KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
448 Posts
OMFG.

Well that certainly is a shocker in terms of peak output - as I thought, KTM seriously undersold the power output of this new 890R, just as they did with the new '20 SD1290.

116+ and 70ft lbs - wow... my butt dyno was right - much stronger than advertised.

Thanks Evans for the info - amazing!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Very nice! Very impressed by that graph! So what are we thinking here, 125-130 hp and 80-85 ft lbs at the crank? Maybe more? I'm curious how much more power we can squeeze out of it with mods and tuning.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Roughly only an 11% increase in capacity gained a 21% hp and 17% increase in torque - huge!
Which probably means the cc-to-cc KTM is squeezing much more out of the 890. So probably more potential in the 790...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Which probably means the cc-to-cc KTM is squeezing much more out of the 890. So probably more potential in the 790...
It also MIGHT mean the 790 is more durable longer term. A plus for those of us who don't and cant "update" as often.

I would also add a wee bit of a caveat emptor here. One of the things that many 1290SDR owners say is that it is over powered/torqued for the weight. Somewhere the will be a frontier twixt "extasy" and "terror". - I have a natural wont to desire "more" , but confess it's fun having something I can really thrash without feeling I'm on the edge.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
It also MIGHT mean the 790 is more durable longer term. A plus for those of us who don't and cant "update" as often.
Had the same thought exactly but didn't want to look like a disgruntled 790 owner ;)

·
Registered
846 Posts
If somebody wants to ship me their 890R (and 1290SDR of course) for a damn good thrashing on my commute - I will proffer pure unbiased opinion.
Said opinion will be provided by my missus based on the smile to skid-mark ratio.

Damn it I really need to gear this blighter down. What is the point of 6 gears if you only need 3?. :whistle::giggle:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cool! this is great info. Thanks Evans!

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
The suspension upgrade...LOL...

I invested enough in the bike to keep it a little longer. As much as I like the additional power, I think I will wait. It's really a very enjoyable machine, at this point.

Looking to get another bike as a two-up tourer. Had it in another post. Looking closely at 1290 ADV or Ducati MTS. Both have enough power, great suspension and electronic aids and brakes. Both handle very well.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts