KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

Which would you choose? Duc V4 or Honda cbr SP?

• Duc V4

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Honda CBR1000RR SP

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
A d m i n .
151,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between a new Ducati V4 Panigale (base), 2019, or the even nicer, 2020 base.

and a new Honda CBR1000RR SP, (2019 model, not the uber pricey 2021 coming out in June 2020 to the NA).

Which would you choose, and why?

Note: not interested in bmw, Ape, or anything else but these 2 motos, (also this is unrelated to the 790D), thanks for your input. :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Without a doubt, I chose the honda because I had one of these ancestors and the honda bikes are always (often) designed for the pilot. A remarkable efficiency emerges without giving too much effort. And there is no need to call yourself stoner or miller to do anything about it. :grin:

You understand that i will never buy a Ducati, for further reason : The fact that I laughed too much at my friend with their ducati on reliability is very important :grin:
More seriously I often find them too much oriented track to ride on the road (unconfortable, very small for tall guy, too rigid, not good on bad asphalt). It may be true now for most hypersports bikes...

That's for my help, although I have not tried either, but one thing is sure, I will not buy these models to ride on the road. :wink:

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
242 Posts
I would buy the Ducati and make it a dedicated track bike. After owning a 1098 for a decade that is the only place they belong. Absolutely horrendous street bikes.

I guess if you wanted a street bike the Honda is a better choice though.

·
A d m i n .
151,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would buy the Ducati and make it a dedicated track bike. After owning a 1098 for a decade that is the only place they belong. Absolutely horrendous street bikes.

What makes it horrendous? The heavy steering? Have you ridden the new V4? Entirely different animal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
On the basis that you had to live with the bike and ride it on public roads - without a doubt the Honda. Still remembering my 1999 VFR. 20 years older than the KTM I have just bought, but what a wonderful bike to own. Only 781cc but the torque in top from 3000 rpm was way better than the 790.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Personally, I would opt for the Honda. Ducs for me are way to small....meaning not comfy. Even the CBRs for me are a bit on the smaller side, which is why I opted for an R1 originally. I would love to own a Duc, but I think the reliability of a Honda is better than a Duc though I have NOTHING to base that statement on! They are both awesome machines! Get one of each!

·
A d m i n .
151,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally, I would opt for the Honda. Ducs for me are way to small....meaning not comfy. Even the CBRs for me are a bit on the smaller side, which is why I opted for an R1 originally. I would love to own a Duc, but I think the reliability of a Honda is better than a Duc though I have NOTHING to base that statement on! They are both awesome machines! Get one of each!
Well, I'm not 6 ft nineteen, like you, hombre, (grin).

My height: 6'1".

The Honda is super-small, I like this. The Duc is small too. It seems they made it much more roadworthy with the V4 & new design, as well as longer maint intervals. These aren't like the 996 or 998's of back in the day, in terms of maint & reliability. They also ride a ffff lot better than the previous L-twin variety. :smile_big:

·
Registered
415 Posts
2 of my mates with 1299S, booked a test ride on the V4S, they were getting services on their bikes, the shop gave then a Honda SP they had traded in, so they could both go out at the same time and switch bikes. They said the V4 was brutal in slow traffic, the Honda was a breeze, with much nicer slow speed manners and easier to steer slowly, The Duc got very hot too. Out on the road once above 120kph the V4 just halled arse, felt amazing, angry like a race bike, very direct and single focused, the Honda was smooth, beautiful steering, deceptively fast. Both guys are stead fast Ducatists, but both were very impressed with the all-round ability of the Honda. But if opening their wallet, it would be the Ducati, its got the pedigree to raise hairs on the back of your neck at start up, and was insanely fast out on the open road.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Excellent observations, Dave, many thanks for your input.
PS JD if you were asking me which bike, i couldn't look past the V4 Duc, power and passion, a weekend weapon, a total track weapon, A bike you could just lie on the floor and admire. The Honda , smooth and predictable,great open road weapon and very good on the track, and very commutable, a doit all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Honda is by far the better bike.

I had a V4S for 5500 miles and the thing was a piece of trash. None stop issues, it's fun when it works (which is hardly ever) as it's supposed to. For the price, no one should even consider it.

Why have you not looked at the new BMW? I put 7000 miles on mine so far this year and there isn't a better bike currently out for the money, especially if you go for a race red package and skip the M. This bike once flashed with Brentuning stage 1 eats the Ducati all day long. Works as it should, a very refined machine with just about all the bells and whistles you'll ever get on a bike...period. Some **** that shouldn't even be on a superbike.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Both impressive

Head says Honda
Heart says Ducati

Like others have said it depends on the use case.
I will have to agree with the above.

Rode a modified 2004 CBR1000RR for 7 years. Upgraded suspension and brakes made it a sweet handling and stopping bike, for both track and street. Was amazingly easy to ride, too. Never lacked power, although there were other things out there with much more.

Somehow, being so easy to ride made it really fast.

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
242 Posts

What makes it horrendous? The heavy steering? Have you ridden the new V4? Entirely different animal.
It’s not meant to be on the street, the bike wants to be opened up everywhere. When the limit is 35-55 on most roads the Ducati just isn’t meant for it. When it gets up to speed and the tires warm it handles beautifully, an amazing bike for sure at the track. After 27k miles though on my old Ducati I got tired of wrestling it around town and at saner speeds. As you said the heavy steering, the aggressiveness of the motor down low, the ergonomics all are too much for an everyday bike.

I’ll try a V4 one day but I’m very happy with the duke. To each their own and different use cases for different bikes. Don’t get me wrong I LOVED my 1098 and took it all over the east coast. From the track to the dragon (twice) to 500 plus mile Sunday’s. It was a blast but I got a bit older and wanted something easier.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Bit off topic sorry but it’ll be interesting to see what Honda come up with for next years cbr, possibly a game changer?
Been a surprisingly long time for the big H not to have a cbr do the business.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
When the limit is 35-55 on most roads the Ducati just isn’t meant for it...

I’ll try a V4. To each their own and different use cases for different bikes...
Agree on both counts.

BTW, what sportbike (over 300CC :wink:) is really suitable for 35-55 mile roads and will be able to stretch its stride?

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
2 of my mates with 1299S, booked a test ride on the V4S,.
When you are describing the Honda, it sounds like you are describing, well... a Honda. Easy to ride was always a goal with the CBR's. The idea was that for 90% of riders it would mean being faster.

Ducatis look good, sound great and are amazing machines. In the right hands they are very fast. Easy to ride was never a goal with them, though.

As far as living with a bike, Honda will be easier, cheaper and more of a logical choice.

But we don't ride bike for logical reasons. Do we?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts