to just ride over and he would do the necessary disassembly to get to the ECU for a minor labor charge, so that was super convenient. No shipping and waiting for the ECU, I was in and out in less than an hour.
3. Shiv's very personable and likes to bench race, plus we know a lot of the same people in the Bay Area racer community. He is also a proper track nut - in his driveway he had a track-only 911 RS3, a Ferrari 458, a Panigale V4R with properly shredded slicks, an S1000RR, a Streetfighter V4S also setup for track duty, to go along with an 890R, a 1290R, and some other toys. So he clearly plays in the same sandbox where he works.
4. Knowing the 890R is his favorite street bike and the ECU flash has been designed on my bike ridden on my roads and my tracks gives me a lot of confidence that it's not just going to be a watered down "kind of fit everywhere" tune.
5. After finishing the tune he took the bike for a test ride to make sure everything felt good, and when I got home I had a text waiting from him asking how the bike felt and if he could help answer any questions. So while I can't speak to other's experience (earlier in this thread there was a mention of grumblings in the Miata community), my interaction with him was very positive from start to finish.

Ok, now for the tune itself. I rode a bit of steady state freeway followed by 30 minutes of very twisty 2nd gear corners followed by some city street. Impressions in no particular order:

- Throttle feels much more directly connected to the engine, rolling on and off feels very smooth without any lag, hesitation, or excessive engine braking. I would describe it as a 1:1 connection between right hand and rear tire. The fueling always felt good to me, but now it feels great. No surging (even though it was only minor before) on the freeway.

- Power off idle is much better, leaving a stop light it doesn’t feel like it hesitates or need revs to come on. the power just builds smoothly from the start.

- The whole power band feels very "rich", flat without any dips.

- Freeway roll-on acceleration at speed is noticeably better even in 6th, very obvious in 3/4 gear. I didn't need to downshift to pass at freeway speed.

- Power feels stronger throughout the powerband. It's not earth shattering, but definitely beefier, especially in the midrange. The more noticeable change is the lack of dips or any surging at steady throttle. Torque also feels flat and stronger.

- Top end feels stronger and it doesn't taper off near redline, I didn't have to short shift because it wheezes out up top, instead it pulled all the way to the limit. I can't be sure and will need to test it more, but it seems like the rev limit increased because it was still pulling when the shift was flashing which is usually when I'm about to hit the soft rev limiter. Maybe just my imagination or a different feel due to the better power up top, but either way it let me keep the bike in 2nd gear and ride revs up and down the range in the tight stuff and the quicker sections between corners, which was fun.

So it's still early days and I'm excited to try it at the track next month, but initial impressions are very positive. The TL;DR version (which I guess should go up top) is that the bike feels stronger, smoother, and more responsive, and it made an already great bike even better. I've no experience with any of the other tuning options, or have any dyno numbers to share, so I can't say how the OpenFlash compares to the others as far as optimum gains and rideability. But for me the convenience of not having to install a piggyback system, tinker with finding a Windows laptop and mess around with downloaded maps, get a full tune across the rev range without messing up the cruise control or throw an engine check light (like the RW race maps), have a local tuner who can offer support and future updates a 30 minute ride from me (and also frequents the same track days I do and can help out in person with any issues that may arise), combined with a noticeable improvement in ride quality and engine feel, makes it a clear win in my book.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
266 Posts
I have had similar experiences with a new flash. Nice write up. How much does he charge?

Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok here's my early impressions of the OpenFlash tune.

On the experience itself
1. Shiv (the owner) is very fast to respond to emails and answered my questions late at night. Definitely not a 9-5 guy and we also communicated over text to coordinate the meet up, which was very handy.
2. Since I live a 30 minute ride from his home office he invited me to just ride over and he would do the necessary disassembly to get to the ECU for a minor labor charge, so that was super convenient. No shipping and waiting for the ECU, I was in and out in less than an hour.
3. Shiv's very personable and likes to bench race, plus we know a lot of the same people in the Bay Area racer community. He is also a proper track nut - in his driveway he had a track-only 911 RS3, a Ferrari 458, a Panigale V4R with properly shredded slicks, an S1000RR, a Streetfighter V4S also setup for track duty, to go along with an 890R, a 1290R, and some other toys. So he clearly plays in the same sandbox where he works.
4. Knowing the 890R is his favorite street bike and the ECU flash has been designed on my bike ridden on my roads and my tracks gives me a lot of confidence that it's not just going to be a watered down "kind of fit everywhere" tune.
5. After finishing the tune he took the bike for a test ride to make sure everything felt good, and when I got home I had a text waiting from him asking how the bike felt and if he could help answer any questions. So while I can't speak to other's experience (earlier in this thread there was a mention of grumblings in the Miata community), my interaction with him was very positive from start to finish.

Ok, now for the tune itself. I rode a bit of steady state freeway followed by 30 minutes of very twisty 2nd gear corners followed by some city street. Impressions in no particular order:

- Throttle feels much more directly connected to the engine, rolling on and off feels very smooth without any lag, hesitation, or excessive engine braking. I would describe it as a 1:1 connection between right hand and rear tire. The fueling always felt good to me, but now it feels great. No surging (even though it was only minor before) on the freeway.

- Power off idle is much better, leaving a stop light it doesn’t feel like it hesitates or need revs to come on. the power just builds smoothly from the start.

- The whole power band feels very "rich", flat without any dips.

- Freeway roll-on acceleration at speed is noticeably better even in 6th, very obvious in 3/4 gear. I didn't need to downshift to pass at freeway speed.

- Power feels stronger throughout the powerband. It's not earth shattering, but definitely beefier, especially in the midrange. The more noticeable change is the lack of dips or any surging at steady throttle. Torque also feels flat and stronger.

- Top end feels stronger and it doesn't taper off near redline, I didn't have to short shift because it wheezes out up top, instead it pulled all the way to the limit. I can't be sure and will need to test it more, but it seems like the rev limit increased because it was still pulling when the shift was flashing which is usually when I'm about to hit the soft rev limiter. Maybe just my imagination or a different feel due to the better power up top, but either way it let me keep the bike in 2nd gear and ride revs up and down the range in the tight stuff and the quicker sections between corners, which was fun.

So it's still early days and I'm excited to try it at the track next month, but initial impressions are very positive. The TL;DR version (which I guess should go up top) is that the bike feels stronger, smoother, and more responsive, and it made an already great bike even better. I've no experience with any of the other tuning options, or have any dyno numbers to share, so I can't say how the OpenFlash compares to the others as far as optimum gains and rideability. But for me the convenience of not having to install a piggyback system, tinker with finding a Windows laptop and mess around with downloaded maps, get a full tune across the rev range without messing up the cruise control or throw an engine check light (like the RW race maps), have a local tuner who can offer support and future updates a 30 minute ride from me (and also frequents the same track days I do and can help out in person with any issues that may arise), combined with a noticeable improvement in ride quality and engine feel, makes it a clear win in my book.
It was nice meeting you. Glad you are enjoying the tune and thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review!

I'll lurk around here from time to time so if anyone has any questions about our ECU flash or custom dyno tuning services, please let me know :)

-Shiv

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
266 Posts
It was nice meeting you. Glad you are enjoying the tune and thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review!

I'll lurk around here from time to time so if anyone has any questions about our ECU flash or custom dyno tuning services, please let me know :)

-Shiv
Hi Shiv I have a 2020 790. Are you working on a flash for the 790?

Thanks,

Tim.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Shiv I have a 2020 790. Are you working on a flash for the 790?

Thanks,

Tim.
Yes absolutely. I have the 790 ECU file mostly defined. Once I wrap up a project I'm working on now, I'll obtain a local test bike and develop some calibrations for it. ECU structure is nearly identical to that of the 890 ECU with just a hex offset change.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The OpenFlash map would replace the Akra one so there's no reason to do both if you intend to go with OpenFlash.

I would caution against the decat. You'll gain some power in the lower RPMs but lose power up top (even with a tune) and it's very loud. So far everyone I've talked to that went with a decat ended up swapping back to the stock setup.

OpenFlash offers 3 options - a flash/map for full stock, one for a slip-on, and one for a slip-on + decat. The one for a slip-on gains power everywhere and hits the sweet spot.
Where does the info come from about losing top end power with a decat? Coober?
are we still believing this rubbish.

·
Registered
40 Posts
@Hawkerjet it was $395 for the ecu flash.
@Pgm the decaf power curve is covered here:
. Shiv also recommended I stick with the cat as he’s tried both and also lost a few hp up top and gained some in the bottom end and decided to switch back to the stock cat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where does the info come from about losing top end power with a decat? Coober?
are we still believing this rubbish.
I posted up the results myself after some pretty extensive dyno testing. Regardless of how aggressively I tuned my bike with the cat delete, it was always a few hp down on my tuned bike with the stock cat. It made more power in the midrange but suffered above 9k RPM which isn't ideal for the track since you end up wanting to short shift all the time. That's no fun. But it would pull nice wheelies coming out of 2nd and 3rd gear corners. It was quite loud though so it may not be to everyone's liking.

·
Registered
23 Posts

I appreciate the straightforward feedback and have been curious whether to do it or not......I like loud, don't mind REALLY loud either. To your point, however, I don't like it if I'm losing performance for it and was figuring I'd start with the slip-on and decide if it was necessary to take it further. Given the options you listed above, it's probably a smarter plan to start there.

And today I got official......paid in full and being delivered next week! A lovely day indeed!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congrats, you'll be really happy with the bike. :)

If you like loud you may want to go with decat then, because my Wings pipe without a db killer still isn't overly loud. My Street Triple with an M4 shorty was much louder, too much for me. And as you see in the dyno graphs you do gain some nice bottom end with the decat. If you mostly ride on the street it could be a good option.

I hope to do more track days this year, and I already feel like the powerband ends early and forces frequent shifting vs. the triples I'm used to, so I didn't want to lose any power on top. I'm also hoping to hit Laguna Seca once COVID restrictions ease up, and the noise levels there are so restrictive I'll have to at a minimum put the DB killer back in, and probably bring the stock exhaust as a backup, so a decat would definitely get me black flagged.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So, these dyno results with DECAT favor street riding power. More mid range torque and horsepower. I have the full Akra Ti system with cat delete, and I use the quieter insert. Not too loud, but much improved midrange. Thanks for sharing all the info about your tunes. I'm up north in Eureka (and a BARF'er), and am thinking about contacting you once the weather gets better.

·
MotoGP Moderator
908 Posts
Some great info in this thread. Thanks.

At $395, it looks like a great deal. Nice gains and better fueling, without any annoying CEL. Still pros/cons relative to a piggyback unit, but options are (almost) always a good thing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also keep in mind that a full system with the decat is about a 10 pound weight savings (7 - 12, depending on the system and metal). In my book, the full Ti system weight savings and decat GAINS HP in the bottom and midrange, but doesn't really loose anything on top because the weight savings translates into 1 or 2 HP gain. Maybe Shiv could comment on this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also keep in mind that a full system with the decat is about a 10 pound weight savings (7 - 12, depending on the system and metal). In my book, the full Ti system weight savings and decat GAINS HP in the bottom and midrange, but doesn't really loose anything on top because the weight savings translates into 1 or 2 HP gain. Maybe Shiv could comment on this?
I haven't tested an 890 with the full Akra exhaust. It's possible that they did some clever things with the header design to restore the top end that would otherwise be lost by deleting the cat. Just speculation until I test one :)

61 - 80 of 100 Posts