KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry for the double image guys. I'm trying to get the new posting system down. Anyway, my 790 with the new ecu, a mid pipe and a slip on.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I’m
my 790 with the new ecu, a mid pipe and a slip on.
Nice roughly 7+ hp, “mid pipe” means that you removed the cat ?
May we know what is your ECU ?
Also does your ecu raised the cut off ? Because you graph seems to be going up to about 10200 and if I’m right it shouldn’t be going over 9700 or so.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’m

Nice roughly 7+ hp, “mid pipe” means that you removed the cat ?
May we know what is your ECU ?
Also does your ecu raised the cut off ? Because you graph seems to be going up to about 10200 and if I’m right it shouldn’t be going over 9700 or so.
Thank you for noticing. The ecu has been flashed to eliminate the factory rev limit. The cat has been removed. MWR air box cover mod and new filter.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
448 Posts
@Donnster - the torque curve looks to have suffered quite noticeably though huh? From 6000-8000 it drops way off compared to Evans post where it's flat as a pancake from that same range.
Normally 6000-8000 isn't an issue for a track bike with 12-15k rpm limits but with only 10k to play with this is gonna be where a lot of time will be spent.

·
Registered
82 Posts
@Donnster - the torque curve looks to have suffered quite noticeably though huh? From 6000-8000 it drops way off compared to Evans post where it's flat as a pancake from that same range.
Normally 6000-8000 isn't an issue for a track bike with 12-15k rpm limits but with only 10k to play with this is gonna be where a lot of time will be spent.
I disagree. This offers the low torque to get you out strong and the hp to pull the distance. This is very typical of this type of motor set up for flat track. To me a flat torque range is exactly that, flat!!

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
448 Posts
I disagree. This offers the low torque to get you out strong and the hp to pull the distance. This is very typical of this type of motor set up for flat track. To me a flat torque range is exactly that, flat!!
I don't want to start a flame war Donny, I was just saying that the torque curve you posted ISN'T pancake flat like the stock one Evans posted recently - his IS perfectly flat (6000-8000) and yours tapers off noticeably which as you say, isn't ideal so my comment was that your ECU flash seemed to have traded top end punch for a little mid-range oomph/push. No offence, just an observation.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't want to start a flame war Donny, I was just saying that the torque curve you posted ISN'T pancake flat like the stock one Evans posted recently - his IS perfectly flat (6000-8000) and yours tapers off noticeably which as you say, isn't ideal so my comment was that your ECU flash seemed to have traded top end punch for a little mid-range oomph/push. No offence, just an observation.
Where exactly do I say "isn't ideal"? Where exactly have I traded "top end punch"? Please explain the benefits of a flat increase vs a curve and it's benefit for racing. You seem to be an expert.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
448 Posts
Where exactly do I say "isn't ideal"? Where exactly have I traded "top end punch"? Please explain the benefits of a flat increase vs a curve and it's benefit for racing. You seem to be an expert.
I'll answer your questions then hold off on any further comment.

You say a flat curve is the best.
I say yours is NOT flat - it tapers off after peaking at just past 6k rpm.
By your own admission, that isn't ideal - flat is best, not sloping down.

I paraphrased.

I didn't word it very well I agree, but what I was trying to say was that you seem to have traded a perfectly flat midrange torque curve (on a stock ecu) to GAIN more of a top end punch. (current ECU)

Benefits of a flat curve you already know - it allows for a wider spread of rev's for the rider to get a smooth, predictable drive every time he/she gets on the gas without worrying about dips or sudden spikes in torque which upset chassis, overload tires, and change corner exit angles. Without worrying about managing those spikes/dips a rider can easily repeat his throttle application lap after lap without playing roulette and worrying like a 500cc 2-stroke Racer from 20 years ago would - there's a wider range of power and a smoother uptake.

Again - you already know this so I'll shut up.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
448 Posts
So Cycle World released their first ride impression video and dyno video of the 890R yesterday and they have the 890R at 106hp and 60ft lbs torque - what in da eff???????

·
Registered
9 Posts
So Cycle World released their first ride impression video and dyno video of the 890R yesterday and they have the 890R at 106hp and 60ft lbs torque - what in da eff???????
I thought the same.

the numbers EvansB2 posted here seem more realistic, also compared to the 790

·
Registered
284 Posts
But we were all amazed at the charts Evans put up I’m not saying they’re right or wrong but just saying.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well I find it really hard to believe that Cycle World's numbers are what the 890 really has. A heavier crankshaft, increased bore/stroke, and a higher compression ratio have to give it more than 11 hp and 2 ft lbs. 17 hp and 12 ft lbs makes much more sense to me. That's my 2 cents on the matter

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dyno's can be setup (programmed) to read whatever you want them to read.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts