KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am in the market for a new commuter bike and I had the pleasure to ride both a 2020 790 Duke and a BMW F900R today back to back.

I will say that both bikes are awesome and if you did not know about the other you would be happy with whatever choice you made. So my thoughts on both-

Duke- Immediate throttle response, quick-shifter is addicting, SUPER slim/ light feeling, and surprisingly open and roomy cockpit. Seat is firm/ thin, legs not cramped and handlebars put you in a surprisingly upright position. For me it naturally wants to scoot along at about 75 mph on the highway, anything above that at you start to have to lean in and purposefully roll the throttle on. Bike makes me giggle and I can't wait to ride it again.

F900R- Surprisingly polished. Seat is more comfortable, dash and electronics are absolutely top-notch. Does not feel near as quick/ torque-y as the 790 and have to use noticeably more throttle to accelerate. Leg room is also noticeably more sporty/ higher and the bars are more forward then the Duke. Overall a way more sporty seating position then the Duke. I was very surprised by this. The bike I rode was bare bones. No cruise, no key-less, quick-shifter, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the F900R is a GREAT bike. If I owned one i would have to have a higher spec bike, I think in the U.S. I would go with the Select Package- GPS prep, Heated Grips, TPS, Cruise Control, Saddlebag mounts, and would ride the wheels off of it and enjoy it.

But for me and my current situation I am looking for a commuter bike to go about 40 miles each way in stop and go traffic and I think the Duke is the way to go.

Your experience and situation may be very different and that's okay!

·
136 Posts
There is one easily overlooked detail that could explain your observations about throttle response. Do you know what throttle mode the 790 was in? And, if applicable, the 900?

I expect that if the 790 was in the Sport mode, it would be noticeably more responsive than the 900 in a "standard" mode. You would have to use more throttle on the 900 to accelerate.

Good writeup.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
790404- yep, F900R is noticeably more portly with alot of that weight up high.

GOTJ- Great point. I was in just the regular Road/ Street mode, whatever for both. Wanted to make sure I was comparing apples to apples (or at least as close to each other as possible), for a good baseline comparison.

The test rides were short 10-15 stints and at a very relaxed pace so can't speak for how they are at a much quicker pace, though I could guess that the Duke would only stand out even more. Either way it's a great time to be in the market for a middle-weight naked bike!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts