KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
i realise this is an old post but thought i'd mention i retired my 790 to a track bike with 65,000km's trouble free and i give the engine a hard time....
tbh - Track bike engines generally get fairly well treated. The worst thing for engines is stop/start city traffic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
tbh - Track bike engines generally get fairly well treated. The worst thing for engines is stop/start city traffic.
it did 65000km's before i turned it into a track bike, on the track the engine/gearbox are under constant lhigher strain.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Same here. My 790 has 12000 miles. Not a thing. The bike has a tiny oil seep. Dealer said ez fix no charge. When you bring it in for the valves I’ll take care of if.
I am very happy with this bike. With the addition of the Austrian made Coober fuel regulator, open air box and unrestricted Wings pipe it makes 106 hp and ample torque. Very close to the &90 in stock. For me this bike lacks nothing.
I’ll be riding it on the track in July for the level 3
CA SUPERBIKE SCHOOL at The Ridge in Shelton WA. I’ll be celebrating my 81st birthday.
Amazing! I don't have words. Hope life is as good to me. Thanks for sharing your story and you're an inspiration. Nice seeing it being done to the fullest

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Good that those with trouble free or only minor issues are chiming in to give any future searchers on this thread a fair and balanced perspective. I hope even more of you out there with trouble free experience will continue to post here. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
10 000+km's and only the well known coolant leak atm. Dealer said it is thermostat issue, so they are going to replace it. Gotta check my warranty tho. Though it is 2 years but now I'm reading "1 year for R models"

·
Registered
217 Posts
This rider seems to have trusted this 790 enough to rack up 52,000 miles

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
546 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KTM 890 Duke R
9 Posts
Wish I could say the same as the rest here but I'm going on week 6 of my 890 at the dealer.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
588 Posts
For me the only items of mention would be a replaced CCS seal and a slightly loose radiator hose clamp. Plus the tires keep wearing out and have yet to figure out why. :rolleyes:

Bike has been solid for right at 5000 miles.

The only time I worry about my 790 is when it is parked outside at a hotel. I always breathe a sigh of relief when I find it unmolested the next morning.

Don't worry, bee happy and ride it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Wish I could say the same as the rest here but I'm going on week 6 of my 890 at the dealer.
Sorry to hear that. I can relate. Hoping to pick up my 790 this week after about same time at dealership. What the issue with you bike. Have faith it'll get better. That's what I'm trying to do. There seems to be a price for such a fun bike.

·
Registered
2020 KTM 890 Duke R
9 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I can relate. Hoping to pick up my 790 this week after about same time at dealership. What the issue with you bike. Have faith it'll get better. That's what I'm trying to do. There seems to be a price for such a fun bike.
Not sure yet, waiting on the dealer for more info. I don't agree that over a month in the shop should be considered a normal "price to pay" to have any bike. I understand my, and your, experience is not the norm for these bikes. Nonetheless it's unfortunate, frustrating and should not be the cost of having a fun bike.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Not sure yet, waiting on the dealer for more info. I don't agree that over a month in the shop should be considered a normal "price to pay" to have any bike. I understand my, and your, experience is not the norm for these bikes. Nonetheless it's unfortunate, frustrating and should not be the cost of having a fun bike.
I get what you're saying. Just hoping the best for you and the rest of us invested in KTM so that we spend more time riding than identify problems. You're right, it's one thing to have a problem but the waiting for resolution is a real grind. Covid and delays have a lot to do with it. I've spoken to service managers at Kawasaki and Triumph (got a z900rs and speed triple rs) and both had issues with parts. Let's keep our fingers crossed .

·
Registered
2018 Duke 390, 2017 Street Triple 675R, 2021 Duke 890R
44 Posts
Good that those with trouble free or only minor issues are chiming in to give any future searchers on this thread a fair and balanced perspective. I hope even more of you out there with trouble free experience will continue to post here. Thanks everyone.
5k miles on the clock and nothing to report but a lot of good times.

·
Registered
56 Posts
ATM I own 2 KTMs, a 2015 Adventure 1050 and a 2018 Duke 790.

Its interesting comparing the quality of the 2 bikes, the 1050 is budget version of the 1190 Adventure but you wouldn't know it, the budget side is really just missing features rather than lower quality.

Whereas the 790 really is a budget bike (by KTM standards) which is shown by the niggling faults that are showing up and the budget parts like the JJuan brakes, cable clutch, budget suspension, but that's ok.

Its obvious from the new 890 that KTM realise they went a bit too budget with the 790 and have vastly improved things with 890.

Not selling my 790 though 👍

·
Registered
93 Posts
20,000 happy km for my mostly stock 790D. Cat delete pipe and booster plug are the only non-cosmetic mods. Runs like a dream and no need for any more power imo. Has recently started the revving at cold start issue and three times in 2 years had the ignition cutout when motor cold and in low gear when just trundling along. Never had more fun on a bike. Cheers all 😎

·
Registered
127 Posts
Its obvious from the new 890 that KTM realise they went a bit too budget with the 790 and have vastly improved things with 890.
...but have they really? Its my understanding that it shares a lot of the same part numbers, so essentially a cheap bike going super fast.:p

·
Registered
200 Posts
...but have they really? Its my understanding that it shares a lot of the same part numbers, so essentially a cheap bike going super fast.:p
They share a of the same parts, yes, but the updated parts are a big chunk of the "complaints" about the 790. Brakes, suspension, motor, levers, etc are all a pretty decent step up from it. I'd have picked up a 790 for a deal if the changes on the 890 weren't such a big deal for going faster, safer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Reaching 5000 miles on my 2020 890 Duke R bought in June 2020 (early purchase). Only issues I have experienced are covered under warranty

1) Countershaft Sprocket seal had to be replaced twice. The last seal was installed 2 months ago and I was told that the factory redesigned the seal to avoid the weeping. It has held since

2) When I first bought the bike, the brake switch on the front brake was faulty. This was replaced under warranty.

No other issues and I sleep well so far. Only time will tell going forward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Being that my 790 Duke is once again at the dealer awaiting a major warranty repair, I wonder if I'll ever be able to trust my bike. How about you 890r owners. Do you trust your bike ? I know you love it but do you trust it.
Bought my 2021 2 weeks ago. Went in for first service end of last week. Yesterday, Sunday August 8th, went on a 553 mile ride. Got home last night and put her on the stand was going to perform chain maintenance and just give the bike a good looking over. I've owned 2 previous ktm's and both had given me plenty of issues so I knew what I was getting into with this one. They sometimes take a little sorting out.

Well last night I discovered that the coolant is leaking. All of the header bolts have walked out almost fully and FIVE bolts are missing from various places on the motor itself plus the 2 bolts that hold the tank cover in place.

I'm a little bit upset this morning. Just going to drop it off at the dealer tomorrow. For the record I'm not hard on vehicles and generally take good care of them. This is 100% on ktm. Nothing I've done has been out of the ordinary. Ktm's quality control is lacking in my honest opinion.

I hate this it's such an amazing bike. I'm 6'2 and 245 pounds and I'm very comfortable on the motorcycle. I was wanting to tour on it but now I'm not sure. I'll likely keep it till warranty runs out and go back to Yamaha or Kawasaki.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts