KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
a d m i n .
151,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ear plugs.. Often times when removing my helmet, someone asks me why I wear ear plugs.

I began using them over 20 years ago for racing,

a few reasons:

*Race exhausts are D E A F E N I N G.

*Wind noise inside your helmet promote irreparable hearing loss. Check out the link below:

https://www.motorcycle.com/features/...ring-loss.html

I couldn't imagine not using Earplugs. Thoughts?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Keep meaning to try them but forget. I have a 200 pair in my van too of 3m ones lol. In my defence I run with a dB killer in, I think I’m faster and smoother with a quieter pipe, must be old age:)

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Totally agree with you! I have 2 pairs of custom-moulded silicone ones which are outstanding and far superior to commercial ones in terms of effectiveness and comfort. Interestingly, helmet to helmet comms are better with them because they reduce the high frequency wind noise. There is an option with built in ear buds but I didn't bother as I don't listen to music on the bike.

·
Super-Moderator
717 Posts
I have been using these Mack's plugs for a good 15 years and swear by them. Very high Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 26 decibels. Easy to clean and reuse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't ride without earplugs, the wind noise drives me crazy. I use them also in other noisy environments. I have tinnitus, and the noise increases the piiiiiiiiiiii sound inside my ears. I have pairs in my wallet, car, jackets...so I can always find a pair. Tested a lot, for me the best filtering noise are the Moldex 7800.

·
Super-Moderator
717 Posts
Reactions: J D

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ride with metal earplugs. They reflect the sound as opposed to a combination of reflection and absorption.

My ear holes are tiny so I use the mini's (the standard size fit but hurt) and I hear more through conduction from my ass than through my ears when on the bike.

https://www.flareaudio.com/collections/isolate

Yes, these plugs were a kickstarter. They actually did real science to prove the effectiveness of using metal over foam, etc. If you click through, there's a pretty cool dB response graph.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/584645150/isolate-switch-off-your-ears/posts/1638503?lang=fr

Reactions: J D

·
Super-Member
595 Posts
I must be the minority here, and although I never wore ear plugs while riding any bike, I haven't even thought to try them. I do have a specific molded pair fitted for me which I guess I should try, but I really like being able to hear my bike. Albeit the wind noise is pretty **** loud at highway speeds (much more than I remember on the R1) but for some odd reason I feel like I would be impaired with them in.

·
a d m i n .
151,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I must be the minority here, and although I never wore ear plugs while riding any bike, I haven't even thought to try them. I do have a specific molded pair fitted for me which I guess I should try, but I really like being able to hear my bike. Albeit the wind noise is pretty **** loud at highway speeds (much more than I remember on the R1) but for some odd reason I feel like I would be impaired with them in.
Check out that article, and many others like it. The wind noise really ruins your hearing over time.

·
Super-Moderator
717 Posts
I would recommend you look at this. Hearing loss is a real danger for motorcyclists. You might want to look here, here, as well as many other sources, for some info. It all boils down to the same thing. We are primary candidates to hearing loss, mainly around the same frequencies that are required for interpreting speech.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Kele, I am not a racer but riding a bike usually. I wear a custom earplugs/motorcycle riding earplugs for 16 years. I feel better with it and don't think what people think because of safety at first.
Thanks for sharing a helpful link.

·
a d m i n .
151,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I am not a racer but riding a bike usually. I wear a custom earplugs/motorcycle riding earplugs for 16 years. I feel better with it and don't think what people think because of safety at first.
Thanks for sharing a helpful link.
Most welcome hombre. Actually the first link I put in the post was so-so. I added the one that Evans posted up, as it was a much more comprehensive read than the one I had up previously.

I guess I've done the ear plugs for so long, they've become like seat-belts or a helmet, I just can't drive/ride without.

Been on trips with a handful of friends, in States where helmets were optional, i couldn't ride without one. :wink: Same goes for the earplugs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
WHAT?? SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!

Seriously though, there's a reason all the old bikers are deaf and have tinnitus. I never ride without earplugs. I'm happy enough with the foam disposables.

·
Super-Moderator
717 Posts
A few years back i had a copy of a very detailed paper about this. Can't seem to find it know. I will keep looking.

At any rate, my distinguished colleagues (Kelevra, Evans) already provide a lot of info. I think this is a great topic for discussion. might save someones hearing. Worth it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts