KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bought my 2021 2 weeks ago. Went in for first service end of last week. Yesterday, Sunday August 8th, went on a 553 mile ride. Got home last night and put her on the stand was going to perform chain maintenance and just give the bike a good looking over. I've owned 2 previous ktm's and both had given me plenty of issues so I knew what I was getting into with this one. They sometimes take a little sorting out.

Well last night I discovered that the coolant is leaking. All of the header bolts have walked out almost fully and FIVE bolts are missing from various places on the motor itself plus the 2 bolts that hold the tank cover in place.

I'm a little bit upset this morning. Just going to drop it off at the dealer tomorrow. For the record I'm not hard on vehicles and generally take good care of them. This is 100% on ktm. Nothing I've done has been out of the ordinary. Ktm's quality control is lacking in my honest opinion.

I hate this it's such an amazing bike. I'm 6'2 and 245 pounds and I'm very comfortable on the motorcycle. I was wanting to tour on it but now I'm not sure. I'll likely keep it till warranty runs out and go back to Yamaha or Kawasaki.
And the **** thing is, they'll likely say that's not a warranty issue and that you should've been inspecting the bike before every ride. I had the tank bolts and several misc. bolts fall off of my 890R in the fist couple of months I owned it. "Well, that sucks, would you like to buy new ones at 10% off?" Annoying.

So, I got into the habit of putting loctite on every screw/bolt I take off. i should've learned my lesson on the 701 sumo I had, it was so vibey stuff fell off often and I had to do the same thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
And the **** thing is, they'll likely say that's not a warranty issue and that you should've been inspecting the bike before every ride. I had the tank bolts and several misc. bolts fall off of my 890R in the fist couple of months I owned it. "Well, that sucks, would you like to buy new ones at 10% off?" Annoying.

So, I got into the habit of putting loctite on every screw/bolt I take off. i should've learned my lesson on the 701 sumo I had, it was so vibey stuff fell off often and I had to do the same thing.
Well that's disheartening. We're dealing with a recent fire that resulted in the death of my girlfriend's oldest child. The one thing that's been in the back of my mind is "at least all this will be covered under warranty ".

The only reason I have the bike is because I traded in 2 other bikes and recieved some money back from the trades. I needed the cash because we're having to do "back to school" stuff plus replace EVERYTHING. Insurance money hasn't kicked in yet it's just a long story.

All of this stuff is an easy fix though. I'm not going to let it bother me. I've really been using the bike as an outlet to help take everything off of my mind though.

I've already owned a 2014 1190s and a 2016 1290SA and both of them had several problems. The dealerships always took care of everything.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don’t know about the 890 but nearly three years on, not one problem with my 790 (a couple of minor things fixed at first service). Must be the rider😀😀.
my 790 has 24K KM without a single issue - I've have had it on the track a number of times and ride it hard much of the time. I've had all serviced performed at my dealer who treats me and the bike great - I love this bike - I/m hankering for an 890. I/m very sorry about your girlfriends daughter and girlfriend - thats horrible - as for the dealer saying that I'd frankly find a new dealer - those issues sound like a lax dealer in the assembly of the bike - certainly if they haven't checked it over before delivering it to you. I can't imagine that kind of treatment from dealer -

·
Registered
34 Posts
2020 890R here - I sleep great. I have 5000 kms on it - no leaks, no unscheduled services (other than KTM recall for oil change at the very beginning), no funny business. I love this moto.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm getting oil seepage on my '20 890 R. There's some pooling in the chain tensioner adjuster (not sure how it go up, into the screw piece) and a bunch on the stator side, most likely coming from the valve cover.

Might clean it all up, mount the gopro on the frame slider (pointed at the motor), and do some WOT sprints to see if I can find where it's actually coming from

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oh man; that's a lot more oil than I'd like to see. If you're out of warranty, or want to identify the source (or sources) of the leaks (which is a great idea, by the way), you'd definitely have to clean everything to like-new condition, then do a full inspection after a hard run, like you suggested. Then decide if you want to tackle the fix yourself (or not). How many miles? Good luck.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Oh man; that's a lot more oil than I'd like to see. If you're out of warranty, or want to identify the source (or sources) of the leaks (which is a great idea, by the way), you'd definitely have to clean everything to like-new condition, then do a full inspection after a hard run, like you suggested. Then decide if you want to tackle the fix yourself (or not). How many miles? Good luck.
~4500 miles, still under warranty.... i think. Dunno if my crash voided any warranty on it. Got the 5 year extended warranty on top of the OEM. Dropping it off at a friend's place tonight, who used to be the top mechanic at the shop i bought it from till he jumped ship to the BMW dealer. Having him give it an inspection before my 800 mile trip this weekend. Then I'll take it to the shop.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
As thread starter, I thought I'd give an update since getting 890r. Bike has been been trouble free so far. Almost 2000miles and 7 months later. Need to do more riding I KNOW!

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
546 Posts
As thread starter, I thought I'd give an update since getting 890r. Bike has been been trouble free so far. Almost 2000miles and 7 months later. Need to do more riding I KNOW!
Same with my 21 890R 2,700 miles and no issues. I just ride once a week on Sunday mornings. I just reached the wear bars on the cup 2’s rear. I’ll replace them with S22’s and I’ll have the tps installed along with the Bluetooth unit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Same with my 21 890R 2,700 miles and no issues. I just ride once a week on Sunday mornings. I just reached the wear bars on the cup 2’s rear. I’ll replace them with S22’s and I’ll have the tps installed along with the Bluetooth unit.
Great idea regarding TPMS . I was on the fence but probably should do that to. Glad your 890r has been rock solid. Debating about s22 or getting different style tire like road 5. I think I like your idea better.

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
546 Posts
Great idea regarding TPMS . I was on the fence but probably should do that to. Glad your 890r has been rock solid. Debating about s22 or getting different style tire like road 5. I think I like your idea better.
I really like the cup 2’s, but I’m up at sunrise and during the winter months there is a lot of fog that wets the roads. As I’m down to the wear bears on the rear it’s been getting slippery. I’m hoping the S22’s will be a bit better in those conditions. Has for the tpms I’m getting lazy in my old age. 😏 And since I always play music when I ride I thought it might be nice to have the controls for music.

·
Registered
204 Posts
8000km on my '20 890r and so far front brake light/pressure switch replaced and waiting for parts to fix leaking thermostat housing. Brake switch did not fail completely but front lever required a lot more travel/pressure before light came on (as compared to rear lever). Worth checking.
Also starting to consider rear tyre replacement. Looking for tyre with more road orientation but same lean characteristics/ or replace both as a set/ or another oem pc2 rear to see the front out. Not sure yet. Will also fit tpms at the same time.
Bluetooth module also on order. Want to listen to music but found no better way to control playback and, currently, nav volume just stays at level from start of ride.

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
546 Posts
8000km on my '20 890r and so far front brake light/pressure switch replaced and waiting for parts to fix leaking thermostat housing. Brake switch did not fail completely but front lever required a lot more travel/pressure before light came on (as compared to rear lever). Worth checking.
Also starting to consider rear tyre replacement. Looking for tyre with more road orientation but same lean characteristics/ or replace both as a set/ or another oem pc2 rear to see the front out. Not sure yet. Will also fit tpms at the same time.
Bluetooth module also on order. Want to listen to music but found no better way to control playback and, currently, nav volume just stays at level from start of ride.
I’m going to replace both with the S22’s. As I mentioned before the tires need to handle wet pavement better. That and the cup 2’s are slow to warm up in cooler weather. In the summer they were perfect. :)

I also installed the stiffer front and rear springs. They made a huge difference for my extra weight. I still need to sort on the sag and suspension settings. I’m just getting some mileage on them before I start making adjustments.

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
546 Posts
One last item is the 15t front sprocket. It has given me a broader range of usable gears. The bike is geared to high for the riding I do. I can see you would need the 16t for faster tracks. I have purchased the Nemo 2 oiler. But I have not installed it yet.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts