KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I should but I don’t have time to go through all that. My main goal is adapting the bike to the higher air flow with the power plate, air filter, and exhaust, to make sure everything runs well and feels smooth. It’ll be a butt dyno comparison. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
By any chance do you have Dragy? It is a very accurate device for measuring acceleration and braking. You could do before and after runs. That would easily show if there were any significant performance improvements. Butt dynos are notoriously inaccurate.

If you don't have Dragy, it isn't expensive. I think about $150 or so. It has a good phone app to work with the unit. At the strip it was within .2 mph and .05 seconds to what I run.

·
Registered
40 Posts
$150 is a lot for me for something I would only use once to check the power. I will have to put my faith in the dyno work Open Flash went through to arrive at their mapping. It helps that they're local to me and tested at my local tracks, plus the guy I'm talking to (I think the owner?) also rides an 890 R, so what works well for them should work well for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It is good for a lot of things and often cheaper than dyno time. It gives you real world info. I also rent mine out to friends and quickly recouped the cost. :)

I wouldn't normally rent to friends but if I don't, it never seems to find its way back to me in a timely manner.

·
Super-FastGuy
Ninja 400
599 Posts
I should but I don’t have time to go through all that. My main goal is adapting the bike to the higher air flow with the power plate, air filter, and exhaust, to make sure everything runs well and feels smooth. It’ll be a butt dyno comparison. :)
Ummm... :unsure:

You say you don't have time and then list ALL the reasons why you want the bike tweaked and only the dyno with sniffer can assist you with fixing?

An ECU flash will help but you'll have no idea if it is optimized, if it's running dangerously rich or lean, or if you're leaving untapped potential on the table.

·
Registered
40 Posts
:) fair point. I guess what I meant is, right now I know my bike is running too lean, and I'm getting ready for my first track day in a couple weeks and am looking to get it in the ballpark before then. With my work and family schedule I don't have time to book multiple dyno runs, and would also like to avoid paying for that (if I did I would get a PC5 and pay the cost to have a custom map done). As a start I'm willing to take the chance that an ECU flash that's been designed on the dyno and my local tracks, and tested on the roads I normally ride, is going to be better than leaving the bike as is. The cost is a lot less, the labor hassle is a big positive vs. installing a piggyback, and they've offered to do it for me on the bike itself vs. shipping and installing it myself. I'm also going to their dyno shop so I should be able to see more details from their own 890R that they used to build their map.

So I'm definitely going for convenience, and if it makes the bike run well and nets me some power I'm not so concerned with maximizing gains and getting the ultimate tune for it. I'm not removing the cat, I'm not trying to build a track bike, I'm already happy with the power of the bike, so in this case the cost and convenience trumps the effort, time, and money required to do my own dyno work.

That said, I will probably do a dyno run once things open up around here and the kids go back to school so I can take more time out for track days (there's a dyno shop at one of our local tracks where you can get a run done during the track day).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
:) fair point. I guess what I meant is, right now I know my bike is running too lean, and I'm getting ready for my first track day in a couple weeks and am looking to get it in the ballpark before then. With my work and family schedule I don't have time to book multiple dyno runs, and would also like to avoid paying for that (if I did I would get a PC5 and pay the cost to have a custom map done). As a start I'm willing to take the chance that an ECU flash that's been designed on the dyno and my local tracks, and tested on the roads I normally ride, is going to be better than leaving the bike as is. The cost is a lot less, the labor hassle is a big positive vs. installing a piggyback, and they've offered to do it for me on the bike itself vs. shipping and installing it myself. I'm also going to their dyno shop so I should be able to see more details from their own 890R that they used to build their map.

So I'm definitely going for convenience, and if it makes the bike run well and nets me some power I'm not so concerned with maximizing gains and getting the ultimate tune for it. I'm not removing the cat, I'm not trying to build a track bike, I'm already happy with the power of the bike, so in this case the cost and convenience trumps the effort, time, and money required to do my own dyno work.

That said, I will probably do a dyno run once things open up around here and the kids go back to school so I can take more time out for track days (there's a dyno shop at one of our local tracks where you can get a run done during the track day).
So you're saying you're cheap and lazy? ;)

Me too! :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had the Rotti map already downloaded to the PCV and it ran really nice but when I finally got it on the dyno the operator was able to further tweak it. Well worth it IMO

·
Registered
40 Posts

Lol I'm not cheap, but I am a fan of convenience and willing to take 90% of the gains vs. going all in to get 100%. It's the same reason I mostly stream music vs. vinyl or FLAC. Yes they sound better but the convenience makes up for it (plus I've invested in exceedingly overkill headphones to make the best of it).

If I was racing this bike I would be doing everything by the book, my friends at Factory Pro in San Rafael can attest to the money I've already spent with them over the years. But it's already a great bike and this is just a way to make it even more of a laugh. And until someone can show me definitively that the Open Flash is drastically inferior to all of the other options out there I don't see the harm in giving it a go.

·
MotoGP Moderator
912 Posts

Bike is running lean and can run better. A few alternatives out there. PCV still most proven for this bike with good maps available. Flashing still less popular on this bike and probably more expensive. A nice advantage of PCV that it's very easy to switch maps on your own, if you can get your hands on something you prefer. With a flash you are more limited.

Lol I'm not cheap, but I am a fan of convenience and willing to take 90% of the gains vs. going all in to get 100%. It's the same reason I mostly stream music vs. vinyl or FLAC. Yes they sound better but the convenience makes up for it (plus I've invested in exceedingly overkill headphones to make the best of it).

If I was racing this bike I would be doing everything by the book, my friends at Factory Pro in San Rafael can attest to the money I've already spent with them over the years. But it's already a great bike and this is just a way to make it even more of a laugh. And until someone can show me definitively that the Open Flash is drastically inferior to all of the other options out there I don't see the harm in giving it a go.
Better is the worst enemy of very good. Until you get paid for winning races, the law of diminishing returns is a very practical way to approach it.

I guess different that people have different priorities.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

I understand. I have spotify and a nice pair of Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7's. I agree about the flash. I don't know if you noticed. But I started this discussion. I am also looking at the Coober. @barbagris says it is the cats pajamas.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For me one thing holding me back from the PCV is the RW race map will disable cruise control and throw the engine check light. You have to use the street map to avoid that, so you're already leaving power gains on the table by doing so. The flash won't mess with any of that, so that's a positive in my book. And if you take it in for service the dealer will see what appears to be the KTM Akrapovic accessory map installed, so hopefully that won't raise any eyebrows.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That is an interesting piece of info. BUT... I would go to the local dealer and have them put the Akra flash on the bike so you have a record of it done by a dealer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've yet to find a dealer in California that's willing to touch any maps even with the OEM accessory slip-on systems involved due to CARB, whether it was my Aprilia or Triumph. Especially if I bring in the bike with my Wings pipe and ask them to load the Akra map. I will look into it but I think it's a long shot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
CARB ruins so much when it comes to mod. Just meeting CARB compliance often results in a specific California version of the vehicle. What about going to Vegas or Phoenix for the weekend and having it done there?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I almost said “spoken like a single guy” but I don’t know your situation and that’s unfair of me. Maybe I’m just jealous. :)

I would love to be able to ride to Vegas for the weekend for any reason, let alone to get my bike tuned. The reality is with two 5th graders distance learning at home, a wife working full time, my own job that’s consuming every waking hour in this WFH world, and 3 cats and a dog, I’m lucky to sneak in a 2 hour ride on a Friday morning every couple weeks (or this week - a ride to Open Flash for a Track days are maybe once a quarter, and the idea of spending the weekend away for fun sounds like a fantasy. But that’s my situation and I chose it and am not unhappy about it, but it does put a dent in my social life and ability to be spontaneous.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've yet to find a dealer in California that's willing to touch any maps even with the OEM accessory slip-on systems involved due to CARB, whether it was my Aprilia or Triumph. Especially if I bring in the bike with my Wings pipe and ask them to load the Akra map. I will look into it but I think it's a long shot.
[/QUOT
I almost said “spoken like a single guy” but I don’t know your situation and that’s unfair of me. Maybe I’m just jealous. :)

I would love to be able to ride to Vegas for the weekend for any reason, let alone to get my bike tuned. The reality is with two 5th graders distance learning at home, a wife working full time, my own job that’s consuming every waking hour in this WFH world, and 3 cats and a dog, I’m lucky to sneak in a 2 hour ride on a Friday morning every couple weeks (or this week - a ride to Open Flash for a Track days are maybe once a quarter, and the idea of spending the weekend away for fun sounds like a fantasy. But that’s my situation and I chose it and am not unhappy about it, but it does put a dent in my social life and ability to be spontaneous.
I'm in the same boat. Trailer it up and take the family for a weekend "getaway" ?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I wonder - if one solution might be to scour ebay for a used Bosch ECU and ship it to OpenFlash. One would need to know if the ECU is matched in someway to the dash etc though. CANBUS is a bugger at times.

Here in Spain - I have yet to even hear of somebody with a flashed ECU. Let alone where one can get it done. For me COOBER was really the ONLY option.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts