KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am interested in buying an aftermarket exhaust for my duke 890. Now I'm looking for the S1 from SC Project and i run in a doubt, if the the passenger, in particular with S1 Exhaust from SC, touches with the leg the end part of the muffler.
If someone that often travel with the passenger and has got the S1 exhaust from SC Project of other similar aftermarket mufflers can help me, saying if it could be a problem for the passenger.
Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exhaust, standard or aftermarket, sits behind the passenger footpeg bracket, so I can't see any passenger leg interface issues.
But obviously owners with this exhaust and rear pegs still fitted can confirm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exhaust, standard or aftermarket, sits behind the passenger footpeg bracket, so I can't see any passenger leg interface issues.
But obviously owners with this exhaust and rear pegs still fitted can confirm.
I have tried with a passenger and with the original exhaust, le lower part of the leg touches the end of the muffler on the heat protection, i don't known if a aftermarket exhaust get less hot than the original one, but before buying an expensive aftermarket exhaust I would like to be sure that it will not be a problem for the passenger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the original one there is the heat protection but in the aftermarket one not, so if the passenger touches the muffler without the heat protection could be a problem.
Thanks you, probably a owner of the S1 Sc Project can confirm this issues or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't ride with a passenger but can confirm the SCS1 gets a lot hotter than standard exhaust. The muffler gets pretty hot and the link pipe gets super hot.
Thanks for you help, in your opinion the passenger may touch the end part of the muffler by mistake and get hurt ?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks for you help, in your opinion the passenger may touch the end part of the muffler by mistake and get hurt ?
Yes, I would not recommend with regard to potential passenger burn(more from side heat than end part). I have an extended heat shield on mine to stop my boot melting but i think this is a potential issue with most slip-ons on this bike. I will also add however that the SCS1 is an awsome slip-on. The sound and quality is top notch and imo has improved my experience with the 890r.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have the S1 fitted and occasionally ride with a passenger. She's never mentioned anything about the exhaust being hot or burning her.
Well duh...you are supposed to mention it to her. Hence the reason OP asked the question before buying.
However, I ccould be totally wrong or there could be something wrong with my bike/exhaust. Would you mind idling your bike for about 10 mins or taking it for a ride, then grabbing a leg full of the side of exhaust, so we can confirm?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well duh...you are supposed to mention it to her. Hence the reason OP asked the question before buying.
However, I ccould be totally wrong or there could be something wrong with my bike/exhaust. Would you mind idling your bike for about 10 mins or taking it for a ride, then grabbing a leg full of the side of exhaust, so we can confirm?
😂 ok ok fair enough. So for context if my wife is riding with me I always make sure she has on jeans/riding pants and boots on. Went on a 20 min ride to lunch together and asked her if the exhaust was hot. "I can feel the warmth but it doesn't burn me". When she sits on the bike her legs are aligned with the passenger pegs, so its pretty much impossible to have contact with the can (this might be different for shorter people). I was curious .... so I rested my calf on the pipe (wearing jeans). It was definitely hot but not instant burn hot, if I would have left it there for 30 sec or so it would burn me.
I don't ride very fast with a passenger, if I was by myself and harder on the throttle I'm sure the pipe would be much hotter. In conclusion the S1 is tucked pretty far under the passenger pegs and as long as you aren't riding crazy with a passenger the chance of burning your passenger is low.

·
Registered
257 Posts
😂 ok ok fair enough. So for context if my wife is riding with me I always make sure she has on jeans/riding pants and boots on. Went on a 20 min ride to lunch together and asked her if the exhaust was hot. "I can feel the warmth but it doesn't burn me". When she sits on the bike her legs are aligned with the passenger pegs, so its pretty much impossible to have contact with the can (this might be different for shorter people). I was curious .... so I rested my calf on the pipe (wearing jeans). It was definitely hot but not instant burn hot, if I would have left it there for 30 sec or so it would burn me.
I don't ride very fast with a passenger, if I was by myself and harder on the throttle I'm sure the pipe would be much hotter. In conclusion the S1 is tucked pretty far under the passenger pegs and as long as you aren't riding crazy with a passenger the chance of burning your passenger is low.
I agree. The risk can be managed. But pillion has to be aware and unprotected leg is a no no. Even with proper gear, if against can for long enough, moving away will still hold enough heat to burn leg before cooling.
My advice to OP was based on comparison to standard exhaust, which is a work of art imo. It is amazingly engineered with no serious heat no matter what you throw at it (not just the heat shield, but the actual can as well)
Having said that...the SCS1 suits the bike to perfection. Bike sounds so much more "ready to race". But it is a "race" exhaust with "race" risks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone that helped me in the thread.
It will be useful if, also owners of other aftermarket exhaust can give quick opinion if yours exhaust could be a problem for the passenger and burn his leg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have tried with my girlfriend, she is 175 cm and she touches with the leg the end part of the heat protection. Do you think that with an 175 cm person will touch the muffler mounting the S1 from SC Project ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have tried with my girlfriend, she is 175 cm and she touches with the leg the end part of the heat protection. Do you think that with an 175 cm person will touch the muffler mounting the S1 from SC Project ?
...let me convert that to freedom units real quick 175cm so 5' 9". My wife is only an inch taller. I'll grab some pictures of her on it tonight so you can see the clearance. The SC1 can is shorter than stock and mounts a lot more tucked into the bike than stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...let me convert that to freedom units real quick 175cm so 5' 9". My wife is only an inch taller. I'll grab some pictures of her on it tonight so you can see the clearance. The SC1 can is shorter than stock and mounts a lot more tucked into the bike than stock.
Thanks you so much for your the help, It would be perfect !

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
229 Posts
LMFAO at "freedom units" ..... what a load!

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
229 Posts
That is metrically defficient to you .... lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi, i watched this thread after some times 😅, i'll be very glad if you can send some of these picture.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts