KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have been trying to see how the DRL works. The manual says (if set to on) it will remain on all the time, except when the low beam is on due to low light conditions. Then it switches off? I can’t seem to be able to see it or how it functions during a ride.

I’d like to keep the DRL on and the headlamp off during the day, and at night or low light, the headlight comes on and the DRL stays on. Does anyone know if this is how it works or can you enlighten me?!!

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Never looked into this in detail, really, but as far as I am aware US DOT or FMVSS regulations in the US mandate light on motorcycles, day and night. On my CBR, RC and Kawi I could not turn them off.

Or did I get your question wrong?

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i had one light always on on my old bike as well. I figured that the DRL would suffice for this vs the low beam. I need to have a friend sit on it in 1st gear with the clutch in. I guess if it’s while moving it would be on in this situation?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think I know how this works.

If the DRL is enabled in the menu, then DRL LED halo will illuminate when the ambient light sensor detects that there is enough ambient light to not require the dimmed headlight.

If the ambient light sensor thinks it's too dark (think dusk onwards) then the headlight low beam will illuminate instead of the DRL.

If you disable the DRL in the menu, then the headlight low beam will illuminate instead of the DRL all the time, regardless of ambient lighting conditions.

There's a caution in the manual (DRL is on pages 69-70) that if it's foggy that the DRL may not be enough to be seen even though there is still enough ambient light for the sensor not to switch to low beam automatically. In that case it suggests you should disable the DRL in the menu - so you get the low beam instead.

There are cautions about obeying the local regulations too - I've no idea what they are other than in the UK.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have my DRL set to "on" and I noticed that the bottom set of LEDs come on in daylight. When it's dark enough, the regular low beam LEDs switch on and the bottom set turn off.

·
Registered
140 Posts
you can 'play' with it by covering the light sensor.
it's a small rounded rectangle above the middle of the screen at the top.
In bright daylight you can put your thumb over it and it will think it's night.
remove your thumb and wait about 10 seconds

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That makes complete sense DMA. I never thought there was a dimmed low beam automatic mode. I thought just low and high. DJ and Magnets, I will play around with this also and see if I can make out the same as what you guys are saying. Good call!!

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I was looking at something at the federal level, but have not been able to find the actual regulation. I did find a lot of state regulations regarding DRL on motorcycles, or the use of light during daytime, which is mandatory.

As far as the manual, here is what is says (in the PDF manual I have it is on page 80):

Reading this is looks like if you choose to turn DRL off, you will have low beam running constantly.

Pretty much was already said in some of the posts above.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thats exactly it @QCS - the DRL is designed to use the LEDs unless it's too dark when it will switch to the low beam automatically.

I think most places require bikes to have lights on all the time these days.

If it's foggy then you want the headlight on as it penetrates better so you can be seen - hence the caution i the manual.

So turn off the DRL in the menu when it's looking dodgy out there - it's always better to be seen!

On almost all of the other bikes I've owned I added always on fog lights, but there's nowhere to really put them on the 790 without spoiling the looks of it.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right! That page is what sparked my question in the first place. I guess I took it that the DRL (when on) means the head light (low beam) is off. If the low beam is always on anyway, why even bother with having a DRL around the top, other than for a cool effect?

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Maybe they didn't like having low beam on all the time or for that cool effect. Who knows. It's just a design decision, I guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Could someone clarify exactly which light is DRL please?
Either I don't understand or something is wrong with my bike.
I thought it's the outer semi-circle one, and inner cluster of double lights are the low/high beams. I thought that because that outer ring doesn't seem to illuminate much and seems to only help for others to see me. But that doesn't seem to be the case. During daytime the lower set of inner cluster are on (drl?), and when in shade those are off and outer ring lights up (low beam?). But that can't be right either, because with "drl off" the outer ring never lights up, and only inner lights work. Seems to me the low beam and drl are swapped in the logic of which light should be on during the day.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@ MGL, you are right. The DRL is the outer semi ring that should remain lit with the DRL "on" in the settings. The actual low and high beams are inside the housing. Sounds like what you are describing is more involved than just swapped. Although, I haven't really verified what you are saying in the daylight and in the shade. I do know that my low beam is always on, regardless. I think my DRL (outer ring) is always on as well.

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
242 Posts
Had my DRL on yesterday, after turning it off since day one, i almost got hit twice which was clearly because the cars couldnt see me as well as usual. I turned it back off at the next stop light, id rather keep the ring and low beam on at all times.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Had my DRL on yesterday, after turning it off since day one, i almost got hit twice which was clearly because the cars couldnt see me as well as usual. I turned it back off at the next stop light, id rather keep the ring and low beam on at all times.
Sounds like bad luck. Had my DRLs on since I bought the bike and haven't deduced that people can't see me at all.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Went outside and tested this out. Threw a glove over the light sensor...

DRL
thumbnail (14).jpeg

Low beam
thumbnail (15).jpeg

High beam
thumbnail (16).jpeg

From what I can tell, the DRL is actually a little more noticeable than the low beam.

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
242 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts